Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

BYU PROTEST!!!

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

One has to appreciate the sign with the rainbow behind the Y.  Where can I get one of those?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
32 minutes ago, pokebball said:

One has to appreciate the sign with the rainbow behind the Y.  Where can I get one of those?

0jbty3x3bph11.png

A 300-strong student protest at YBU? Damn, there may actually be hope for that school to enter the 21st century! (Maybe by the 22nd?)

Mormons rock! YBU not so much.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A 300-strong student protest at YBU? Damn, there may actually be hope for that school to enter the 21st century! (Maybe by the 22nd?)

Mormons rock! YBU not so much.

300 students at a school with 30K+ enrollment barely registers a blip unfortunately...  and I’m on the side of the protesters here.  I detested the HC and it’s enforcement at BYU (though it’s not nearly as harsh as those not familiar with BYU assume and pretend to know it is).  

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

300 students at a school with 30K+ enrollment barely registers a blip unfortunately...  and I’m on the side of the protesters here.  I detested the HC and it’s enforcement at BYU (though it’s not nearly as harsh as those not familiar with BYU assume and pretend to know it is).  

From what I read, most of the protesters weren't even BYU students, and have never been affiliated with BYU.   Maybe they are Ute fans?   Was JackMormon in attendance (he said he used to protest Dave Rose recruiting at the MTC)?  Odd that they got that passionate about BYU, if true.

Honestly, I don't really care about the honor code.  I agree they need to modernize it.  But it barely registered a thought from me while I was at BYU.   I didn't really experience this gestapo mentality that a few others claim to have experienced.   I didn't really pay attention to, or care, about what other students were up to, either.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

From what I read, most of the protesters weren't even BYU students, and have never been affiliated with BYU.   Maybe they are Ute fans?   Was JackMormon in attendance (he said he used to protest Dave Rose recruiting at the MTC)?  Odd that they got that passionate about BYU, if true.

Honestly, I don't really care about the honor code.  I agree they need to modernize it.  But it barely registered a thought from me while I was at BYU.   I didn't really experience this gestapo mentality that a few others claim to have experienced.   I didn't really pay attention to, or care, about what other students were up to, either.

Ahh, so that's were all the buses filled with Poke fans were heading.  It all makes sense now.

Also, I find it disturbing that you don't care abut the honor code.  WTF does it mean then?

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Ahh, so that's were all the buses filled with Poke fans were heading.  It all makes sense now.

Also, I find it disturbing that you don't care abut the honor code.  WTF does it mean then?

Disturbing?

What I mean, is that I didn't really find the honor code all that intrusive, on a personal level.

Most of it is stuff like:  Don't cheat on tests, don't use bad language (your friend, the #1Stunner is guilty), or do stuff that Mormons are already expected to do (don't drink coffee, and attend Church).   So, it's not like a huge deal if you are already a Mormon.

The thing I don't like is the Sex-based discipline---that you can get probation from the school (like sit out a Semester of College), if you get it on before marriage.   I think that needs to stop, and is definitely odd.  That's a matter between a Church leader and the individual, if they want it to be.

Other than that, what I am missing, that you find disturbing?   I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Disturbing?

What I mean, is that I didn't really find the honor code all that intrusive, on a personal level.

Most of it is stuff like:  Don't cheat on tests, or do stuff that Mormons are already expected to do (don't drink coffee, and attend Church).   So, it's not like a huge deal if you are already a Mormon.

The thing I don't like is the Sex-based discipline---that you can get probation from the school (like sit out a Semester of College), if you get it on before marriage.   I think that needs to stop, and is definitely odd.  That's a matter between a Church leader and the individual, if they want it to be.

Other than that, what I am missing, that you find disturbing?   I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to.

All I meant was if one agrees to the code, then says they don't care about it, it doesn't mean anything, right?

I will be able to live my life, eat and sleep.  It's not disturbing in that deep kind of way.  I'll have a beer after work and be just fine :) 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, pokebball said:

All I meant was if one agrees to the code, then says they don't care about it, it doesn't mean anything, right?

I'm sorry, that's not what I meant to say.  

I was trying to convey that it didn't really occupy my thoughts.   I mean, if you already decide you aren't going to cheat on a test, steal property, etc., you just make the choice, and don't really live your life dwelling on it right?  That's the same for really anyone.

23 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Disturbing?

Most of it is stuff like:  Don't cheat on tests, don't use bad language (your friend, the #1Stunner is guilty), or do stuff that Mormons are already expected to do (don't drink coffee, and attend Church).   So, it's not like a huge deal if you are already a Mormon.

I remember that about 15 years ago there was an African American running back from the Ventura, CA area who SDSU offered but you guys got who was suspended and later kicked out for what his family said was admitting to premarital sex. Ronnie somebody? I can't imagine why a black kid from SoCal whose family isn't Mormon would attend BYU if other schools were willing to pay for his education.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I remember that about 15 years ago there was an African American running back from the Ventura, CA area who SDSU offered but you guys got who was suspended and later kicked out for what his family said was admitting to premarital sex. Ronnie somebody? I can't imagine why a black kid from SoCal whose family isn't Mormon would attend BYU if other schools were willing to pay for his education.

Ronnie Jenkins.

Yes, he was kicked out for not following the honor code---having sex outside of marriage, and fathering a kid, I think.  He transferred to a different school afterwards. 

But....the guy is still around, and is apparently still a big fan of BYU.   He's been invited back to BYU media day.   And his professional career benefited from attending BYU.   He got NFL and CFL opportunities from BYU alums.

Being a former BYU athlete opens many, many doors for these guys.  Even after football. 

https://www.ksl.com/article/40590719/welcome-back-ronney-former-byu-running-back-a-welcome-alumni-return