Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada schedules neutral site game with St. Mary’s

1 minute ago, Jaredcg said:

Nevada’s schedule is shaping up better then last years. 

I don't know about that at least right now. We played Utah last year, we played BYU last year, we played USC last year. We should have played Davidson last year but they pushed that off and there is a possibility we could buy our ways out of that game like we did against Rhode Island.

You could say St. Mary's replaces Arizona St

So right now I see it as the same sort of schedule as last year right now. 

I think right now the tournament we are in, the schedule from that could set some things up.

However we still have more games to schedule. The Pacific agreement is over and i don't know if they will sign another one even though that series is our longest running series I think. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

I don't know about that at least right now. We played Utah last year, we played BYU last year, we played USC last year. We should have played Davidson last year but they pushed that off and there is a possibility we could buy our ways out of that game like we did against Rhode Island.

You could say St. Mary's replaces Arizona St

So right now I see it as the same sort of schedule as last year right now. 

I think right now the tournament we are in, the schedule from that could set some things up.

However we still have more games to schedule. The Pacific agreement is over and i don't know if they will sign another one even though that series is our longest running series I think. 

Part of that is I believe usc and Utah will be a lot better then last year. Also the tourney is better then the crappy Vegas tourney

16 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Part of that is I believe usc and Utah will be a lot better then last year. Also the tourney is better then the crappy Vegas tourney

The strength of the teams they are playing kind of a roll of the dice. We thought they would be good last year and we saw what happened with them.

Tulsa was a solid team who kind of fell apart at the end of the season last year and did finish in the Top 100 which you can't say for any team, except for Cincinnati, that we might be playing in the tourney this year. However a lot does depend on who we play in the tournament as well. And there are questions this season with how good will Cincinnati be this year compared to last year as well. I expect them to take a step back a bit.

It would be a lot easier to go to the paper and say hey this will be a good schedule this year then trying to guess how good or bad might be this year LOL

I also think some of our other MWC did get better tournaments.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:16 PM, bigd said:

Great to finally schedule them again, hope we destroy them this time. I'm happy every time they get left out of the tourney because they refuse to play anyone on the road.

Timing is king, if Nevada loses the bulk of their projected starting players, Alford or not it could be ugly. Plus throw in the rumor Brown is headed to Cal with Fox and Trent.

6 hours ago, westfan said:

Timing is king, if Nevada loses the bulk of their projected starting players, Alford or not it could be ugly. Plus throw in the rumor Brown is headed to Cal with Fox and Trent.

I am prepared for next season to be a throw away year.  But I am still optimistic.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, wolfpack1 said:

Well I don't think so because of three reasons.

1) the coach did say he would play Nevada at a neutral site as well, they just didn't want to come to Reno.

2) At least according to some of their fans, there has been a change in a scheduling philosophy over the last few years where some are saying they feel schools, unless they are bigger schools or in some type of tournament, should be coming to Moraga not the other way around. 

3) they had a game at Grand Canyon scheduled for last season but bought themselves out of that game which I think read was around $200,000 to get out of. And they also pulled out of that Hawaiian Islands Tournament last year to replace those games with a home game against Bucknell and a road game against Western Kentucky. 

So for me personally I don't it has anything to do with pinching pennies, i just don't think they want to play Nevada in Reno.

They got left out of a tournament largely for scheduling like you just described.  Under the new rules, they have to play some road games if they want to dance. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

6 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

They got left out of a tournament largely for scheduling like you just described.  Under the new rules, they have to play some road games if they want to dance. 

Play road games and get exposed. That’s the problem. 

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

They don't have to do anything. The big misconception that people have about the NET ratings is it would make some teams go on the road when that wasn't going to happen. If anything I think you will be seeing an increase in neutral site games probably. Last year St. Mary's only played two true road games during OOC, otherwise they were all home games or neutral site games. They are probably going to schedule the same this year as last year. 

This new system isn't other than probably seeing more neutral site games, really won't change scheduling for most schools.