Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

IYHO which MWC teams are your tier #1 & #2 Rivals in Fball?

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

For CSU...

Tier 1:  WYO and CU (this is dying), and Minnesota.

Tier 2:  AFA (was tier one once), UNM, USU getting there in a hurry.

BYU was big for us once, BSU is the one I'm hoping emerges.

Tier 3:  Nah, that's carrying it too far.

Curious as to why AFA is no longer tier one for you?  Also, how do you let an out of conference furry little golden rodent get all up in your rivals?  Serious question :P

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I don't feel like we have any Tier 1 rivals. It definitely used to be Idaho, but that has been gone for quite some time, even before the Conference realignment stuff, and the Vandals having to return to the Big Sky.

We certainly have a lot of history with Nevada, and they are definitely a game that peaks interest when we play them, but even with that 2010 loss I don't get any intense hatred for them. And outside of message boards I never hear anyone talk about playing them as if it is any big deal. 

Fresno doesn't feel like a Rivalry to me either, and we have way less history with the Bulldogs than we do with the Pack.

The BYU game is what it is, it's a nice OOC match up for us, and there is enough overlap in the fanbase, and they are close to us geographically that it gets quite a bit of buzz considering they aren't even in our Conference and the games don't really mean anything in the big picture.

I would honestly like to see a Rivalry develop with Utah State. I think they closer to us than Nevada is, it's an easy drive, the program has really solidified since they joined the MWC, and the fans are passionate. Seems like they will get to be a bit more on our radar if they stay consistent. 

I would second this and add that being in the same division should help in developing a rivalry. Until the Aggies win a couple in Boise I'm not sure it will be considered a rivalry to most fans on both sides.

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

For CSU...

Tier 1:  WYO and CU (this is dying), and Minnesota.

Tier 2:  AFA (was tier one once), UNM, USU getting there in a hurry.

BYU was big for us once, BSU is the one I'm hoping emerges.

Tier 3:  Nah, that's carrying it too far.

HB >> How do you place AFA as a Tier #2 rival ??  I believe 90% of RamNation would rank AFA as Tier #1, and they'd agree that Tier #2 is UNM & USU (still developing).

I assume you are kidding about Minn, right?    

Phuck all you MW losers, FS only views CA PAC12 teams as true rivals.

This thread is so Karl Benson...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

22 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Imho for Nevada the big 3 are Boise State, Fresno State and UNLV

Incorrect. 

Tier 1 for Nevada is Arkansas.

Tier 2 is Alabama. 

Nobody else moves the needle. Discuss. 

23 hours ago, RAMification said:

Hmmmm.... interesting.  

BSU really needed to get invited to the MWC 4 to 5 yrs before they finally did.  There'd have been some total Dog-Fights among that Top Tier of UU/TCU/BYU/BSU... sadly CSU had fallen into disrepair by then.  Still, those rivalries woulda been broken up when the P5's swooped in to steal UU & TCU.  But some great Fball until then!

It’s not like Boise State didn’t try for a decade before they were accepted. I’m not sure who the MWC naysayers were. Maybe you can enlighten me. 

20 hours ago, edluvar said:

I would judge a rivalry the way anyone else would.  Fan interest would be tops.  BSU playing Idaho is a much more electric game than Fresno or Reno.  They bring a couple hundred fans Idaho brings thousands.   

I agree with this.  BSU fans and Idaho fans are pretty intense. 

8 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

I agree with this.  BSU fans and Idaho fans are pretty intense. 

It was as good as any rivalry in the country. Not saying anybody else in the country knew about it but the hatred was great. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

4 hours ago, RAMification said:

HB >> How do you place AFA as a Tier #2 rival ??  I believe 90% of RamNation would rank AFA as Tier #1, and they'd agree that Tier #2 is UNM & USU (still developing).

Rivalry between two similar B1G teams.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

4 hours ago, RAMification said:

Great question sir.  In my mind there are at most two tier 1 rivals for any team.  With Wyo and CU there is vitriole.  No problem selling out either team in our house (you'll see next year).  Family members that claim the opponent as an alma mater don't speak for weeks because of that FB game.  As you know I don't personally care as much about the CU rivalry as most of our fan base for a number of reasons, but if I'm speaking for The RAMS I get that it's extremely important to most and the most important to some.   With AFA, it's intense but not at the same level.  It's not like the Sonny/Fischer days anymore.  Maybe that changes when CU goes away?  The CU rivalry is tough for me because it takes two to tangle, and the game's just not as important to them.  The series is forced by the legislature, and they have tried multiple times to walk away from it.

In the new MWC CSU has a strong rivalry developing with USU and obviously desires enough results to make that occur with BSU.  Too much history with AFA to not consider it a rivalry (BTW that RAM/Falcon trophy looks like it was made in woodshop but that's beside the point), but I just don't see the fanbases emotion for that game at the same level as the two I listed as tier one.

Minnesota was a running board joke for a while.

Only teams (rivals) I give a shit about in order of giving a shit:

Football: UNR, BYU, and Hawaii. UNLV should play these teams every year. 

Basketball: UNR, BYU, SDSU, and Arizona. UNLV should play these teams every year. 

Everyone else can +++++ right off. 

11 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I don't feel like we have any Tier 1 rivals. It definitely used to be Idaho, but that has been gone for quite some time, even before the Conference realignment stuff, and the Vandals having to return to the Big Sky.

We certainly have a lot of history with Nevada, and they are definitely a game that peaks interest when we play them, but even with that 2010 loss I don't get any intense hatred for them. And outside of message boards I never hear anyone talk about playing them as if it is any big deal. 

Fresno doesn't feel like a Rivalry to me either, and we have way less history with the Bulldogs than we do with the Pack.

The BYU game is what it is, it's a nice OOC match up for us, and there is enough overlap in the fanbase, and they are close to us geographically that it gets quite a bit of buzz considering they aren't even in our Conference and the games don't really mean anything in the big picture.

I would honestly like to see a Rivalry develop with Utah State. I think they closer to us than Nevada is, it's an easy drive, the program has really solidified since they joined the MWC, and the fans are passionate. Seems like they will get to be a bit more on our radar if they stay consistent. 

Agreed. It's on USU to win a few more games against Boise. I'd like to see a rivalry, would be a lot of fun for both schools.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Surprised no CSU fan has mentioned their bitter rivalry with Minnesota. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

7 hours ago, RAMification said:

I think HB was really shook seeing Collin Hill take this crushing hit vs Minnesota.  The rivalry was born!

On 4/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, nvspuds said:

Imho for Nevada the big 3 are Boise State, Fresno State and UNLV

I don’t really consider Fresno a true rival, though I probably should. I just don’t hate them like I hate UNLV and Boise. I always root for Fresno against the other two. 

9 hours ago, nvspuds said:

The current version of the MW is much like the later versions of the WAC..Primarily, a marriage of convenience for schools in the west that don't have a lot of options..Hard to really generate new rivalries..

I respectfully disagree.  I think each division is set up to make a lot of really good rivalries for schools, but it will take some time and something of consequences on the line.  Ruining another schools shot at a title game, bowl game, Access Bowl, etc.  There isn't much chance for cross division rivalries to develop, except for probably Boise but if the schools continue to invest in their programs and can start winning more, this conference has a shot to be a lot of fun again. Or it could disintegrate.

Wyoming  for me:

Tier 1--CSU

Tier 2--USU (really good chance to move to tier 1 if back and forth continues).  AFA.  Hawaii.  I really wish Wyoming played Hawaii every year and that UW could play them in all sports.  

I really like the game with UNM, but it doesn't feel like a rivalry.  The two fan bases have too much fun.  

11 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Nevada

Tier 1

UNLV

Tier 2

Boise St. Fresno St.

BSU used to be Tier 1, but ever since we both joined the MW, it has been subdued. Soon BSU may not make the list and will be replaced by SDSU.

It really bugs me that this conference can’t figure out a way for Nevada and Boise to play every year.