Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

IYHO which MWC teams are your tier #1 & #2 Rivals in Fball?

Guest #1Stunner

Since BYU is mentioned a few times here, I'll list what I think BYU's rivals are (and take into account BYU since it went Indy)

Tier 1 - UTAH 

Tier 2 - USU, BOISE (football)

Tier 3 - UNLV (basketball), SDSU, Hawaii (football)

Most Feared (i.e., fearful for BYU fans):  Wyoming

38 minutes ago, edluvar said:

Idaho is BSUs rival.  Reno has Vegas and Fresno has San Ho and SDSU.   I would think Reno is #2 based on history.  

Idaho is not a rival anymore.  I’m not sure how you would judge a rival. I think it’s pretty much based off of how bad you want to beat someone.  Personally if the game were to start back up it wouldn’t feel anything like it did in the 80’s and 90’s for me. 

Curious who fresno fans would rather beat. Suds or bsu? Same with Reno beating bsu or Reb high. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

3 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Idaho is not a rival anymore.  I’m not sure how you would judge a rival. I think it’s pretty much based off of how bad you want to beat someone.  Personally if the game were to start back up it wouldn’t feel anything like it did in the 80’s and 90’s for me. 

Curious who fresno fans would rather beat. Suds or bsu? Same with Reno beating bsu or Reb high. 

He’s just trollin

for your second question, whichever stands between the Dogs and a title. All things being equal, Boise. Still lots of payback warranted there

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

14 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

I would judge a rivalry the way anyone else would.  Fan interest would be tops.  BSU playing Idaho is a much more electric game than Fresno or Reno.  They bring a couple hundred fans Idaho brings thousands.   

Posted Image

9 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

He’s just trollin

for your second question, whichever stands between the Dogs and a title. All things being equal, Boise. Still lots of payback warranted there

Don’t think he’s trolling. There is definitely some in the fan base who feel like Idaho is the only rival bsu can have. It was a good one. Tons of hate from sides but i would rather face Fresno and Reno every year over playing the vandals now. Things just not the same for me. 

3 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I would judge a rivalry the way anyone else would.  Fan interest would be tops.  BSU playing Idaho is a much more electric game than Fresno or Reno.  They bring a couple hundred fans Idaho brings thousands.   

Everyone’s got their definition. 

I would rather play and beat Fresno over Idaho now. 

For CSU...

Tier 1:  WYO and CU (this is dying), and Minnesota.

Tier 2:  AFA (was tier one once), UNM, USU getting there in a hurry.

BYU was big for us once, BSU is the one I'm hoping emerges.

Tier 3:  Nah, that's carrying it too far.

A decade ago it would be Boise. Im thinking the Cali Schools (Fresno/SDSU) that should be our rivals. UNLV has great potential with the whole 9th Island thing 

Related image

IMHO, for UH:

Tier 1 - Fresno State, UNLV

Tier 2 - Nevada, SJSU

Honorable Mention - SDSU, Wyoming

I know, dull list given that all but Wyoming are in our division.  But as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.

BYU would have been at the top of the list when they were conference mates but those days are long gone.  Today's fans would much rather watch UH play OOC games against Pac-12 opponents.

I don't feel like we have any Tier 1 rivals. It definitely used to be Idaho, but that has been gone for quite some time, even before the Conference realignment stuff, and the Vandals having to return to the Big Sky.

We certainly have a lot of history with Nevada, and they are definitely a game that peaks interest when we play them, but even with that 2010 loss I don't get any intense hatred for them. And outside of message boards I never hear anyone talk about playing them as if it is any big deal. 

Fresno doesn't feel like a Rivalry to me either, and we have way less history with the Bulldogs than we do with the Pack.

The BYU game is what it is, it's a nice OOC match up for us, and there is enough overlap in the fanbase, and they are close to us geographically that it gets quite a bit of buzz considering they aren't even in our Conference and the games don't really mean anything in the big picture.

I would honestly like to see a Rivalry develop with Utah State. I think they closer to us than Nevada is, it's an easy drive, the program has really solidified since they joined the MWC, and the fans are passionate. Seems like they will get to be a bit more on our radar if they stay consistent. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok