Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

20 minutes ago, Mano said:

I would guess that the danger of damaging the structure and collapsing walls and such from an airdrop of water outweigh what benefits it could have had.

This is the exact reason. I can imagine that dropping a tanker full of water would cause the scaffolding to collapse through the roof and could bring down the walls. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, sandiegopete said:

There are areas of France that are prone to wildfires and they do have airborne firefighting equipment.  Here is a story about a recent fire in France:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40725294

From what I have heard one reason air drops were not done is because of the height of the flames and the height of the buildings.  Evidently, the aircraft would have to fly too high to make an effective drop.  

What I don't get is all the people ready to second guess the firefighters on the scene.

A ridiculous belief in "American exceptionalism"; believing that we're the best at everything and no one does things as well.....especially the French:shrug:

News reports are coming out that Paris fire fighters formed a human chain inside the Cathedral while it burned to try and save as many artifacts and art pieces as possible including the thorns from Jesus Christ's Crown. Many of the larger art pieces couldn't be saved however.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/04/15/notre-dame-cathedral-interior-still-at-risk-of-collapse-firefighters/amp/

This creates opportunity for a big come together moment for the people of France, kind of like 9/11 did for the US, national pride and all that.  It would be savvy for muslim leaders to come out and say "Hey, we want to help rebuild Notre Dame.  This is our country too."

15 minutes ago, easybronc said:

This creates opportunity for a big come together moment for the people of France, kind of like 9/11 did for the US, national pride and all that.  It would be savvy for muslim leaders to come out and say "Hey, we want to help rebuild Notre Dame.  This is our country too."

Jesus dude .... just stop.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Some of the comments in here about the firefighting efforts are dumbfounding. Stop and think for a minute about what this building means to Catholics, Parisians, and the French people: There's the obvious religious significance. Countless historical artifacts. Oh, and it's probably in the top 3 most visited sites in France, which means it attracts tourist dollars for every restaurant, cafe, bakery, hotel, street merchant, etc. in Paris. Does anyone really think that every available means to put the fire out wasn't employed? 

Are there improvements that could likely be made in response time or whatever else? Probably...improvement can be made in just about every event humans are involved in. But I'm going to give these guys a break today while they mourn the loss of one of their country's most iconic landmarks. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

A ridiculous belief in "American exceptionalism"; believing that we're the best at everything and no one does things as well.....especially the French:shrug:

Why would you bring politics into destruction of a historic landmark? 

12 hours ago, renoskier said:

Actually, when it comes to fighting wildland fires, America is the best and wrote the book on fighting these fires.

down in a hole.jpg

14 hours ago, retrofade said:

They want it to be part of some grand conspiracy that ends up with some Muslim having set the fire.

No, they are resisting the estrogen fueled immediate reaction to events that has become commonplace, even on this board. 

110926run_defense710.jpg

15 hours ago, easybronc said:

You would see it that way because things look backwards when you have your head up your ass.  I'm open to different causes for the fire depending on what they find while you've ruled out arson before the investigation has started.  

You literally called the initial report suspicious because it didn't fit the narrative you wanted to have. That is the opposite of open minded.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

No, they are resisting the estrogen fueled immediate reaction to events that has become commonplace, even on this board. 

Not immediately deciding a church fire is from muslims and not suggesting a conspiracy because initial reports indicate that it was a construction accident - a far, far, far more common source of fires than muslims - is "estrogen fueled"?

Long live the matriarchy I guess

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

25 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Not immediately deciding a church fire is from muslims and not suggesting a conspiracy because initial reports indicate that it was a construction accident - a far, far, far more common source of fires than muslims - is "estrogen fueled"?

Long live the matriarchy I guess

Dude, go back and re-read the thread.  Bronc was suspicious of the immediate declaration while the fire was raging.  He used the "open mind" phrase, my hunch is he is merely reserving judgement until the root cause is known.  You and retro are the ones trying to tar and feather him for something he didn't say.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

4 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Dude, go back and re-read the thread.  Bronc was suspicious of the immediate declaration while the fire was raging.  He used the "open mind" phrase, my hunch is he is merely reserving judgement until the root cause is known.  You and retro are the ones trying to tar and feather him for something he did say.  

Dude, go back and re-read the thread. Bronc was suspicious of the only report at the time because he wanted it to be muslims. I called him out on it. He use the open minded phrase because it's pretty clear he has no concept of what "open minded" means.

Yes, we are absolutely tarring and feathering him for something he did say. Look at the thread! Homeskillet objectively stated that he wanted it to be Muslims and he found official French police statements suspicious because they didn't jibe with the position he'd already taken before there was any evidence! That is the definition of closed minded bigotry and yeah, that shit deserves a callout. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Dude, go back and re-read the thread. Bronc was suspicious of the only report at the time because he wanted it to be muslims. I called him out on it. He use the open minded phrase because it's pretty clear he has no concept of what "open minded" means.

Yes, we are absolutely tarring and feathering him for something he did say. Look at the thread! Homeskillet objectively stated that he wanted it to be Muslims and he found official French police statements suspicious because they didn't jibe with the position he'd already taken before there was any evidence! That is the definition of closed minded bigotry and yeah, that shit deserves a callout. 

Saying something is a possibility is not the same as saying it is the probable cause, nor is it wishing it to be the cause.

110926run_defense710.jpg

The fire is finally out and inspectors have gone in to evaluate the damage. It seems to be a case of it not being as bad as everyone thought. The roof is gone as it was 13th century wood, and as of right now 1 of the glass windows is gone while the other 2 sustained heavy smoke damage, the spire is gone, but for the most part everything seems to be okay. All of the major art works survived and the relics survived, there is still no word on the organ.  When the roof collapsed, the stone arches stopped the fire from destroying the hall. The replacement wood is located on the grounds of Versailles, when Notre Dame was sacked during the French Revolution they planted trees in Versailles for the oak that the structure was made from as a backup plan in case another fire broke out. 

Just now, modestobulldog said:

Saying something is a possibility is not the same as saying it is the probable cause, nor is it wishing it to be the cause.

He flat out told us he wished it was the cause dude. easybronc has had wild takes on everything since the early days of this board, don't know why you're covering for him.

20 hours ago, Broncomare said:

How many fire retardant drops have you seen in cities?  Slurry is a special mixture and you have to have special planes to drop it.  I doubt France has either of these. 

In the US, it's mostly Borate, an ammonium mixture, technically a type of fertilizer. Relatively harmless to people, but very hard to clean.