Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

I'm grateful that I was able to take a tour of Notre Dame Cathedral back in 2010 when I was studying abroad in Paris and London. My fiancee is a devout Catholic and I'm trying to comfort her as much as possible while I'm crying watching history literally go up in smoke. This is truly a sad day. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

It’s official: Too much fire fighting required, and the French have just unconditionally surrendered. MSNBC is reporting that Democrats are calling for a new investigation to determine Trumps involvement in the fire.

No, Seriously, this is just heart breaking. You’d think that they’d have some sort of hidden sprinkler system in the cathedral. Why aren’t they doing fire retardant drops from the air?Can’t believe there aren’t many many more water cannons on it. Frustrating to watch it burn without making any progress. Prayers for the French people.

kat.jpg

I'll come out and say it, I think it's arson because it's simply too coincidental for it to be an accident. It's Holy Week which is the most important week of the year for Catholics and the crown jewel of Cathedrals right behind the Vatican Basilica in Rome goes up in smoke.  

4 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I'll come out and say it, I think it's arson because it's simply too coincidental for it to be an accident. It's Holy Week which is the most important week of the year for Catholics and the crown jewel of Cathedrals right behind the Vatican Basilica in Rome goes up in smoke.  

I hope you are wrong, I haven't heard any info one way or the other. It does seem from the scaffolding that renovations were being made, so perhaps an accident? Will really make me hate people more if someone willfully destroyed such a historical monument. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

8 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Unfortunately, it has been targeted before, from Wikipedia:

8 September 2016: Notre Dame Cathedral bombing attempt. Arrests made after an explosives-filled car was discovered parked alongside the cathedral.

10 February 2017: Police arrested four people in Montpellier, France, including a 16-year-old girl and a 20-year-old man already known by authorities to have ties to extremist Islamist organizations, on charges of plotting to travel to Paris and attack the cathedral.[39]

5 minutes ago, Mano said:

I hope you are wrong, I haven't heard any info one way or the other. It does seem from the scaffolding that renovations were being made, so perhaps an accident? Will really make me hate people more if someone willfully destroyed such a historical monument. 

I really hope I'm wrong as well and it's just a sick twist of fate that this happened, but I'm not holding my breath. If it turns out that this really is arson and it was destroyed due to conflicting religious reasons, the push back will be cataclysmic. Watching this Cathedral going up in smoke is affecting billions and is a loss to the world.   

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

It’s official: Too much fire fighting required, and the French have just unconditionally surrendered. MSNBC is reporting that Democrats are calling for new investigation to determine Trumps involvement in the fire.

No, Seriously, this is just heart breaking. You’d think that they’d have some sort of hidden sprinkler system in the cathedral. Why aren’t they doing fire retardant drops from the air?Can’t believe there aren’t many many more water cannons on it. Frustrating to watch it burn without making any progress. Prayers for the French people.

How many fire retardant drops have you seen in cities?  Slurry is a special mixture and you have to have special planes to drop it.  I doubt France has either of these. 

down in a hole.jpg

23 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

How many fire retardant drops have you seen in cities?  Slurry is a special mixture and you have to have special planes to drop it.  I doubt France has either of these. 

I was thinking the use of helibuckets on helicopters. You can drop water and fire retardant foam from a helibucket. In urban areas, fire fighters usually have enough hydrants, hoses and trucks to get it done. It doesn’t appear that the ND area of Paris has the water hydrant infrastructure necessary to put a fire like that out. I don’t know how  retardant foam or water couldn’t have helped a lot. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_bucket

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

A good friend of mine is in Paris and sent me a picture he took from him phone of the fire (looks a lot like this one), along with a couple of pictures he took while touring the cathedral just an hour before the fire.

The World Needs More Cowboys!