Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

More California - The demise of The City

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/04/san-francisco-decline-failed-government-policies/

“Cities that become dominated by a single industry, cities that reward generation of wealth and financial success over a sense of shared humanity and community have a hard time preserving social capital,” Sam Altman, the president of YCombinator, told the economist Tyler Cowen in a recent interview. “Where I grew up, no one would walk past a person collapsed on the side of the street on their way to work and not do something about it. I hope I never get used to the fact that that happens in San Francisco.”

True revolution would involve curbing the authority of the San Francisco Planning Commission. If Democrats in the city or in Sacramento actually cared about the poor or the environment (density is green), they would enact a land-value tax and establish a redistributive policy to align the interests of the city, current residents, and future citizens. Strong government housing policy could spur growth and redistribute the city’s wealth fairly. But most of all, the freedom to build and experiment is the engine of Silicon Valley dynamism. Allow the experiments of the few to become the prosperity and fulfillment of the many, and the city could thrive once again.

31 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Hmm. So theft of some so others get free handouts is the answer for equality. Good speech from the communist party.

The National Review is hardly a left wing rag. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

My childhood friend is a chef who lives in the heart of San Franciso down the street from city hall. He lives in a dorm room style apartment complex with 20 other people. His room is a 10x10 box, he has to share the bathroom, kitchen, and living room (all community style). He has no designated parking space so he has to park on the street (his car has been broken into 3 times in 6 months) and his rent is $2,100 a month. That is the definition of insanity. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On one of my recent work trips to the Bay Area, I noticed several people sleeping in their cars in the hotel parking lot. These were decent cars mind you, recently bought Toyotas, Hondas, etc. I mentioned it to a colleague at the corporate office and she said it's quite common for new hires or junior employees who can't afford housing in the area. In many cases, people get hired on right out of school or have to relocate but their $90-120k salary isn't enough to get them into a studio within an hour's commute. So they sleep in their cars and get a gym membership so as to change their clothes and shower in the morning before heading to the office. It's that crazy there. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

9 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Hmm. So theft of some so others get free handouts is the answer for equality. Good speech from the communist party.

What are you talking about? San Francisco is short sighted NIMBY homeowners who never want to see  any change in any housing combined with an absurdly powerful planning board. San Fran should be filling up with dozen plus story condos and apartments instead of pretty much the exact same housing situation it had before the earthquake of 1906. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

The National Review is hardly a left wing rag. 

Right? And I thought I would score some points for posting something right of center and for something critical of California policies. 

I guess one would have to actually read the article to see that though. 

A good 5 minute video on SF situation and the corruption preventing a developer from razing a long abandoned meat packing building and build housing:

110926run_defense710.jpg

We were in the city about 15 years ago. I don’t recall seeing very many street people at that time and commented on that to my wife. In Ghirardelli Square there was only one street musician. It was odd because when we lived in the Bay Area almost 40 years ago, the tourist traps were jammed with street people.

It sounds like it has really gone downhill in the last 5-10 years. It has got to really hurt the tourist industry. No way would I care to visit there these days. Sad to see a beautiful city turned into a dump and the City Council doesn’t seem to care. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

We were in the city about 15 years ago. I don’t recall seeing very many street people at that time and commented on that to my wife. In Ghirardelli Square there was only one street musician. It was odd because when we lived in the Bay Area almost 40 years ago, the tourist traps were jammed with street people.

It sounds like it has really gone downhill in the last 5-10 years. It has got to really hurt the tourist industry. No way would I care to visit there these days. Sad to see a beautiful city turned into a dump and the City Council doesn’t seem to care. 

On top of being filled with bums, and every park turned into a tent city, it's just +++++ing boring anymore. The influx of Midwestern tech people largely killed its soul. 

14 hours ago, Dinuba Dog said:

California democrats complaining about lack of morality is like Swiss bankers complaining that they don’t have enough Jewish Nazi gold. 

Your guiding ideology is one of no moral judgements. Are any of you familiar with the phrase "When you're in a hole, quit digging."?

FIFY

kat.jpg

14 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They're starting to care because of mass complaints. It's gotten so bad that the city had to start a Poop Patrol because the homeless crap on the sidewalks and streets.

https://www.sciencealert.com/san-francisco-s-sidewalks-are-covered-with-human-poop-government-poop-patrol-feces-fix

I admit I only read the sampled text that toonkee posted below the article before I read it. I was wrong regarding  the overall message of the article. However, I do not agree with government redistributing anything. Let the market rule housing. The article seems to contradict itself as it lays blame on government controlled housing, yet advocates it at the same time in a different way. I disagree with that specific portion of a solution. I admittedly jumped the gun. I will take my flogging.

5 hours ago, crixus said:

They're starting to care because of mass complaints. It's gotten so bad that the city had to start a Poop Patrol because the homeless crap on the sidewaks and streets.

https://www.sciencealert.com/san-francisco-s-sidewalks-are-covered-with-human-poop-government-poop-patrol-feces-fix

That seems like another dumb solution. Why not install portable toilets in the bad homeless areas? Let the street artists paint them to blend in with the neighborhood. Oops, maybe not a good solution as people would probably start living in them. 

59 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

I admit I only read the sampled text that toonkee posted below the article before I read it. I was wrong regarding  the overall message of the article. However, I do not agree with government redistributing anything. Let the market rule housing. The article seems to contradict itself as it lays blame on government controlled housing, yet advocates it at the same time in a different way. I disagree with that specific portion of a solution. I admittedly jumped the gun. I will take my flogging.

38 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

That seems like another dumb solution. Why not install portable toilets in the bad homeless areas? Let the street artists paint them to blend in with the neighborhood. Oops, maybe not a good solution as people would probably start living in them. 

Agree.  Government and current homeowners prefer to make the situation worse by restricting supply and increasing costs of the few permits issued via corruption.  

BTW, the difference between a developer and an environmentalist?  The developer wants to build a cabin in the mountains, the environmentalist already owns a cabin on the mountain.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

That seems like another dumb solution. Why not install portable toilets in the bad homeless areas? Let the street artists paint them to blend in with the neighborhood. Oops, maybe not a good solution as people would probably start living in them

They have installed public toilets and...you guessed it. There's a serious housing crisis in San Francisco. Even the people with jobs have a tough time getting by. I've been to every continent (except Antarctica) and have noticed the homeless situation in most every big city. But San Francisco is on the extreme end.

2 hours ago, crixus said:

They have installed public toilets and...you guessed it. There's a serious housing crisis in San Francisco. Even the people with jobs have a tough time getting by. I've been to every continent (except Antarctica) and have noticed the homeless situation in most every big city. But San Francisco is on the extreme end.

Well they are a sanctuary.