Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Big shocker here: Russia trying to meddle in EU elections

European Union security services are monitoring Russian attempts to interfere in the EU's parliamentary elections in May, German news agency DPA reported Saturday, citing a security progress report.

According to the report, Russia's efforts are aimed at boosting support for parties that are either euroskeptic or friendly to Russia. Its messaging also questioned the significance of the European Parliament to try to lower voter turnout.

The efforts were primarily targeting young voters on social media and through state-backed media outlets, the report found.

The elections take place May 23-26, with citizens from the bloc's member states casting their ballots for national representatives to serve in the pan-European legislative body. Analysts have warned of a potential increase in the number of seats held by right-wing populist parties.

https://www.dw.com/en/russia-trying-to-meddle-in-eu-elections-report/a-48318678

I wonder if @BSU fan in Columbus can tell us more about Russia's efforts to interfere with most elections. 

Just now, BSU fan in Columbus said:

https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-interfered-in-elections-of-at-least-85-countries-worldwide-since-1945/5601481 

US Interfered in Elections of at Least 85 Countries Worldwide Since 1945

America has a long history of meddling in the elections of foreign countries, new research shows 

I knew I could count on you.

8 hours ago, retrofade said:

I knew I could count on you.

Regardless of who brought the point up, fact of the matter is the United States has a long dirty history of meddling in foreign elections. For us Americans to lecture Russia on this would be like Tiger Woods lecturing men on adultery. Am I justifying or excusing Russia? No. But maybe we Americans should do some self reflection. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Russian meddling in elections?  Been happening for decades but only a concern for lefties like retro since 2016.  Russia meddles and has done so for years, but that meddling has no major impact on anything (except in 2016 of course).

I agree with @BSUTOP25though, Americans have no right to complain given our own country’s history.  Those in glass houses...

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Regardless of who brought the point up, fact of the matter is the United States has a long dirty history of meddling in foreign elections. For us Americans to lecture Russia on this would be like Tiger Woods lecturing men on adultery. Am I justifying or excusing Russia? No. But maybe we Americans should do some self reflection. 

Nah, it would be like Tiger Woods lecturing Kennedy. 

Also... of course of election meddling is bad for the country. That's why we do it! So is war and we do that too! If Russia started blowing up American and NATO ships we'd be rightfully furious, despite the fact that we blow up other people. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Powerful governments, just like powerful people, organizations and industries will always seek to influence elections.  Yes, it is important to acknowledge who wields election influence around the world but I think we miss the mark if we just point fingers and play the yeah but we/they are just as bad or worse game. The take home should be that we must all be critical thinkers.  Question what we read, who is the source, what bias they may have and what political means they are trying to acheive.  Healthy skeptcism is a good thing.  It's becoming more and more difficult in the social media era with it's minimal if not nonexistent use of verifiable facts where what passes for news is often a mere headline or tweet designed to elicit an emotional response and stick in the minds of its readers.  Thanks to the 24 hours 'news' channels and now social media far too few Americans recognize the differences between editorial, propaganda and news.  This is the reality and future of information.  Teach yourselves and your children to question what they read, seek multiple sources and educate themselves before reaching a conclusion.  Poorly informed, emotional and/or closed minded voters will always fall victim to the kind of election tampering the Russians are using.

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Nah, it would be like Tiger Woods lecturing Kennedy. 

Also... of course of election meddling is bad for the country. That's why we do it! So is war and we do that too! If Russia started blowing up American and NATO ships we'd be rightfully furious, despite the fact that we blow up other people. 

Yep. We have no moral superiority with regard to interference with foreign elections. So we can be furious and scream things like “I CAN’T BELIEVE THEY HIT ME BACK FIRST.”

39 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yep. We have no moral superiority with regard to interference with foreign elections. So we can be furious and scream things like “I CAN’T BELIEVE THEY HIT ME BACK FIRST.”

We should be furious, but more along the lines of "HOW ARE WE AS VULNERABLE AS THE WEAK COUNTRIES WE ARE ABLE TO PUSH AROUND"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

We should be furious, but more along the lines of "HOW ARE WE AS VULNERABLE AS THE WEAK COUNTRIES WE ARE ABLE TO PUSH AROUND"

Agreed. I’d also want a comprehensive study on how and why Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, and Florida voters changed their mind because of what the Twitter said. 

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Agreed. I’d also want a comprehensive study on how and why Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, and Florida voters changed their mind because of what the Twitter said. 

The same way I switched my vote from Clinton to Trump over the Russian FB ads.  There are millions like me...  MILLIONS!!!

v0icAvfW.jpg

The reality is the governments of the powers, the USA, China, Russia, and many other countries have been and are always going to spy on each other and try and influence elections. To complain about something that has been going on for decades is laughable.

Having said that they have very little influence on how the American people vote. The only ones that feel different are the Democrats who had to have a scapegoat for their loss. Did you ever hear a Republican blame Romney or McClains loss to Obama on the Russians? 

Canada hacked brazilian energy and mines and spied on them https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/10/07/canada_spied_on_brazils_mines_and_energy_ministry_report.htmlbet they meddle in elections too.Edward Snowden says Canadian spying has weakest oversight in Western world. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edward-snowden-says-canadian-spying-has-weakest-oversight-in-western-world-1.2981051