Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

BREAKING: Dave Rice News

8 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

UVU dodged a bullet. Dave is a great guy and probably knows a ton about basketball, but the things that keep him from being a good coach are his personality and his ability (or lack thereof) to teach and inspire. He is too soft to instil discipline and too vanilla to keep kids interested or bring them together as a team. This isn’t something that is going to change by spending more time as an assistant.

That and the lack of game time coaching.  Waving your hands to get back and then to run forward is not coaching.  I think the pressure of the game overwhelms him.

When you are getting passed over by the likes of Cal Poly and Utah Valley definitely doesn't bode well for him returning as a head coach.  If Washington really ascends that will help his cause some.  Given the odd infatuation what would really help him would be Livengood getting another AD job.  

4 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

That and the lack of game time coaching.  Waving your hands to get back and then to run forward is not coaching.  I think the pressure of the game overwhelms him.

That is probably true as well. This is something he could probably plan for (e.g. really intense scouting and planning), nut he isn’t going to change who he is. At this point his personality is what it is.

6 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

they have a nice arena and have had success the last 3 seasons...Dave Rice would be lucky to get that job.

UCCU_Center2.png

SJSU folks — those objects in the areas alongside and above the court, those are fans in attendance. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

When you are getting passed over by the likes of Cal Poly and Utah Valley definitely doesn't bode well for him returning as a head coach.  If Washington really ascends that will help his cause some.  Given the odd infatuation what would really help him would be Livengood getting another AD job.  

I don't see the likes of Cal Poly or UVU being gullible enough to hire Livengood either.  And his "Collegiate Consulting" business is pretty quiet too now that everyone who owed him a payback favor at past stops like UNLV (looking at you TKM) now appear to have lost power.

Rice is a good assistant and makes a good living at it.  I would be surprised if the HC position at Cal Poly or UVU pays as well as being a Pac-12 assistant anyway.

Dave Rice's head coaching career lasted 3 games longer than Tim Grgurich's head coaching career (152 games vs 149), and both ended with shortened seasons at UNLV (Grg coached only 6 games at UNLV before he decided he was done).  Not everybody is a Batman... some are Robins.

2 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I don't see the likes of Cal Poly or UVU being gullible enough to hire Livengood either.  And his "Collegiate Consulting" business is pretty quiet too now that everyone who owed him a payback favor at past stops like UNLV (looking at you TKM) now appear to have lost power.

Rice is a good assistant and makes a good living at it.  I would be surprised if the HC position at Cal Poly or UVU pays as well as being a Pac-12 assistant anyway.

Dave Rice's head coaching career lasted 3 games longer than Tim Grgurich's head coaching career (152 games vs 149), and both ended with shortened seasons at UNLV (Grg coached only 6 games at UNLV before he decided he was done).  Not everybody is a Batman... some are Robins.

Was being facetious regarding Livingood, not impossible but unlikely he is getting another AD position.

Have always said the tombstones in the head coaching grave yard are a lot larger than the busts in the Hall of Fame.  In the grand scheme there are many more failures than successes, it isn’t easy.

Plenty are valuable assistants, Tim Grgurich being one of the very best.  Larry thinks the world of Gerg, but it is like he has always said, “head coaching just isn’t in his DNA.”   

4 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Cal Poly bought out the last year of Joe Callero's contract for $137,000.  I don't know if their new coach will earn that much.

49 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Cal Poly bought out the last year of Joe Callero's contract for $137,000.  I don't know if their new coach will earn that much.

good lord...Memphis pays our Assoc HC Sam Mitchell 325,000 per year...and he's just an Asst.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

good lord...Memphis pays our Assoc HC Sam Mitchell 325,000 per year...and he's just an Asst.

Fortunately, it's not as bleak for Cal Poly as I originally assumed.  5 years at $350,000 per year is the contract for their new coach.

https://watchstadium.com/news/cal-poly-coach-john-smith-signs-five-year-contract-salary-buyout-incentives-04-12-2019/

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Fortunately, it's not as bleak for Cal Poly as I originally assumed.  5 years at $350,000 per year is the contract for their new coach.

https://watchstadium.com/news/cal-poly-coach-john-smith-signs-five-year-contract-salary-buyout-incentives-04-12-2019/

that sounds better...I mean, Texas Southern is paying Johnny Jones peanuts (like the did Mike Davis) but even he makes 260k a year.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

23 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

That is probably true as well. This is something he could probably plan for (e.g. really intense scouting and planning), nut he isn’t going to change who he is. At this point his personality is what it is.

I’ve said that Dave Rice is autistic, but nobody listens.  His youngest son is, and he gets it from somewhere.  I know from experience that autism is passed down.