Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

SJSU Stadium Project

58 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Exactly. Put that fundraising energy into revamping the parts if campus that are useful. As Mike posted above.  Those things lead to jobs for the surrounding community.  SJSU keeps playing around with useless projects south of campus. Why bother?  Wasted effort. 

The money donated to South Campus projects would not be donated to Main Campus.... it's not that hard to understand.....

1 hour ago, godogsgo said:

Exactly. Put that fundraising energy into revamping the parts if campus that are useful. As Mike posted above.  Those things lead to jobs for the surrounding community.  SJSU keeps playing around with useless projects south of campus. Why bother?  Wasted effort. 

Classic. You have an auto-signature that takes a poke at SJSU's football attendance numbers, and are now criticizing the school for spending donated money on a project that will not only bring much needed improvements to the football program, but will also enhance the game day experience for the fans. Clearly, since you made it a focus on your auto-signature, you have SJSU's low attendance on your mind. The school is about to begin a project that will improve the football program, yet you choose to criticize them for addressing the very issue that seems to weigh on your mind. Your position that SJSU's should spend their donated money on academic building projects goes completely against the consensus opinion on this site that SJSU needs to make improvements to their athletic facilities. Never mind that the individuals that have donated the money did so with the understanding that their money is to go towards the Football Operations Building project. You seem to be merely looking for something to criticize SJSU about. Good luck finding very many people on this site that agree with you that SJSU should not be spending money on their athletic facilities.

Champ Logo.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

Childish. You’re the one that’s now responded on my thread for the fourth time. So, who’s triggered who?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe0ntaWIMRJpF7FFvAUnm

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

4 hours ago, godogsgo said:

He just provided an example. You refuse to accept that SJSU is doing both investing in academic and athletic projects. 

How does developing south campus not lead to jobs for the surrounding community???

Don't complain just to complain. It makes you obnoxious. 

26 minutes ago, Bulldog Rob said:

Looks nice.  Since SJSU is busy rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, maybe they could pad the budget and spring for some non-warped bleachers while they're at it.  

tenor.gif

17 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

He just provided an example. You refuse to accept that SJSU is doing both investing in academic and athletic projects. 

How does developing south campus not lead to jobs for the surrounding community???

Don't complain just to complain. It makes you obnoxious. 

Sigh. Why are SJSU fans amongst the most dense on the board. Im not talking about employing folk to staff the buildings. Im talking about the use of the facilities to turn out better qualified professional graduates.

That new sciences building is a far better use of limited space and (even privately raised) funds. It will steadily churn out thousands of technicians who will make high 10s or low 100K salaries. Versus a marginally improved spartan stadium where coaches go to die and the school makes a little bit of consessions money on freebie tickets and traveling fans. The big money draw (for SJSU football) comes from playing money games against p5 programs and they dont need to invest in spartan stadium for those to happen. 

Im not complaining, as you state. Im hoping that sjsu actually does a better job on its primary mission by focusing its efforts (and not dragging down the conference). I.e. a win-win. 

San Jose State

4 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

Classic. You have an auto-signature that takes a poke at SJSU's football attendance numbers, and are now criticizing the school for spending donated money on a project that will not only bring much needed improvements to the football program, but will also enhance the game day experience for the fans. Clearly, since you made it a focus on your auto-signature, you have SJSU's low attendance on your mind. The school is about to begin a project that will improve the football program, yet you choose to criticize them for addressing the very issue that seems to weigh on your mind. Your position that SJSU's should spend their donated money on academic building projects goes completely against the consensus opinion on this site that SJSU needs to make improvements to their athletic facilities. Never mind that the individuals that have donated the money did so with the understanding that their money is to go towards the Football Operations Building project. You seem to be merely looking for something to criticize SJSU about. Good luck finding very many people on this site that agree with you that SJSU should not be spending money on their athletic facilities.

I think it's great that SJSU is finally breaking ground on these needed and promised improvements and I don't mean that sarcastically.  I do have an honest question for you though.  How much impact do you really think it will have on attendance?  Sitting way over here in Colorado it appears that the students and locals have almost no interest in football period.  I'm too lazy to research it, but how was attendance under Coach Mac when you were competitive for a few years?  Not trolling, just seriously questioning if the consensus is that all of a sudden you'll have a mostly full stadium on game days?

Did SJSU or did SJSU not tell Craig Thompson that if the MW took them in that this rather modest upgrade to their stadium would be begun within two years. And did SJSU not join the MW in 2013? And exactly when WILL the the work - not just the TALK - actually begin? And when will it actually be completed? As an example, will SJSU actually get this modest project finished before SDSU manages to build an entirely new stadium? Given the relative size of the two ventures one would assume so but I for one take what I hear from SJSU with a mountain of salt.

Boom goes the dynamite.

46 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Did SJSU or did SJSU not tell Craig Thompson that if the MW took them in that this rather modest upgrade to their stadium would be begun within two years. And did SJSU not join the MW in 2013? And exactly when WILL the the work - not just the TALK - actually begin? And when will it actually be completed? As an example, will SJSU actually get this modest project finished before SDSU manages to build an entirely new stadium? Given the relative size of the two ventures one would assume so but I for one take what I hear from SJSU with a mountain of salt.

Come back when:

1) You sign an agreement with the city to acquire the Mission Valley site 

2) You get the revenue bond money approved and "private-public partnerships" signed

3) You actually take control pf the Mission Valley site

4) Construction actually starts on the stadium

Can't wait for the eventual legal challenges and CEQA suits

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

I think it's great that SJSU is finally breaking ground on these needed and promised improvements and I don't mean that sarcastically.  I do have an honest question for you though.  How much impact do you really think it will have on attendance?  Sitting way over here in Colorado it appears that the students and locals have almost no interest in football period.  I'm too lazy to research it, but how was attendance under Coach Mac when you were competitive for a few years?  Not trolling, just seriously questioning if the consensus is that all of a sudden you'll have a mostly full stadium on game days?

Nobody in the Bay Area is of the mind set that, just because SJSU is making stadium improvements, attendance is somehow going to miraculously improve. The Bay Area likes winners. And, if you're not winning, they'll find somewhere else to spend their money. What this project does is make a strong statement that SJSU is willing to invest in the future of its football program, and is by no means ready to throw in the towel. The hope is that by initiating this project the recruiting will improve. Let's face it, other MWC schools will make insinuations that SJSU football may not exist in the coming years when they are trying to convince a recruit to come to their school instead of SJSU. If, as it is hoped, recruiting improves, that will lead to more wins. More wins equals more interest in the community, and ultimately better attendance. With regards to coach Mac, his team went 5-7 in 2011, and 11-2 in 2012. However, there wasn't much of a local buzz at all in 2012 until SJSU faced Utah State for, what turned out to be, the WAC championship. Had SJSU won that game, I think attendance would have gone way up the rest of the season. As I recall, we had decent attendance after the USU game when we faced BYU (a game SJSU won), but a pretty average attended game in the regular season finale against LaTech (another SJSU victory). But, we never saw the big sellout game that year. Had we played a home date against Fresno State in the season finale, we might have pulled in a big crowd. The 2013 season finale against Fresno State pulled in a tremendous crowd. A lot of that was due to Fresno bringing an undefeated, Top 20 team, with Derek Carr. Their fans were well represented, to say the least. But, a lot of SJSU fans showed for that game as well. I believe the 2012 MacIntyre teams was a big reason for that well attended game in 2013.

Champ Logo.jpg

6 hours ago, Bulldog Rob said:

Looks nice.  Since SJSU is busy rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, maybe they could pad the budget and spring for some non-warped bleachers while they're at it.  

The entire east side will be rebuilt as part of this project. New stands, better facilities for televised games, better speakers, and hopefully improved lighting are all part of this project. It's half a new stadium and a new football operations center rolled into one project.  

12 hours ago, SpartanDude said:

The entire east side will be rebuilt as part of this project. New stands, better facilities for televised games, better speakers, and hopefully improved lighting are all part of this project. It's half a new stadium and a new football operations center rolled into one project.  

Translation: It's half-assed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 hours ago, godogsgo said:

Sigh. Why are SJSU fans amongst the most dense on the board. Im not talking about employing folk to staff the buildings. Im talking about the use of the facilities to turn out better qualified professional graduates.

That new sciences building is a far better use of limited space and (even privately raised) funds. It will steadily churn out thousands of technicians who will make high 10s or low 100K salaries. Versus a marginally improved spartan stadium where coaches go to die and the school makes a little bit of consessions money on freebie tickets and traveling fans. The big money draw (for SJSU football) comes from playing money games against p5 programs and they dont need to invest in spartan stadium for those to happen. 

Im not complaining, as you state. Im hoping that sjsu actually does a better job on its primary mission by focusing its efforts (and not dragging down the conference). I.e. a win-win. 

Again, there two projects (that we know off) simultaneously in development. Both contribute to what you're, without basis, complaining about. You're clearly a contrarian doing what contrarians do best; arguing for the sake of arguing and complaining.

IMO it’s a complete waste of time and money.

Sharta football will always be bad, mediocre at best. They are still and always will be one of the lowest drawing FBS teams every year. No renovation is gonna change that. 

2 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Again, there two projects (that we know off) simultaneously in development. Both contribute to what you're, without basis, complaining about. You're clearly a contrarian doing what contrarians do best; arguing for the sake of arguing and complaining.

Whatevs. If it were my school, id want real change that will move the school forward. Spend that money on another needed building. That new science building AND a rennovation for that shithole Duncan hall. I know the faculty there hate that building. Im sure theyll be glad to know that instead of new teaching labs, there are better concessions for the hundred or so visiting fans and the SJSU marching band. SAN!

San Jose State

1 minute ago, godogsgo said:

Whatevs. If it were my school, id want real change that will move the school forward. Spend that money on another needed building. That new science building AND a rennovation for that shithole Duncan hall. I know the faculty there hate that building. Im sure theyll be glad to know that instead of new teaching labs, there are better concessions for the hundred or so visiting fans and the SJSU marching band. SAN!

:rolleyes: