Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

since1670

Why it could make a lot of financial sense for the top 100 teams to break from the NCAA

Well, at least we’re included in that model. So let’s do it!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

21 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think the only MW school that would be left out in that model is Air Force.... but I'd still argue that they should replace SJSU.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

You didn't see the asterisk?  The footnote said MW except for Reno.

Sowwy.

48 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You didn't see the asterisk?  The footnote said MW except for Reno.

Sowwy.

fuck that ice cube GIF

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, godogsgo said:

Must. Cut. SJSU.

approval agree GIF

This would work well for a football only group also 100 teams is way to many. The schools chosen could leave their BB and Olympics in the NCAA. Only football to the new grouping. The NCAA would be glad to keep the basketball and olys as they would have nothing else of import if the major D1 FB teams departed.

100 teams however should be reduced to about 80 to 86 teams for the new football agency. The ACC, B12, SEC, BIG and PAC should be added to BYU, ARMY, N. D., AAC (10 schools), MWC  minus SJSU, Wyoming, New Mexico (9 schools.)  That comes out to 83 and Army, BYU, N.D. makes 86 . This is enough, a football league with 86 teams, it's own TV contract, playoff and rule making body.  Of course even a reduced 86 team league would contain UNLV, Tulane, Purdue and a few others which would be marginal but so what it would be far better than what we have now.

The other below average leagues (CUSA, SB, MAC could join the NCAA Div 1AA.)

If the problem is that college sports don't make enough money, just separate football from basketball and FBS/FCS football from the NCAA at all levels. Conferences recognized by the NCAA are oly-sport only and football conferences are determined separately by the College Football Commission. Have a relegation system for football where only the top 75 teams are FBS and everyone else is FCS. The FCS playoffs are now replaced with relegation games where FBS schools that win less than 4 games play against the top FCS schools. The amount of scholarships available every year is now determined by the 5-year rolling average of number of FBS years. Wouldn't this fix the problem?