Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Assange Arrested By London Police

18 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Authoritarians rejoice!!!!!!!

We all have opinions, but none of us know what really happened. Not yet anyway. Assange will get his day in court. And if he's smart he won't represent himself, that rarely works out well. 

4 minutes ago, crixus said:

We all have opinions, but none of us know what really happened. Not yet anyway. Assange will get his day in court. And if he's smart he won't represent himself, that rarely works out well. 

We all know what really happened. He revealed embarrassing things about powerful authoritarians. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

This is a really really good read on the situation; a Q&A with UT Austin law professor Steve Vladeck. He discusses the potential First Amendment implications if Assange were to be charged and prosecuted under the Espionage Act.

https://www.justsecurity.org/40281/qa-assange-prosecution-pose-threat-press/

He also posted a twitter thread on the subject around the same time.

The U.S. accused WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange of taking part in a computer-hacking conspiracy related to the disclosure of diplomatic cables extracted by former U.S. Army analyst Chelsea Manning.

In an indictment unsealed on Thursday just hours after Assange’s arrest in London, the U.S. accused him of assisting Manning in “hacking a password stored on United States Department of Defense computers,” according to the indictment. Assange’s anti-secrecy organization published the cables starting in 2010.

Assange’s arrest came after Ecuador expelled him from its embassy there. The 47-year-old has been in the embassy since 2012 when he sought to escape questioning in a Swedish sexual-assault case. While those charges were dropped in 2017, Assange has remained in a small apartment in the London embassy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-11/assange-charges-revealed-by-u-s-hours-after-london-arrest

edit: here's the link to the indictment itself.

I guess a "journalist" can't drive someone to a government building, give them a stolen identification, and explosives to crack the safe and then claim the 1st amendment protects them.  

I certainly think journalists should be able to protect their sources and speak freely...but I am not sure they can be an accomplice to a theft without facing some recourse as has been alleged.   

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

I guess a "journalist" can't drive someone to a government building, give them a stolen identification, and explosives to crack the safe and then claim the 1st amendment protects them.  

I certainly think journalists should be able to protect their sources and speak freely...but I am not sure they can be an accomplice to a theft without facing some recourse as has been alleged.   

What did he steal, Herr Hitler?

10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

What did he steal, Herr Hitler?

He was an accomplice to Manning's theft.  

down in a hole.jpg

Like I have said before, I don't know what to think about this guy.  He shed light on some dirty stuff.  He also did not redact info that likely jeopardized the safety of informants.  Regardless of whether it was right or not, it did show a certain amount of bravery.  Very different from some lefty journalist sitting in Manhattan thinking he/she is brave for his/her reporting.

Assange is a political prisoner and I fully support his ongoing battle with the imperial state. Future generations will rightfully look back on him as a hero. 

Free Assange. 

The guy is a tool who lost all of his "freedom fighter" credibility when he became a Russian asset.

That said, even if a whistle blower has an agenda that I disagree with, I'm still uncomfortable with locking somebody away for shining a light on government wrong doing. He should be arrested for skipping bail in The UK, but extradition and prison time in The US is something I can not support.