Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Big12 signs new media deal with ESPN / ESPN+

3 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Yeah, those which are would be on a RSN will be on ESPN+ that still doesn’t include any TX or OK games.

*doesnt include any TX or OK HOME games. 

Fixed it for you.

21 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

The way I read it was say Baylor was playing Texas at home, then since it was at Baylor, that is Baylor's tier 3 rights and then that game could go on ESPN+.  This is assuming that ESPN or ABC don't pick up the game.

Tier 3 games are determined before the season.  The scenario you describe would never happen in football, where each school has only 1 t3 game. Baylor's tier 3 will be someone along the lines of Incarnate Word.  Basketball, perhaps, but still unlikely.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

18 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

ESPN+ just gets more worth it as time goes by

I agree, and that's why I subscribe. It's well worth the 5 bucks a month, or even less if you subscribe for a year. 

13 hours ago, RSF said:

Tier 3 games are determined before the season.  The scenario you describe would never happen in football, where each school has only 1 t3 game. Baylor's tier 3 will be someone along the lines of Incarnate Word.  Basketball, perhaps, but still unlikely.

But, it does sound like UT and OU away games will be shown on ESPN+ right?

I think ESPN might go back to the Pac-12 and offer a similar deal.  Still really pulling for the MWC to get on ESPN+ for all games.

Going to re-subscribe to ESPN+ after this post...unsubscribed a few months ago. 

29 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

But, it does sound like UT and OU away games will be shown on ESPN+ right?

As I said, you could possibly see some basketball.  ESPN is the primary rights holder for basketball, so seeing them shift some of those games to the Plus is plausible.  It'll be the other sports where they show up - soccer, volleyball, softball, etc - where OU and UT will show up most.

15 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

I think ESPN might go back to the Pac-12 and offer a similar deal. 

Wont happen as long as P12N exists.  That is their Tier 3.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wont happen as long as P12N exists.  That is their Tier 3.

Not necessarily true.

P12N covers all tiers as well not just Tier 3.  It's all about whose turn it is to pick the games for a given week: Fox, ESPN, or the P12N.  Right now it's going to be real difficult for the P12 to get out of the current media rights deal due to its complexity of it and if ESPN comes back to the P12 with a similar deal, the P12 will sign the deal in a heartbeat even if it's for a mere $40-50 million per year just to get their games on ESPN+.  An extra few million per year for each Pac-12 school would be worth it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/10/18304989/big-12-espn-digital-rights-deal-money-paywalls

32 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Not necessarily true.

P12N covers all tiers as well not just Tier 3.  It's all about whose turn it is to pick the games for a given week: Fox, ESPN, or the P12N.  Right now it's going to be real difficult for the P12 to get out of the current media rights deal due to its complexity of it and if ESPN comes back to the P12 with a similar deal, the P12 will sign the deal in a heartbeat even if it's for a mere $40-50 million per year just to get their games on ESPN+.  An extra few million per year for each Pac-12 school would be worth it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/10/18304989/big-12-espn-digital-rights-deal-money-paywalls

No.  Fox and ESPN are the rights holders.  P12N gets the leftovers.  P12N can and does negotiate with both in order to get a couple higher games but its still Tier 3. The other conference nets do the same thing.  ESPN could theoretically cannibalize their own deal by throwing money at the Pac 12 to get the right to shift games from the schedule below over to ESPN+.  Hard to see either ESPN or P12 doing that.

The Pac-12 has a pair of rightsholders: ESPN and FOX Sports Media Group. Contracts with both entities start with the 2012-13 athletic year and end after the 2023-24 athletic year.

ESPN Rights Notes

• At least two games on ABC, with one game required to air in primetime on the east coast
  • Up to twenty games on ESPN Networks (ESPN, ESPN2 & ESPNU)
  • Of the twenty games on ESPN Networks, up to four games on Thursday nights & up to four games on Friday night.
  • Up to four of the twenty games can air on ESPNU
  • Most ESPN/ESPN2 Saturday games will air at 10pm or 10:30pm ET

FSMG Rights Notes

• A minimum of eight games on FOX
  • A maximum of fourteen games on FS1
  • At least four games on FOX will air in primetime.

Overall, the conference works with both ESPN and FOX to place at least four games on Thursdays and another four games on Fridays, including the day after Thanksgiving. FOX and ESPN will alternate airing the Pac-12 Championship Game. In even-numbered seasons, FOX will air the game. ESPN has the rights in odd-numbered years.

The conference has also created the Pac-12 Networks, a mix of six regional networks and a national network feed, to air all other games.  A school may not appear more than nine times combined in the ESPN and FOX packages. This is to allow the Pac-12 Networks to air at least one game from every school, assuming a school plays at least one home non-conference game.

What you posted does not cover everything.  It's possible that the Pac-12 Network can get a top tier game and show it on the network and that was what occurred early in the media rights deal.  Given the P12N's carriage issues, that has not been tapped into ever since but it doesn't mean that the P12N can't grab a big game away from Fox or ESPN if it has its turn.

ESPN+ would expand the coverage of non-football & basketball sports of the Pac-12 which happens on free streaming platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.  That is what the Big 12 deal does in this case...move more sports events behind paywalls such as ESPN+.  I watch CU's women's lacrosse and some other sports for free on Facebook or Twitter so there is Pac-12 inventory that can be moved to ESPN+ since the P12N does not show every single athletic contest.

The first take away I have is that ESPN must have interest in the Mountain West rights given the schools covered by this new agreement exclude Texas and Oklahoma home games.  In 2020, the first 'phase' of schools become available through ESPN+:  Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State.  In 2021, the second phase of Texas Tech, Texas Christian, Iowa State and West Virginia join. Most of those schools, apart from TCU, play in media markets more similar to MW schools than most other autonomous FBS team media markets.

My second takeaway is that BYU's desire to broadcast on BYU TV may be a bigger issue in renewing that TV contract than I thought.  ESPN appears to care a great deal about ESPN+ rights.  Perhaps the deal can be split between cable/OTA and streaming but that would diminish the BYU value somewhat to it's media partner.  If BYU is difficult about renewing with ESPN+, Disney will have a reason simply to replace all it's current BYU content with.  CBS, Fox and NBC are all likely to be more agreeable to the kind of terms BYU currently has about broadcasting football on BYU TV than ESPN is after launching ESPN+. 

This deal is estimated at ~$22 million annually for the conference and is combined with rights to the Big 12 championship game so it's difficult to get an idea of precisely what the 'tier 3' rights of the respective universities are worth. The easiest assumption is that half of that value is the conference game so the other half would be ~$11 million annually for ESPN+ rights to the eight junior members of the Big 12 conference. 

I don't think that value is enough for the Pac 12 to consider abandoning our own network, but overall it shows that this year is an up year for the rights to college sports media properties so the MW and BYU should both benefit financially when their deals are eventually announced.

20 hours ago, 1066 said:

I have ESPN plus and currently there is not a great deal on it. That is obviously about to change with the Big 12 and AAC and perhaps some of the MWC games plus could be a great bargain at only $4.99 per month. What is the chance that BYU will have games (BB and FB) on the plus? My hope is that hair will work with ESPN to get a fair number of tier 3 MWC games on the plus. Of course we must remember that Hair is doing the negotiation and he always screws up half of what he is doing. Still in all for late night weekend games this may be a go. It might be a good place for Hawaii games ,should they join in our TV contract,  as well. I am convinced it will not generate much money for anyone other than P5 teams however.

The bigshots at ESPN must be licking their chops knowing they'll be dealing with Hair again.  He's been excellent at increasing their profit margins at our expense.  

7 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

Within the next year or 2, i do expect it to jump to $10 a month 

This is a little off topic, but I am curious to see what the pricing will be for the bundle of ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu, whenever they make that available. Hope it’s like $180/year or $16.99 a month, that would be a lot of bang for your buck.