Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Big12 signs new media deal with ESPN / ESPN+

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2019/04/10/ESPN-Big-12.aspx

ESPN signed a sweeping media-rights deal with the Big 12 that will see ABC or ESPN carry every football championship game through ’24 and will launch a Big 12-branded area on ESPN+. In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M. When this agreement is added to the current media-rights deal that still has six years to run, the conference will average $22M per year, sources said. A formal announcement is expected later today.

45 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

It’s basically Thierry FCS games and some of the tier 3 games.

No Texas or Oklahoma games are moving to ESPN +

It says in the article they will be featured as road teams, which leads me to believe several of those regular seasons games will be conference games. 

21 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

It says in the article they will be featured as road teams, which leads me to believe several of those regular seasons games will be conference games. 

Yeah, those which are would be on a RSN will be on ESPN+ that still doesn’t include any TX or OK games.

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2019/04/10/ESPN-Big-12.aspx

ESPN signed a sweeping media-rights deal with the Big 12 that will see ABC or ESPN carry every football championship game through ’24 and will launch a Big 12-branded area on ESPN+. In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M. When this agreement is added to the current media-rights deal that still has six years to run, the conference will average $22M per year, sources said. A formal announcement is expected later today.

I have ESPN plus and currently there is not a great deal on it. That is obviously about to change with the Big 12 and AAC and perhaps some of the MWC games plus could be a great bargain at only $4.99 per month. What is the chance that BYU will have games (BB and FB) on the plus? My hope is that hair will work with ESPN to get a fair number of tier 3 MWC games on the plus. Of course we must remember that Hair is doing the negotiation and he always screws up half of what he is doing. Still in all for late night weekend games this may be a go. It might be a good place for Hawaii games ,should they join in our TV contract,  as well. I am convinced it will not generate much money for anyone other than P5 teams however.

2 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I have ESPN plus and currently there is not a great deal on it. That is obviously about to change with the Big 12 and AAC and perhaps some of the MWC games plus could be a great bargain at only $4.99 per month. What is the chance that BYU will have games (BB and FB) on the plus? My hope is that hair will work with ESPN to get a fair number of tier 3 MWC games on the plus. Of course we must remember that Hair is doing the negotiation and he always screws up half of what he is doing. Still in all for late night weekend games this may be a go. It might be a good place for Hawaii games as well.

Under the current contract, my understanding is that BYU retains the rights for anything not broadcast on a linear ESPN network (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, maybe ESPNews).  BYU specifically retained the rights for one home football game each year (usually an FCS opponent) for broadcast on BYUtv.  BYUtv also broadcasts a large number of the basketball games.  I doubt they want to cede that content to ESPN+.

4 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I have ESPN plus and currently there is not a great deal on it. That is obviously about to change with the Big 12 and AAC and perhaps some of the MWC games plus could be a great bargain at only $4.99 per month. What is the chance that BYU will have games (BB and FB) on the plus? My hope is that hair will work with ESPN to get a fair number of tier 3 MWC games on the plus. Of course we must remember that Hair is doing the negotiation and he always screws up half of what he is doing. Still in all for late night weekend games this may be a go. It might be a good place for Hawaii games as well.

Unlikely we'll put any tier 3 on the plus, unless we get a pretty sweet deal from ESPN on tier 1 and 2 stuff IMO.  We're way too tight with Stadium already, I don't see that changing.  I could actually see Stadium involved with tier 1 and 2 and tier three lining up with the RSN's.

Guest #1Stunner
57 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I have ESPN plus and currently there is not a great deal on it. That is obviously about to change with the Big 12 and AAC and perhaps some of the MWC games plus could be a great bargain at only $4.99 per month. What is the chance that BYU will have games (BB and FB) on the plus? My hope is that hair will work with ESPN to get a fair number of tier 3 MWC games on the plus. Of course we must remember that Hair is doing the negotiation and he always screws up half of what he is doing. Still in all for late night weekend games this may be a go. It might be a good place for Hawaii games ,should they join in our TV contract,  as well. I am convinced it will not generate much money for anyone other than P5 teams however.

The WCC just signed a new deal with ESPN----announced, but they have not disclosed the terms yet.   I won't be surprised if a lot of WCC games are on ESPN+.

Don't know what to expect with BYU's football deal with ESPN, which is currently under negotiation. 

ESPN is pretty much requiring a presence on + for all their deals now.

As for the Big 12, this deal only occuring now because of the Disney/Fox deal.  Disney is taking advantage of the interim before they sell the RSNs to strip some content away.  So, from a personal standpoint, TCU was getting soccer, volleyball and baseball games televised in addition to the annual September body bag game, and the bulk of their non conference basketball games. Bet those sports are where you will see OU and UT show up. Itll be a net positive because the original deal called for small cash in exchange for other non-monetary considerations.  Get a few more bucks with this.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

34 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So? Do you think those are the only teams that matter in the B12?

Yes. Given that they are the ones that make the Big 12 a power conference and give the Big 12 $35 million/school.

Unlike the MW which would be fine w/o BSU and SDSU.

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

Yes. Given that they are the ones that make the Big 12 a power conference and give the Big 12 $35 million/school.

Unlike the MW which would be fine w/o BSU and SDSU.

There's plenty of other B12 fans.

ESPN+ is going to be a great platform, with or without TX or Okla.

I would love if all of Nevada's games were streamed on ESPN+.

3 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Yeah, those which are would be on a RSN will be on ESPN+ that still doesn’t include any TX or OK games.

The way I read it was say Baylor was playing Texas at home, then since it was at Baylor, that is Baylor's tier 3 rights and then that game could go on ESPN+.  This is assuming that ESPN or ABC don't pick up the game.

32 minutes ago, renoskier said:

There's plenty of other B12 fans.

ESPN+ is going to be a great platform, with or without TX or Okla.

I would love if all of Nevada's games were streamed on ESPN+.

ESPN+ removes the primary irritant to the remaining 8 Big 12 schools, primarily the Longhorn Network.  The great complaint against the Longhorn Network is that it gave Texas a recruiting advantage over the other Big 12 schools.  The other compalint against the Longhorn Network is that it deprived the other Big 12 schools of more TV money since the Big 12 could not have a conference TV Network like BiG, SEC, PAC, and ACC.  Technology now has removed this network obstacle and pumped more money into Big 12 coffers.

The AAC and Big 12 deals come at a perfect tme for MWC TV negotiations.  It gives a base for MWC to negotiate the best deal possible.

The Big 12 has greatly strengthened itself with the establishment of a conference championship game and the ESPN+ deal.  Some AAC schools are convinced the Big 12 is going to fail and they (AAC schools) will save Big 12's bacon.  That could well happened but today's ESPN+ deal probably has diminished the possibility of Big 12 breaking up.

The initial productions and shows on the Longhorn Network were crude and not very professional.  That is no longer true; shows and productions are very well done.  Whatever the future holds, one thing is for sure.  The University of Texas is not giving up its Longhorn Network.

12 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

ESPN+ removes the primary irritant to the remaining 8 Big 12 schools, primarily the Longhorn Network.  The great complaint against the Longhorn Network is that it gave Texas a recruiting advantage over the other Big 12 schools.  The other compalint against the Longhorn Network is that it deprived the other Big 12 schools of more TV money since the Big 12 could not have a conference TV Network like BiG, SEC, PAC, and ACC.  Technology now has removed this network obstacle and pumped more money into Big 12 coffers.

The AAC and Big 12 deals come at a perfect tme for MWC TV negotiations.  It gives a base for MWC to negotiate the best deal possible.

The Big 12 has greatly strengthened itself with the establishment of a conference championship game and the ESPN+ deal.  Some AAC schools are convinced the Big 12 is going to fail and they (AAC schools) will save Big 12's bacon.  That could well happened but today's ESPN+ deal probably has diminished the possibility of Big 12 breaking up.

The initial productions and shows on the Longhorn Network were crude and not very professional.  That is no longer true; shows and productions are very well done.  Whatever the future holds, one thing is for sure.  The University of Texas is not giving up its Longhorn Network.

Their TV deal still ends in 2024, so it doesn’t actually change anything regarding realignment. I didn’t think the Big 12 would collapse before this news, and my opinion remains the same.