Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

First ever image of a black hole

An international scientific team on Wednesday announced a milestone in astrophysics - the first-ever photo of a black hole - using a global network of telescopes to gain insight into celestial objects with gravitational fields so strong no matter or light can escape.

The team’s observations of the black hole at the center of Messier 87, a massive galaxy in the nearby Virgo galaxy cluster, lend strong support to the theory of general relativity put forward in 1915 by physicist Albert Einstein to explain the laws of gravity and their relation to other natural forces.

The research was conducted by the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project, an international collaboration begun in 2012 to try to directly observe the immediate environment of a black hole using a global network of Earth-based telescopes. The announcement was made in simultaneous news conferences in Washington, Brussels, Santiago, Shanghai, Taipei and Tokyo.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-exploration-blackhole/remarkable-image-of-black-hole-released-in-astrophysics-breakthrough-idUSKCN1RM1OP

That’s absolutely astonishing. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

space creeps me out.  That black hole is 55 million light years away from us, so essentially that's a snap shot of an image 55 million years ago (give or take depending on where the telescope is that they took the photo from)

I can here the Christmas Story Dad looking at this photo and saying, "its smiling at me"

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

pv9hQHm.png

This one is my favorite so far

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Actual conversation with my dad while watching a discovery channel doc on black holes as a kid:

Me: dad, someday I’m going to be the first person to eat a black hole.

him: I don’t think you’ll be the first, son.

2 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

The photoshop pic makes no sense.  A black hole is a sphere and not a donut with exterior light shadows.  The light is really coming from a thin layer of  stars rotating around a sphere emitting light just before they go dark.

Wrong.

Take 10 minutes and watch the video which was posted earlier.

25 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Wrong.

Take 10 minutes and watch the video which was posted earlier.

Wrong...at the center of a blackhole is a dark dense sphere pulling the surrounding matter inward in 3 dimensions. The bright halo we see is a thin sphere shaped 3 dimensional layer of stars getting pulled apart nearing destruction...like thin clouds covering the earth.

We don't see a black hole, we see the .matter surrounding it and in front of it.

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Wrong...at the center of a blackhole is a dark dense sphere pulling the surrounding matter inward in 3 dimensions. The bright halo we see is a thin sphere shaped 3 dimensional layer of stars getting pulled apart nearing destruction...like thin clouds covering the earth.

We don't see a black hole, we see the .matter surrounding it and in front of it.

Did you watch the video?

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

The photoshop pic makes no sense.  A black hole is a sphere and not a donut with exterior light shadows.  The light is really coming from a thin layer of  stars rotating around a sphere emitting light just before they go dark.

The illuminated disk immediately surrounding it is gas and plasma leeched off of stars or nebulae that veer too close and become entrapped and eventually devoured. Sometimes it can be forms of radiation that emit from the hole and illuminate by exciting the nearby gas and plasma.