Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cronin to UCLA for 4 million per year plus bonus

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Nope.

Jim Harrick coached a lot of ball. His best years were, by far, at Ucla.

Steve Lavin barely coached anywhere. Still, he was able to rack up sweet 16s at Ucla.

Ben Howland is a hell of a coach. Won at Northern Arizona, UCSB, Pitt. Dominated at Ucla until the nonsense.

Steve Alford lost to Harvard in the tourney as a 2-seed ten minutes before being hired at Ucla, and was far more successful here than anywhere else.

The very second Ucla hires a good coach, he’ll have the best run of his career here

Cronin has tournament issues, absolutely. Steve Alford was shit in the tournament. Showed up at UCLA and suddenly can make the Sweet 16 despite not caring a bit about the program, other than to make sure his son played more than was deserved. 

Good post, you nailed it on all points. 

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

They hated Howland's  slow style of play. Compared to Cronin, Howland plays an uptempo style.

Their expectations are probably lowered a bit since Howland (and since Arizona stopped making deep runs too).

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Their expectations are probably lowered a bit since Howland (and since Arizona stopped making deep runs too).

UCLA Bruins were never the Showtime Lakers. The expectations are the expectations, it's not the same tired lazy media excuse of "we want Wooden" repeated, we just prefer consistency and not then Alford version of consistently bad on defense.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, 1066 said:

Mick Cronin of UCincy going to UCLA. 4 million $ plus performance bonus. It is a surprise to me however many Cincy fans did not like him despite his 9 consecutive dance invites.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/mick-cronin-the-less-than-ideal-solution-to-uclas-messy-100-day-coaching-search/ar-BBVM8pI?ocid=spartandhp

It all started when he was an assistant for Bob Huggins.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/8066-no-hugs-bob-huggins-mick-cronin-have-contentious-history?share=other

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

True, however Cronin has a contentious history with just about everyone. He is a physically small man who has a complex of some kind. He is an excellent coach, but only if defense and recruiting are considered. He wins without an offence but only until his teams get to the dance. Then his teams simply collapse. I predict the same thing will happen at UCLA.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

True, however Cronin has a contentious history with just about everyone. He is a physically small man who has a complex of some kind. He is an excellent coach, but only if defense and recruiting are considered. He wins without an offence but only until his teams get to the dance. Then his teams simply collapse. I predict the same thing will happen at UCLA.

I don’t think he’s UCLA standard either.  They need a blue blood coach.  It’s what they deserve.

8 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

UCLA Bruins were never the Showtime Lakers. The expectations are the expectations, it's not the same tired lazy media excuse of "we want Wooden" repeated, we just prefer consistency and not then Alford version of consistently bad on defense.

I think you're going to be disappointed. Cronin is not better than Alford. He may not even be his equal.

After the meltdown the guy had during Nevada's comeback win in the Dance, I'm surprised UCLA even called him.  My only guess would be they got turned down by more people than reported and were simply out of options.

I knew Alford had to go, and  I honestly thought you guys were going to get an upgrade.

I'm completely baffled as to why top tier coaches avoid UCLA like the plague. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

He's simply a better coach, from the Xs and Os stand point. Maybe his style won't work, maybe his recruiting, or ability to transfer the ability to connect with players, but I assure you, Alford was a fraud at UCLA. I think I would rather have Lavin. Perhaps Alford is just a mid major coach and perhaps Cronin will fail, but it will be good to have a guy he isn't a complete tool as a person. But I certain would make a snap decision based on a single game. Otherwise Tony Bennett would not have been asked back to Virginia after losing to a 16 seed.

5 hours ago, 1066 said:

Someone made a post that I cannot find and Cronin really struggled with top 30 adjusted offenses. It wasnt defensive teams that were any more or less effective against him, it was when his defense met a team that was effective on the offensive end, his teams struggled. I think in the last 3 years, he's met the best offensive team in the seedings as an opponent. Those are the breaks. 

On 4/12/2019 at 9:33 AM, MrBug708 said:

Never isn’t the right word. Apparently you didn’t watch them much when Ball and Leaf were there and they averaged over 90 ppg. They still didn’t play defense, they just outscored everyone. 

Ben Howland was the last team that had them playing any defense. Cronin will reestablish that. He will be able to recruit better players than he had at UCinn. He may be a better hire than most think. 

Absolutely. I'm praying Arizona hires Walton when Miller is fired.

Walton spend a single season in college and has no desire to put up with the college grind. It be like bringing back Steve Lavin without the cache of being an assistant for a title winner.

If I wanted a crappy NBA coach, I would have just hired Earl Watson because he knows his way around the AAU circuit and is an alum.

He said Luke Walton AHAHAHAHAHAHA

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Never isn’t the right word. Apparently you didn’t watch them much when Ball and Leaf were there and they averaged over 90 ppg. 

Ben Howland was the last team that had them playing any defense. Cronin will reestablish that. He will be able to recruit better players than he had at UCinn. He may be a better hire than most think. 

That was Lonzo Ball. To Alford's credit, he just got out of the way and let the the team run itself. Of course that didn't help defensively or establish any sort of structure in the program, but it's Steve Alford. Not much was going on with him anyways with Bryce in the program.

Alford couldn't get to the second weekend. He basically inherited Howlands team and did just that. I'm not worried about tournament success with Cronin, that will work itself out. The highest concern is what sort of offense he can get going. In his presser, he said when you are the more talented team, you want more possessions. When you have less talent that the opposition, you want to slow the game down and limit chances. I'm hoping he is able to develop the offensive side because that will go the longest in determining his staying power at UCLA. Recruiting higher level players in his older style is a smaller concern. Some fans want to see top 5 recruiting, it's great to brag about, but I'm cool with Top20 classes consistently, with 5* thrown in here or there.

7 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

That was Lonzo Ball. To Alford's credit, he just got out of the way and let the the team run itself. Of course that didn't help defensively or establish any sort of structure in the program, but it's Steve Alford. Not much was going on with him anyways with Bryce in the program.

Alford couldn't get to the second weekend. He basically inherited Howlands team and did just that. I'm not worried about tournament success with Cronin, that will work itself out. The highest concern is what sort of offense he can get going. In his presser, he said when you are the more talented team, you want more possessions. When you have less talent that the opposition, you want to slow the game down and limit chances. I'm hoping he is able to develop the offensive side because that will go the longest in determining his staying power at UCLA. Recruiting higher level players in his older style is a smaller concern. Some fans want to see top 5 recruiting, it's great to brag about, but I'm cool with Top20 classes consistently, with 5* thrown in here or there.

Note that both teams in the NCAA finals this year were defense oriented. If defense returns UCLA to the Final Four Bruin fans will rejoice. If they don’t they are stupid. 

I had a strange experience last night. I woke up at 3 AM and made some coffee and turned my internet radio website to Smooth Radio 97.5 in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK. I just caught the sports report and included was a report about Coventry beating Newcastle in football (soccer) and surprisingly 2 reports on American Sports. The first was not all that much of a surprise as it was about the Masters and Woods big win. The second was about American college basketball coaches and their salary. Amongst several others the salary offered at UCLA (over 4 million) was the cause of shock and surprise to the two men and a woman discussing the problem. 

The more I think about it the more I see the point. Roads, bridges and our infrastructure in general are falling apart, California has spent many BILLIONS of dollars on a high speed train which is grossly over spent and less than half complete.  None of these college basketball programs make a profit, few even break even. Perhaps the answer is division 3 for everyone. I am a college BB and FB fan but more and more it seems hopeless. Especially when you are below the P5 divide as we all are here.

The other possibility is that I should not wake up a 3 AM EST (8 AM UK time.)

9 hours ago, 1066 said:

I had a strange experience last night. I woke up at 3 AM and made some coffee and turned my internet radio website to Smooth Radio 97.5 in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK. I just caught the sports report and included was a report about Coventry beating Newcastle in football (soccer) and surprisingly 2 reports on American Sports. The first was not all that much of a surprise as it was about the Masters and Woods big win. The second was about American college basketball coaches and their salary. Amongst several others the salary offered at UCLA (over 4 million) was the cause of shock and surprise to the two men and a woman discussing the problem. 

The more I think about it the more I see the point. Roads, bridges and our infrastructure in general are falling apart, California has spent many BILLIONS of dollars on a high speed train which is grossly over spent and less than half complete.  None of these college basketball programs make a profit, few even break even. Perhaps the answer is division 3 for everyone. I am a college BB and FB fan but more and more it seems hopeless. Especially when you are below the P5 divide as we all are here.

The other possibility is that I should not wake up a 3 AM EST (8 AM UK time.)

You are wrong about the profitability of college basketball. Any team averaging over 5,000 fans makes a profit as the team size and travel expenses are minimal compared to football.