Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

The latest - academia rubbish - Angry White Male Studies

27 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Specific curriculum decisions are made by individual departments and in any major public university that matters are made independent of funding decisions.

It's called academic freedom. It has been the norm for sometime now. And, as stated, some legislators are trying to change that.

There is what it should be and there is how it is.  Reality is the golden rule...he with the gold, rules.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

19 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Which one is it? Does he have a right to dictate specific curriculum because it's a public school, is he just a benign legislator making a random quote about something that isn't particularly of interest to him?

Really?  You are blowing a gasket because he said a course titled Angry White Male Studies "divides the student population".

JFC, gimme a break.

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Really?  You are blowing a gasket because he said a course titled Angry White Male Studies "divides the student population".

JFC, gimme a break.

I guess "academic freedom" only applies if you're a professor?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

There is what it should be and there is how it is.  Reality is the golden rule...he with the gold, rules.

The golden rule is what came to my mind as well.

Can you imagine a public university starting a course called "Bitchy Women in Postmodern America" .  of course not, Because there would be too much political pressure.

The theme of "The Angry White Male" is a perfectly reasonable topic for a humanities course.  Its just assinine to dedicate an entire course to it.  My first historiography class was taught by a feminist.  Part of her curriculum was that your term paper had to be on womens history.  I have no problem with that.  If this professor is so interested in the angry white male theme, he can incorporate that into his class like mine did.

Inspired by the Grand Poobah of Angry White Males. 

9596679453_0956580c7b_z.jpg

I get that this is a delayed response, because I'm in and out lately. But, whatever.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:52 PM, CPslograd said:

JFC, gimme a break.

Not sure how you interpret me as the one who was "blowing a gasket" when my entire point is that this class is not some indicator that academia is "out of control" as stated in the OP.  

On 4/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, pokebball said:

I guess "academic freedom" only applies if you're a professor?

Yes, this is correct.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:11 PM, CPslograd said:

The golden rule is what came to my mind as well.

Can you imagine a public university starting a course called "Bitchy Women in Postmodern America" .  of course not, Because there would be too much political pressure.

The theme of "The Angry White Male" is a perfectly reasonable topic for a humanities course.  Its just assinine to dedicate an entire course to it.  My first historiography class was taught by a feminist.  Part of her curriculum was that your term paper had to be on womens history.  I have no problem with that.  If this professor is so interested in the angry white male theme, he can incorporate that into his class like mine did.

Your first historiography class was likely a survey course or a required course for history majors, and thus is a methods course that is specifically designed to cover a lot of ground. The course in question here is an obscure upper division humanities seminar that focuses on a special topic. That sort of thing happens all the time. I took a special topics seminar on Hobbit poetry when I was an undergrad. Not sure if that is any more or less asinine than a course on angry white males.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Replace white with black,hispanic,asian,native American, middle eastern and the leftists would go out of their minds too

I think this is what keeps the red hat crowd up at night...  Others are quite comfortable with a diverse population :-)

Just now, alum93 said:

I think this is what keeps the red hat crowd up at night...  Others are quite comfortable with a diverse population :-)

That's not what he meant, and you phucking know it. He was pointing out the complete hypocrisy of the PC crowd. Then along comes your dumb ass failing miserably in your attempt to subtly drop the racist accusation. Doesn't surprise me, since you're one of this board's resident Communists.

15 minutes ago, sean327 said:

That's not what he meant, and you phucking know it. He was pointing out the complete hypocrisy of the PC crowd. Then along comes your dumb ass failing miserably in your attempt to subtly drop the racist accusation. Doesn't surprise me, since you're one of this board's resident Communists.

Of course it isn't what he meant.  I highlighted the part to make a joke.  But to be clear,  in case people can't read for themselves, , NVBlue was referring to the left being upset, going out of their minds were the exact words, if the shoe was on the other foot and NOT at all to people who wear red hats.  Feel better?  And either you don't know what communist actually means or you have me pegged wrong.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as you tend to sound educated in your posts. 

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Great addition to the conversation....... completely ignoring or gas lighting my point and calling conservatives prejudice at the same time. Bravo douche bag

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

35 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Great addition to the conversation....... completely ignoring or gas lighting my point and calling conservatives prejudice at the same time. Bravo douche bag

Goddamn guys it isn't mandatory to have a stick up your ass 24/7. Since this is apparently your first day on a message board, a smiley = joke. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

47 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

You are right.  it did ignore the point.  i admit it.  For the record, it's not a class i would be interested in taking.  The smiley face definitely didn't have the intended consequence.