Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSU fan in Columbus

Boise State 2020 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Maybe @bsu_alum9 can research the other classes.

It definitely looks like it is the best OL class in the last 20 years. But most years there are only 2-3 guys.  In hindsight there are a few years where Boise has had multiple NFL players int he same class.

2009: Charles Leno (.8537), Matt Paradis (UNR)

2011: Marcus Henry (.8392), Rees Odhiambo (.8066)

It's hard to research going back very far on 247 because fewer players were rated even 10 years ago, and a lot of the offers aren't showing. Also there has been massive grade inflation due to this.  It would probably be better to use the position ranking than the composite 247 score if you go back more than a couple years.

Leno (.8537) for example was the #54 OT nationally in 2011. Hernandez is rated about the same (.8539) but is ranked as the #82 OT nationally. (#54 OT this year would is in the .8670 range)

On 4/21/2020 at 2:36 PM, kingpotato said:

Is this year's OL class the best (on paper) Boise has ever had? The class itself was below the banner class of the year before, but I can't remember a better OL class.

Brandon Hernandez - .8539 - P5 offers; Oregon, Cal, Arizona State, Wazzu, Colorado, Colorado State
Kyle Juergens - .8390 - P5 offers; USC, Arizona State
Riden Leong (JC) - .8358 - P5 offers; Iowa State, TCU
Nathan Cordona - .8349 - P5 offers; Illinois, Colorado State. Also had offers from 10 MW schools.

That's an average north of .8400 and all four having P5 offers. I can't think of a better collective class. Maybe @bsu_alum9 can research the other classes.

Old Man Good Job GIF

I think, therefore I'm.

There was an article in the Athletic regarding incoming QB recruit Cade Fennegan. I couldn't read it, but he was a lightly recruited kid out of high school that Boise got a commitment from on his mission. He did get a late offer from USC, but is keeping his commitment to Boise. He looks pretty slight, so hopefully he ate well in Argentina. It's an area that desperately needs depth.

https://247sports.com/player/cade-fennegan-46036946/

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

There was an article in the Athletic regarding incoming QB recruit Cade Fennegan. I couldn't read it, but he was a lightly recruited kid out of high school that Boise got a commitment from on his mission. He did get a late offer from USC, but is keeping his commitment to Boise. He looks pretty slight, so hopefully he ate well in Argentina. It's an area that desperately needs depth.

https://247sports.com/player/cade-fennegan-46036946/

Let me know if that link I sent works. Here's a taste of parts of the article.

“When he was committed to UNT, I didn’t feel good about it, I just felt like he was better than that,” said Kevin Murray, Fennegan’s quarterback trainer since 2013. “USC is a great program, and I’ve known Graham for years, but I didn’t feel comfortable with Cade going there, just too much uncertainty. In Boise, you have stability, you’re going to win and you’re going to get coached up.”

The asados — Argentinian barbecues with all sorts of meats, accompanied by the famous chimichurri — kept him fed. Fennegan says he’s currently 6-foot-2, 180 pounds and “not a string bean.”

“It’s going to be a bumpy ride for him for a bit, being away for two years, but to be honest, he hasn’t been too bad,” Murray said. “I texted coach Riddle and told me he looks better than I anticipated, that he was still able to maintain his mechanics. He’s going to make them proud.”

His QB coach Kevin Murray is Kyler Murray's dad.

16 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Brian Harsin with two 2020 "Go Broncos" tweets. Looks like they've added two more to this class. I'm guessing grad transfers? Should find out soon

But didn’t have a scholarship available for Braydin Shipp. :hmmm:

Still no official word, but looks like one could be Taequan Tyler from Tyler JC. 5’-10, 200lb RB. He was a freshman in 2019 so would have 4 to play 3. He was offered a scholarship in late April and seems high on Boise.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

But didn’t have a scholarship available for Braydin Shipp. :hmmm:

Shipp was always a stretch I thought.  Then when you come back from mission remarkably out of shape and 230 lbs, maybe don't be upset with a grey shirt offer.  These recent offers appear like we are trying to solidify immediate depth.  Shipp would not have been able to provide that.

53 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Shipp was always a stretch I thought.  Then when you come back from mission remarkably out of shape and 230 lbs, maybe don't be upset with a grey shirt offer.  These recent offers appear like we are trying to solidify immediate depth.  Shipp would not have been able to provide that.

Yeah I get it. Listed at 6’-6, 265 on WSU roster.

https://weberstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/braydin-shipp/5133

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Still no official word, but looks like one could be Taequan Tyler from Tyler JC. 5’-10, 200lb RB. He was a freshman in 2019 so would have 4 to play 3. He was offered a scholarship in late April and seems high on Boise.

He's showing as signed, so I'd say he is one of the two

https://247sports.com/player/taequan-tyler-46059395/

U.S.C. quarterback transferring to Boise State as a Grad transfer.  Apparently he graduated in only 3 1/2 years at U.S.C. and will have 2 years of eligibility left at Boise State. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ex-usc-qb-jack-sears-joins-boise-state-football-program-as-a-graduate-transfer/

https://broncosports.com/news/2020/5/18/football-broncos-add-grad-transfer-quarterback.aspx

According to the Idaho Statesman's list of 2020 Boise State new recruits they have now added the maximum number of new additions for their 2020 class at 25 new scholarship players.   The 247 website lists only 23 I think.   On the Idaho Statesman list they have 26 players listed but the PK is a walk-on.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article242830176.html

53 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

Sears was originally thought to be headed to San Diego State but clearly he changed his mind about becoming an Aztec.

https://thespun.com/college-football/former-4-star-usc-quarterback-jack-sears-boise-state

Thinking he changed his mind when Rocky left? 

Anyway, this will provide some much needed depth with Back and Cord having injuries last year, and a suspect O Line. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Thinking he changed his mind when Rocky left? 

Anyway, this will provide some much needed depth with Back and Cord having injuries last year, and a suspect O Line. 

It's an interesting move on his part, but great for Boise. They might need him at some point, but I wouldn't expect him to start. Having three QBs with starting experience certainly makes you feel good about the depth. 

7 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

According to the Idaho Statesman's list of 2020 Boise State new recruits they have now added the maximum number of new additions for their 2020 class at 25 new scholarship players.   The 247 website lists only 23 I think.   On the Idaho Statesman list they have 26 players listed but the PK is a walk-on.

OT grad-transfer Ozu Osuji might be a walk-on as well. And same with grad-transfer TE Mason Sikes. Plus there is the opportunity to grey shirt a couple of the incoming recruits who are coming off of injury or not big enough (not ideal but sometimes happens).  I think they have a couple scholarships left anyway if somebody they really want is available.  But just as likely could hold on to those in order to hand out to deserving walk-ons.

I have a VERY difficult time believing that either of the two grad transfers you mentioned here are coming to Boise State as walk-ons.  Especially Osuji.    I know he came to Boise State because Boise State has a masters program in Kinesiology (his major at Rice) but he started 7 games the last two years at Rice and was a foregone conclusion to be a starter for next fall at Rice before he chose to transfer.  No way he transfers to Boise State as a walk-on.

4 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

I have a VERY difficult time believing that either of the two grad transfers you mentioned here are coming to Boise State as walk-ons.  Especially Osuji.    I know he came to Boise State because Boise State has a masters program in Kinesiology (his major at Rice) but he started 7 games the last two years at Rice and was a foregone conclusion to be a starter for next fall at Rice before he chose to transfer.  No way he transfers to Boise State as a walk-on.

Okay you're right.  Looks like they both "signed" so they are on scholarship. Could they be on partial scholarships and only do graduate school half time or something in the fall?  I think coaches have a lot of tools to shuffle things around to get the numbers right, because it always seems like they are adding guys when there are no spaces left.

7 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Okay you're right.  Looks like they both "signed" so they are on scholarship. Could they be on partial scholarships and only do graduate school half time or something in the fall?  I think coaches have a lot of tools to shuffle things around to get the numbers right, because it always seems like they are adding guys when there are no spaces left.

Partial schollies aren't a thing in FBS. I believe FCS teams have the ability to "split" scholarships, but in FBS you are either on scholarship or a walk on.