Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSU fan in Columbus

Boise State 2020 Recruiting

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Curtis Weaver had a USC offer last minute I believe.  

Semaj Verner offers included:

Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon State, Penn, UCLA, USC, and Yale plus 10 teams in the MW.

Bolded and underlined is the key to the whole operation. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

5 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Bolded and underlined is the key to the whole operation. 

#Ivyoffers.  Don't forget Penn!

This kid is awesome and I would not be surprised if he receives a late 4th stark like Skinner did last year.  Great size and athleticism  Boise is going to be longer and more athletic at DB then they have since Illoaka, Jeron Johnson and Wilson were back there.

16 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

#Ivyoffers.  Don't forget Penn!

This kid is awesome and I would not be surprised if he receives a late 4th stark like Skinner did last year. 

Verner, a defensive back/wide receiver with a 4.0 GPA, 21 scholarship offers and Ivy League interest, was declared ineligible last year after transferring from Lakewood. He became a top practice player for the Monsoons.

“He’s the all-around package,” Bedell said. “I think our guys respect him a ton because of what he went through last year, being at practice every day knowing he’s not going to play but finding a way to make the rest of the team better. That’s a huge deal.”

https://www.presstelegram.com/2019/08/12/high-school-football-preview-bedell-sees-lots-of-potential-in-no-5-mayfair/

Yup. Completely missed his junior season - so pretty impressive he’s rated where he is. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if his number moves up.

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yup. Completely missed his junior season - so pretty impressive he’s rated where he is. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if his number moves up.

Yeah, he looks like he might end up being the highest ranked player in the class

Just wanted to add - in listening to Harsin's interview the other day, it doesn't sound like they are as interested in signing most all of their class the first signing period this time around.  It sounds like they will get the core group of guys - and then still have a lot of remaining scholarships to hand out at the second signing period - which is different way of doing it from years past.

https://247sports.com/Player/Herbert-Gums-46052348/

Top rated commit in the MW so far (0.8710) with offers from LSU, Missouri, Arkansas, Arizona, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Iowa State.

The dude was a really good 6'-2", 220 LB running back.  Then put on 65 pounds and is now an athletic DT.

Wouldn't be surprised if he starts next year.

23 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Herbert-Gums-46052348/

Top rated commit in the MW so far (0.8710) with offers from LSU, Missouri, Arkansas, Arizona, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Iowa State.

The dude was a really good 6'-2", 220 LB running back.  Then put on 65 pounds and is now an athletic DT.

Wouldn't be surprised if he starts next year.

Now we're talking. That's the highest rated DL recruit since Billy Winn. With the entire DL graduating (or leaving for the NFL early), he has a chance to play right away. 

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Looks like a good get.  Why did he trip to Stephen F. Austin when he had all of those SEC and Big 12 offers?

Since you're here, do you know what happened to Shane Irwin?  Signed to SDSU in 2017 as a DE.  Redshirted.  Then quit the team before fall camp in 2018.  Played the last two seasons at LBCC.  Visiting Boise this weekend with his teammate at LBCC Danthony Jones.

23 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Since you're here, do you know what happened to Shane Irwin?  Signed to SDSU in 2017 as a DE.  Redshirted.  Then quit the team before fall camp in 2018.  Played the last two seasons at LBCC.  Visiting Boise this weekend with his teammate at LBCC Danthony Jones.

I don't recall.  We had a bit of turnover that year in frosh DL.  I remember one saying he didn't want to play anymore - think he was a local kid though.  From the practice reports at that time I don't ever recall hearing Irwin's name as a standout player so I didn't pay much attention when he left.  

Gums is a 4* on ESPN.  Also an Army All American participant.  With a strong showing in practice or the game he could jump to a composite 4 star.  Not often a G5 gets a D-linemen who was actively recruited by and had a spot to take with LSU, even if the offer was no longer commitable.

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Gums is a 4* on ESPN.  Also an Army All American participant.  With a strong showing in practice or the game he could jump to a composite 4 star.  Not often a G5 gets a D-linemen who was actively recruited by and had a spot to take with LSU, even if the offer was no longer commitable.

That's what this class was lacking. Harsin has signed a 4**** in every class he's been here. This class is starting to shape up. Sure would like a QB

Interesting to see him still playing. IIRC, story was he walked into Rocky’s office and told him he didn’t want to play football any more. I’d be real annoyed if he turned out to be a complete stud.

1 hour ago, badfish said:
Interesting to see him still playing. IIRC, story was he walked into Rocky’s office and told him he didn’t want to play football any more. I’d be real annoyed if he turned out to be a complete stud.

Yeah, there is an interview by Rocky bluntly saying he just quit the team.

47 tackles and 8.5 sacks at LBCC this year.

Boise has also offered two other guys on LBCC’s D-Line, DT Obicheri and Edge Jones. It looks like Danthony Jones also visited this weekend as well. Coaches apparently have the same worries about the D-line as fans do.