Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bitteraztec

Otzelberger to Taco Tech rumors

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I wouldn't even wish that on you guys.

Just sayin.

I wouldn't wish it on y'all either, and I don't think it's very likely. That being said, it would be one of the most ridiculous UNLV things to happen.

UCLA can’t afford Beard’s buyout to begin with, can’t even buyout Dixon who has a smaller buyout than Beard.

UCLA can throw 6-7 million annually at Beard but CA has high taxes and Texas is relatively tax friendly so Tech can conceivably offer similar take home pay. 

24 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

UCLA can’t afford Beard’s buyout to begin with, can’t even buyout Dixon who has a smaller buyout than Beard.

UCLA can throw 6-7 million annually at Beard but CA has high taxes and Texas is relatively tax friendly so Tech can conceivably offer similar take home pay. 

Yes, but have you been to Lubbock?

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yes, but have you been to Lubbock?

By all accounts Beard really likes it there.  Plus he can walk on water there at this point.  So he’s getting paid well, has outstanding job security and obviously can win at the highest level.

If he were looking to leave for more money, and remain in the part of the country he is fond off, he would have taken the Arkansas job.

Just now, Ernie Baer said:

By all accounts Beard really likes it there.  Plus he can walk on water there at this point.  So he’s getting paid well, has outstanding job security and obviously can win at the highest level.

If he were looking to leave for more money, and remain in the part of the country he is fond off, he would have taken the Arkansas job.

I don’t think he is going to UCLA. I just wanted to take a shot at Lubbock, because it really does suck.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don’t think he is going to UCLA. I just wanted to take a shot at Lubbock, because it really does suck.

The only place that Amarillo can laugh at. 

6 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I thought Ticksass Tech was his dream gig?

Fun fact: Every successful DI coach is in their dream gig ...

until another school drops an extra-sized bag of cash in their lap and they accept their new dream gig.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Fun fact: Every successful DI coach is in their dream gig ...

until another school drops an extra-sized bag of cash in their lap and they accept their new dream gig.

I get that. But I had thought Beard was a TT alum (when I checked I see he went to UT).

I will however say there are exceptions to every rule, and no shortage of them to this one (see: Rocky Long, Steve Fisher, Mark Few). When Brady Hoke bounced for Michigan, he had been upfront with our AD from Day 1 that he was content staying put unless his Dream Gig (at Michigan) came calling (which it did). And while he didn't exactly grow his value as a HC, I'm thinking he would have had no trouble finding a more prestigious position and a higher salary than he accepted reuniting with Rocky as a position coach in this goat f*ckery of a conference.

I do think it's fair to say an overwhelming majority of people will prioritize the money over everything else. Which, IMO, is a sad indictment of a majority of people.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I get that. But I had thought Beard was a TT alum (when I checked I see he went to UT).

I will however say there are exceptions to every rule, and no shortage of them to this one (see: Rocky Long, Steve Fisher, Mark Few). When Brady Hoke bounced for Michigan, he had been upfront with our AD from Day 1 that he was content staying put unless his Dream Gig (at Michigan) came calling (which it did). And while he didn't exactly grow his value as a HC, I'm thinking he would have had no trouble finding a more prestigious position and a higher salary than he accepted reuniting with Rocky as a position coach in this goat f*ckery of a conference.

I do think it's fair to say an overwhelming majority of people will prioritize the money over everything else. Which, IMO, is a sad indictment of a majority of people.

And we had Chris Ault. But those types are rare, unless it’s a coach at the end of his career. I don’t blame anyone for taking the money, really. Especially a younger coach. 

Just now, NVGiant said:

And we had Chris Ault. But those types are rare, unless it’s a coach at the end of his career. I don’t blame anyone for taking the money, really. Especially a younger coach. 

Strike while the iron is hot and all that. Most careers only see one arc of ascension, and that is most certainly the time to focus on career advancement.

I think once said goals have been achieved though, regardless of age, it's not that uncommon for other prioritizes to supplant career advancement.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

7 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

They had the money to make a run at Cal.  If Beard or Bennet can be had, they'll make it happen.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama