Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

Goodbye to Speed City's Home at SJSU

SJSU is going to remove Bud Winter Field and replace it with a parking garage.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/04/san-jose-state-plans-to-turn-track-near-spartan-stadium-into-parking-garage

Bud Winter Field was the home of SJSU's Speed City. Track legends like Tommie Smite, John Carlos, Lee Evans and others ran at Bud Winter.

The history of Speed City will be memorialized with plaques at the site.

But removing the historic track means SJSU's restated men's Track and Field team will have to train elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

SJSU is going to remove Bud Winter Field and replace it with a parking garage.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/04/san-jose-state-plans-to-turn-track-near-spartan-stadium-into-parking-garage

Bud Winter Field was the home of SJSU's Speed City. Track legends like Tommie Smite, John Carlos, Lee Evans and others ran at Bud Winter.

The history of Speed City will be memorialized with plaques at the site.

But removing the historic track means SJSU's restated men's Track and Field team will have to train elsewhere.

This is probably more significant than if they removed the football stadium and replaced it with a garage. 

5 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

This is probably more significant than if they removed the football stadium and replaced it with a garage. 

Would've made more sense to remove the football stadium and replace it with a garage probably.  San Jose had a claim to not just being the best, but a claim to greatness.  They are paving that over and saving a graveyard where athletes go and dream of somebody watching.  WTF?

28 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

20 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Would've made more sense to remove the football stadium and replace it with a garage probably.  San Jose had a claim to not just being the best, but a claim to greatness.  They are paving that over and saving a graveyard where athletes go and dream of somebody watching.  WTF?

Football stadium is several blocks from campus. Wouldn’t make much sense. I used to have to drive there to work when I lived on campus. 

Replacing it with a quidditch pitch is another story.

The track at San Diego State is on top of a parking structure https://arc.sdsu.edu/track  It appears to be a nice facility.  In general where SJSU can duplicate what SDSU has already done then by all means - get 'er done.

Apparently the WTA event is a huge success and the money from that event is what will likely fund a portion of the parking structure's construction costs.  Improving parking within a certain proximity to the event may be a condition of the WTA contract.

Personally I would prefer they just restored the track from it's present run down condition and built the parking structure where the old ice rink is.  That Ice rink is a HUGE eyesore and it's owned by the city, not SJSU.

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

The track at San Diego State is on top of a parking structure https://arc.sdsu.edu/track  It appears to be a nice facility.  In general where SJSU can duplicate what SDSU has already done then by all means - get 'er done.

Good idea but it is the same problem that SJSU athletics faces for many of their proposed projects, lack of money.

From the Mercury News article I linked above:

Some students suggested putting a track on top of a parking garage, which other universities, such as San Diego State University, have done. But that would have cost millions more, Faas said, and the university doesn’t have the money to go that route, either.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, Bruininthebay said:

Apparently the WTA event is a huge success and the money from that event is what will likely fund a portion of the parking structure's construction costs.  Improving parking within a certain proximity to the event may be a condition of the WTA contract.

Personally I would prefer they just restored the track from it's present run down condition and built the parking structure where the old ice rink is.  That Ice rink is a HUGE eyesore and it's owned by the city, not SJSU.

That "old ice rink", as you call it, was built in 1994, and re-modeled in 2005. It's the largest ice rink facility in the Western United States (it's actually four rinks). Besides being the training facility for the SJ Sharks and home ice for SJSU, it also supports youth and adult hockey leagues, public skating, speed skating, curling, and private/corporate events. It's a pretty important asset for the entire Bay Area, not just San Jose.

According to SJSU Athletics officials, California building codes have changed since  SDSU built their parking structure with a track facility on top. Those changes in codes made it a much more, and far too, expenisve an endeavor for SJSU to try an emulate.

Champ Logo.jpg

On 4/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

Just drop athletics. You suck at them anyways. 

Bad facilities, worse athletic performance. What does SJSU bring to the conference? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Bad facilities, worse athletic performance. What does SJSU bring to the conference? 

Prime recruiting area, a major population locale.  A guaranteed win?

5 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Prime recruiting area, a major population locale.  A guaranteed win?

I’ve heard the recruiting angle a few times. Fresno has gotten a few good athletes from the bay, including Davante Adams, but I’m not sure what SJSU had to do with it. If anything, I’m afraid SJSU scares off potential MWC recruits. I hope they don’t think the rest of the conference is in  bad of shape as SJSU. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

23 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

That "old ice rink", as you call it, was built in 1994, and re-modeled in 2005. It's the largest ice rink facility in the Western United States (it's actually four rinks). Besides being the training facility for the SJ Sharks and home ice for SJSU, it also supports youth and adult hockey leagues, public skating, speed skating, curling, and private/corporate events. It's a pretty important asset for the entire Bay Area, not just San Jose.

According to SJSU Athletics officials, California building codes have changed since  SDSU built their parking structure with a track facility on top. Those changes in codes made it a much more, and far too, expenisve an endeavor for SJSU to try an emulate.

Sharks Ice is going to greatly expand upon the existing venue next year.  The plan is for a $145MM Improvement that will add 2 more ice sheets (rinks), one of which will be 3 stories tall and serve as a home venue for the Barracuda (not sure how often they’ll do so, but I think they’ll still use the Tank, too). Fan capacity for games will be about 4,200.  Floor Area Square footage will increase another 116k - on top of the existing 177k.  More square footage, of course, will add to the 2nd and 3rd levels.  Medical offices (sub-leased), another bar/restaurant and, IIRC,  another dozen locker rooms are part of the plans.

One wonders what their own financial details are, but, clearly, SJSU offering a 1,500 space garage for that (burgeoning) City-Owned facility will supplement the day-to-day usage by students.  Let’s hope Marie and co. didn’t give the schitt away...