Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

NCAA Looking at Graduate Transfer Rule

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:39 PM, Headbutt said:

That's horseshit IMO.  I appreciate that they want to hold the folks who use the rule accountable.  I'm all for the notion of making academics a part of graduate eligibility.  Having said that, are they really wanting to demand that student-athletes earn a masters degree in two semesters or the FB team gets punished?  I'm guessing that the disgruntled coaches pushing this couldn't give a crap whether the kid earns a degree or not, as long as they don't go play for a rival.

I'm all on board with requiring successful completion of a degree to excuse the transfer, I do however think one year is a little quick.

I fully agree with your statement. However I would go further and say that undergraduate athletes must complete their BA, BS, BE etc. within 5 years or the school gets docked one scholarship for 1 year. If they are going to be student-athletes then let us honor the student part equally. 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

What a crock. The ncaa is a cartel.

Very true, but an extremely well run and successful one. This is a perfect example of the double standard. 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Let me get this straight---the NCAA is concerned that kids that have earned an undergraduate degree and still have eligibility left will not finish their graduate degree-----but they are largely unconcerned with kids at UNC earning fake degrees?   The NCAA really has reached the point where it really serves no useful purpose.  

On the contrary it serves a significant purpose to the Power 5. It is the rest of us who ARE NOT served by the NCAA and will never be.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

I fully agree with your statement. However I would go further and say that undergraduate athletes must complete their BA, BS, BE etc. within 5 years or the school gets docked one scholarship for 1 year. If they are going to be student-athletes then let us honor the student part equally. 

Isn't that pretty much the case already.  The APR is supposed to measure just that.  The devil is in the details though.  If a kid falls behind at his school, then transfers, then fails to graduate on time, who gets docked?  It would seem the failure was at the first school, but he failed to graduate from the second.

15 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It’s pretty apparent a lot of coaches are pissed they are losing some pretty good senior players and want to put a stop to it. 

Musselman is probably shitting bricks over this potential rule change. 

Not shitting bricks, but not happy about it. It just means he has to do another transfer or two depending on the year. Now, the grad transfers that have two years to play are awesome. But not many of those are around, but we recently had one in FB.

I’d like to see the same rule that’s in FB be applied to BB where a player has to play 3 years before they can go pro. That means the blue bloods wouldn’t be taking as many elite players, and theoretically that should trickle down to mid majors having the chance to score a better player or two. Of course, it would really help MM’s if they got to keep a diamond in the rough that exploded into draft pick quality for 3 years. For example, that stud at Murray St. (Ja  Morant) that got them to the tourney is leaving having just finished his sophomore year. 

kat.jpg

17 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Not shitting bricks, but not happy about it. It just means he has to do another transfer or two depending on the year. Now, the grad transfers that have two years to play are awesome. But not many of those are around, but we recently had one in FB.

I’d like to see the same rule that’s in FB be applied to BB where a player has to play 3 years before they can go pro. That means the blue bloods wouldn’t be taking as many elite players, and theoretically that should trickle down to mid majors having the chance to score a better player or two. Of course, it would really help MM’s if they got to keep a diamond in the rough that exploded into draft pick quality for 3 years. For example, that stud at Murray St. (Ja  Morant) that got them to the tourney is leaving having just finished his sophomore year. 

Players should just be draft eligible at all times. Forcing them to stay 3 years is dumb in football, dumb in baseball, and would be dumb in basketball too.

12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Players should just be draft eligible at all times. Forcing them to stay 3 years is dumb in football, dumb in baseball, and would be dumb in basketball too.

Everyone has an opinion. If a school commits to pay your education and gives cost of living payments, the player should commit as well. You have to have stability in a basketball program, and allowing them to leave a year early is plenty reasonable. A player doesn’t have to play NCAA ball to get to the NBA. If he doesn’t like it, go play in Europe if he thinks he’d be good enough to have a 1 and done. 

kat.jpg

13 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Everyone has an opinion. If a school commits to pay your education and gives cost of living payments, the player should commit as well. You have to have stability in a basketball program, and allowing them to leave a year early is plenty reasonable. A player doesn’t have to play NCAA ball to get to the NBA. If he doesn’t like it, go play in Europe if he thinks he’d be good enough to have a 1 and done. 

Yea, and It’s incredibly stupid that a player has to make that decision in the U.S. These kids should be signed to pro contracts and being paid to develop as basketball players like young basketball players everywhere else in the world. 

Why have any rules? Open everything up. Let shoe companies and agents pay all athletes.

Why even make these kids students? Sports is separate from academics. 

Who cares about keeping the thought of amateurism?

Same for highshool. 

41 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, and It’s incredibly stupid that a player has to make that decision in the U.S. These kids should be signed to pro contracts and being paid to develop as basketball players like young basketball players everywhere else in the world. 

As you know, there just isn’t a market for non-NBA minor league basketball in the US right now. The players could develop in the G League if they were good enough. 

kat.jpg

35 minutes ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

Why have any rules? Open everything up. Let shoe companies and agents pay all athletes.

Why even make these kids students? Sports is separate from academics. 

Who cares about keeping the thought of amateurism?

Same for highshool. 

No one is going to pay to see a HS level minor league or a non-NBA minor league for older players. If a kid wants to take his GED and find a place to play, he can.

kat.jpg

48 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

As you know, there just isn’t a market for non-NBA minor league basketball in the US right now. The players could develop in the G League if they were good enough. 

Yea this means nothing to me. Sports leagues should develop their own players, period. The fact that universities develop professional athletes in the U.S. is just stupid. 

47 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea this means nothing to me. Sports leagues should develop their own players, period. The fact that universities develop professional athletes in the U.S. is just stupid. 

It makes total sense because that’s where all the athletes are. It just so happens that most of these athletes in college don’t go pro. But if you’re going to go pro, you need the big numbers of these good athletes to make you better. There isn’t any minor league that could touch the quality of play in NCAA FB and BB. Minors leagues are boring as shit compared to college. 

kat.jpg

17 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

It makes total sense because that’s where all the athletes are. It just so happens that most of these athletes in college don’t go pro. But if you’re going to go pro, you need the big numbers of these good athletes to make you better. There isn’t any minor league that could touch the quality of play in NCAA FB and BB. Minors leagues are boring as shit compared to college. 

Are you under the impression that I don’t understand how the system works in the U.S.? Dude, I am aware of the how and why, It just means phuck all to me because the system is bullshit. Pro leagues should be developing their own players, and universities shouldn’t have a role in developing pro athletes, it’s just that simple. So “that’s the way it’s always been” and “(fill in the blank entity) profits off this” arguments mean absolutely nothing to me.

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Are you under the impression that I don’t understand how the system works in the U.S.? Dude, I am aware of the how and why, It just means phuck all to me because the system is bullshit. Pro leagues should be developing their own players, and universities shouldn’t have a role in developing pro athletes, it’s just that simple. So “that’s the way it’s always been” and “(fill in the blank entity) profits off this” arguments mean absolutely nothing to me.

Do you watch college football or basketball? Based on your post, why? 

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Am I under the impression that you don’t understand how the system works? Well, just to be on the safe side I mentioned it because you’re an SJSU fan. 

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Do you watch college football or basketball? Based on your post, why? 

I was a huge fan of college football from high school through my late 20s and would watch pretty much any game that was on. Now I watch SJSU and UNLV games when they are televised, but that’s it. I recently got rid of all my live TV in favor of just an OTA antenna and Netflix/Hulu/ESPN+, so I won’t be watching much of them this year. 

Never was a huge college basketball fan, but I’ll watch UNLV when they are on the local channel. If I do a bracket with my friends I’ll watch March Madness, but if I don’t have any money on it (like this year) I have little to no interest and don’t watch any games. 

If you are going to follow this up with “why are you here?”, the answer is I started posting here when I was still a big college football fan, and even though I don’t watch much any more I still support my alma mater and enjoy the conversation here.

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Am I under the impression that you don’t understand how the system works? Well, just to be on the safe side I mentioned it because you’re an SJSU fan. 

Yea I asked because you kept explaining how and why pro players are developed this way. I get why, I just fundamentally disagree with it. Now do you have any actual reasons why you think this is a good system? Or is it just “whatevs, this is how it’s always been and it works”? 

College football and basketball are great sports even though there is a lot of corruption involved. As a fan of college sports I would hate to see it ruined by going to professional minor leagues. I can appreciate the notion the players should be paid, but selfishly I’d hate to see it kill college sports as it currently exists. I would also argue the great majority of players won’t be professional and the free education they receive will pay them back many times over when they graduate.