Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

NCAA Looking at Graduate Transfer Rule

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

College football and basketball are great sports even though there is a lot of corruption involved. As a fan of college sports I would hate to see it ruined by going to professional minor leagues. I can appreciate the notion the players should be paid, but selfishly I’d hate to see it kill college sports as it currently exists. I would also argue the great majority of players won’t be professional and the free education they receive will pay them back many times over when they graduate. 

I actually am ambivalent about it as well. I guess I could sum up my feelings by saying I like college football, but I HATE the ncaa. I also hate that the NFL and NBA don’t develop their own players when they can afford to, although the NBA seems to be on a path to doing that with the age limit likely being removed in a few years. This would leave the richest sports league in the world as the only major pro sports league without their own player development system. 

Would I like the fact that, if I got my way, college athletics as we know it would cease to exist? No. But I also feel that they never should have existed in this way in the first place. The rest of the world seems to get by just fine without the big business of college sports, so I think we could manage as well. 

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

College football and basketball are great sports even though there is a lot of corruption involved. As a fan of college sports I would hate to see it ruined by going to professional minor leagues. I can appreciate the notion the players should be paid, but selfishly I’d hate to see it kill college sports as it currently exists. I would also argue the great majority of players won’t be professional and the free education they receive will pay them back many times over when they graduate. 

Just let players make money off their own likeness

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

"Incoming freshman college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall...

"The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball."

And @wolfpack1 ,  for the baseball thread...

"Defeated a proposal to add an additional countable assistant coach in baseball and softball."

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

"Incoming freshman college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall...

"The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball."

"Defeated a proposal to add an additional countable assistant coach in baseball and softball."

Interesting. So I would assume most walk-ons will enter the transfer portal every year now? I mean, I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

24 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Interesting. So I would assume most walk-ons will enter the transfer portal every year now? I mean, I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Ummm, because they've already picked the school they want a degree from.  They're not in the system to get drafted.  They're "walk-ons", sports are not their primary reason for being on campus.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Ummm, because they've already picked the school they want a degree from.  They're not in the system to get drafted.  They're "walk-ons", sports are not their primary reason for being on campus.

A walk on is probably on campus to compete in sports more than many of the scholarship players.  You can tell you have never been involved in College sports.   A walk on is treated like shit by everyone, they have to have 5 times the motivation to be on the team as a scholarship player.  If they just wanted a degree it would be a whole lot easier to play intramurals and go to class.

50 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

A walk on is probably on campus to compete in sports more than many of the scholarship players.  You can tell you have never been involved in College sports.   A walk on is treated like shit by everyone, they have to have 5 times the motivation to be on the team as a scholarship player.  If they just wanted a degree it would be a whole lot easier to play intramurals and go to class.

Whew.  Thanks for the help.

15 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Have you not heard of PWOs? They are recruited. And if I’m a walk-on why wouldn't I continuously put my name out there to see if another school would want to offer me a scholarship? 

25 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The graduate transfer situation is getting out of hand. Some teams are losing three and four starters. 

So? These players have "graduated". They have fulfilled their obligations. 

Who's losing 4 starters?

22 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Yeah saw that about the baseball. I don't know maybe not put money into something that isn't making you money?

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

So? These players have "graduated". They have fulfilled their obligations. 

Who's losing 4 starters?

UCSB entered this season with an entirely new starting lineup from 2017-2018.   The '17-'18 lineup was two grad transfers, two seniors and a sophomore.  Our lone returner missed the first nine games of this season due to a concussion and only started 13 games overall.  Ergo, 4.5 starters were lost.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

UCSB entered this season with an entirely new starting lineup from 2017-2018.   The '17-'18 lineup was two grad transfers, two seniors and a sophomore.  Our lone returner missed the first nine games of this season due to a concussion and only started 13 games overall.  Ergo, 4.5 starters were lost.

I meant, did anyone lose 4 grads who still had eligibility?

12 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I meant, did anyone lose 4 grads who still had eligibility?

Ahh.  Then no, in our case.