Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

sorry...I was more thinking out loud than challenging you.

No that's fine I laughed when they said the name. But I think it was a game on trying to figure out who the high profile target and maybe people were just throwing names out

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I see Arkansas is as delusional as UNLV about their status from their glory days 25 years ago.

Nice.

Except they didn't fall off the map the way you guys did.  They make it to the 2nd rd frequently. Not great, but it is something. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

32 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Except they didn't fall off the map the way you guys did.  They make it to the 2nd rd frequently. Not great, but it is something. 

They made the second round twice in eight seasons...not exactly a sterling record of accomplishment. Nice try at trolling tho.

34 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

They made the second round twice in eight seasons...not exactly a sterling record of accomplishment. Nice try at trolling tho.

Trolling?  They've made the 2nd rd seven times and the Dance 12 times since their NC in '94.

Nothing stellar, but not falling off the map either.

Barack Obama

29 minutes ago, bigd said:

Assuming he leaves who would be a good replacement?

Tim Miles? Steve Alford? Joe Pasternack? David Padgett?

I would push for Alford but I don't see him working for that money the university would offer. Pasternack, his name has been dropped a few times with the FBI thing so maybe kind of shy away a bit. 

Or maybe Randy Bennett? :P

9 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I would push for Alford but I don't see him working for that money the university would offer. Pasternack, his name has been dropped a few times with the FBI thing so maybe kind of shy away a bit. 

Or maybe Randy Bennett? :P

I doubt Bennett would leave, he seems quite comfortable at St Mary's.

I agree, of the people I listed Alford would be the most interesting. Not sure how his buyout is with UCLA, but he may already be making good money and be willing to work for less. I'd love to see him at Nevada.

Either way, I have great faith that Knuth will make the best hire possible. 

1 minute ago, bigd said:

I doubt Bennett would leave, he seems quite comfortable at St Mary's.

I agree, of the people I listed Alford would be the most interesting. Not sure how his buyout is with UCLA, but he may already be making good money and be willing to work for less. I'd love to see him at Nevada.

Either way, I have great faith that Knuth will make the best hire possible. 

I was being a smartass about Bennett with the issues between him and Nevada. 

However I said in the UNLV thread I would make a push for Alford. But I am thinking an assistant either within or with another school

2 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Trent?

It would admittedly be fun to steal him from Cal and Fox. Could also bring David Padgett with him. 

I'd honestly love to see it, although his last couple stops weren't so successful. 

56 minutes ago, bigd said:

It would admittedly be fun to steal him from Cal and Fox. Could also bring David Padgett with him. 

I'd honestly love to see it, although his last couple stops weren't so successful. 

Dear god no to Padgett. How about he actually do something in coaching first...

And T.J.? You can never go home. That boat sailed the minute he took the Stanford job.

How about we let our AD, who has a solid track record of hiring at Nevada do his job? I’m sure there are a number of small school wonders who would jump at the chance, ala, T.J. Whataburger @ Vegas.

What Nevada can’t do is what it did last time...  pick from a internal and tiny Nevada coaching tree! 

7 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I was being a smartass about Bennett with the issues between him and Nevada. 

However I said in the UNLV thread I would make a push for Alford. But I am thinking an assistant either within or with another school

I wouldn't want Alford.  I don't think he's that good of a coach.  He never got UNM past the 2nd round. I'd rather roll the dice on a up and comer. 

Barack Obama

8 hours ago, bigd said:

Assuming he leaves who would be a good replacement?

Tim Miles? Steve Alford? Joe Pasternack? David Padgett?

Let's hit the Pitino tree with Mark Pope. He's done well at Utah Valley. Good recruiter, bring in Padgett as protege and coach in waiting when Pope gets plucked.