mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Sounds good to me. 

Who really cares who the coach is anyway. Chalk up wins and play exciting ball and all is good. 

I still wouldn’t want Steve though.

• Like 1

Just now, quickdraw said:

Who really cares who the coach is anyway. Chalk up wins and play exciting ball and all is good. 

I still wouldn’t want Steve though.

Honestly, he was never a guy I wanted or thought we'd even go after.  But after reading about him, I don't think we could have done any better.  And it does send a message that we are serious about building and maintaining a program here. 

If Alford gets a win in the Dance we will have won in the NCAA under 4 coaches in the past 16 years or so.  Not many mid majors can make that claim.   

• Like 2

Alford is a solid coach and he’ll do very well back in the MWC. While the conference seems up in the air as usuall for this time of year everything will settle in within the month of November  as usual. UNR will still be at the top’ish. The top will stay there, SJSU will own the bottom with one or two others and the middle will turn like a roulette wheel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Alford is a solid coach and he’ll do very well back in the MWC. While the conference seems up in the air as usuall for this time of year everything will settle in within the month of November  as usual. UNR will still be at the top’ish. The top will stay there, SJSU will own the bottom with one or two others and the middle will turn like a roulette wheel.

If we don't get some guys in we'll be battling UNLV for 7th place. 

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If he does awesome, there’s no doubt he’d be getting new contracts with raises. The $2 mil that was offered to Muss will probably be there for him if the donors are happy with the success. At that point IIRC we’d be right there with a big group of PAC-12 schools regarding salary. And we’d be higher than Few at Gonzaga.

Gonzaga could be in deep trouble when Few retires. They only pay Few $1.9 mil, and that’s not going to get themselves a Few quality coach. With no FB, I don’t know why they can’t pay a coach $3 mil like Wichita. I know they have rich donors, but Gonzaga should be able to get a ton of smaller but still good donations. 

So the money thing might not be a big deal unless he’s in the running for the Arizona and UCLA kind of schools.

Few is what, 55? They won't have to worry about that for a decade...

53 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Few is what, 55? They won't have to worry about that for a decade...

Few is not happy in the wcc. He won’t be there very long. 

3 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Few is not happy in the wcc. He won’t be there very long. 

they should have joined the MWC IMHO...

Gonzaga, UNLV, SDSU, New Mexico, Nevada, Boise St, Fresno St, USU, etc

that would offer far better competition than the WCC

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

they should have joined the MWC IMHO...

Gonzaga, UNLV, SDSU, New Mexico, Nevada, Boise St, Fresno St, USU, etc

that would offer far better competition than the WCC

He tried to. The admin shit him down. 

8 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If we don't get some guys in we'll be battling UNLV for 7th place. 

How long does Alford wait until he goes after replacements? These guys can’t wait around too much longer.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

How long does Alford wait until he goes after replacements? These guys can’t wait around too much longer.

He was hired April 12. It’s been exactly one week since he was hired. Lots to decide in such a short window. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If he does awesome, there’s no doubt he’d be getting new contracts with raises. The $2 mil that was offered to Muss will probably be there for him if the donors are happy with the success. At that point IIRC we’d be right there with a big group of PAC-12 schools regarding salary. And we’d be higher than Few at Gonzaga.

Gonzaga could be in deep trouble when Few retires. They only pay Few $1.9 mil, and that’s not going to get themselves a Few quality coach. With no FB, I don’t know why they can’t pay a coach $3 mil like Wichita. I know they have rich donors, but Gonzaga should be able to get a ton of smaller but still good donations. 

So the money thing might not be a big deal unless he’s in the running for the Arizona and UCLA kind of schools.

They have the replacement for Few on their coaching staff.

Few could have had any major program had he wanted, if he were unhappy. UW would have gladly taken him 2 years ago and likely reached out. He just likes it there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

They have the replacement for Few on their coaching staff.

Few could have had any major program had he wanted, if he were unhappy. UW would have gladly taken him 2 years ago and likely reached out. He just likes it there

Coaches in waiting are a crap shoot. Look what happened to Noodles when Alford left New Mexico. The jury is still out on Dutcher at SDSU. David Carter taking over for Fox didn’t go well. I’m very well aware of Few’s situation.

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

He was hired April 12. It’s been exactly one week since he was hired. Lots to decide in such a short window. 

I’m just saying that if all or most of them leave, we won’t have enough players to even fill out a starting 5.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:02 PM, Nevada Convert said:

or Parrish.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:15 PM, renoskier said:

I'm 99% sure that Parrish is gone:(

Woohoooo!!!! I was wrong, wrong wrong!!!!!

Welcome to the Pack Eric!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Coaches in waiting are a crap shoot. Look what happened to Noodles when Alford left New Mexico. The jury is still out on Dutcher at SDSU. David Carter taking over for Fox didn’t go well. I’m very well aware of Few’s situation.

Crapshoot or not, it's the situation at Gonzaga

40 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Woohoooo!!!! I was wrong, wrong wrong!!!!!

Welcome to the Pack Eric!!!

Holy Crap! Awesome news! Let’s hope it starts an avalanche.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Crapshoot or not, it's the situation at Gonzaga

I know, but back to my original point, when Few retires, Gonzaga better be ready to  pay a lot more than Few.