Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

meanwhile does Alford open up a league bowling tournament in Reno or what? 

giphy.gif

No. He’d go to a starting 5 meeting and there would be hundreds of boosters who actually care about the program. Not go to an event that’s burying Vegas sports and act like people give two chits. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

No. He’d go to a starting 5 meeting and there would be hundreds of boosters who actually care about the program. Not go to an event that’s burying Vegas sports and act like people give two chits. 

Harsh.  He looked pretty excited to be there.  Unlv is big time for that guy.  Give him a break. 

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Does the guy remind you of Dave Rice?  

I don’t think Rice was awe struck to be at Unlv.  This guy played D3 basketball and then coached some small time schools.  This is a big big deal for him.  We will see how he handles it.  Wonder if he asked for the kids autographs when he first met them?  Who knows.  Wish him the best. 

No, Alford is looking at his not too bad performance at UCLA and calculating how many wins and post season notoriety he needs to get back to the P5.

He just saw that Muss was able to move on through the “Biggest Little City” and get to a P% job so he is following in the same path. 

I’m thinking that he will be very motivated to win conferences, tourneys or in the dance. 

So Reno should stay in the top few positions while little Stevie does his thing.

37 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

No, Alford is looking at his not too bad performance at UCLA and calculating how many wins and post season notoriety he needs to get back to the P5.

He just saw that Muss was able to move on through the “Biggest Little City” and get to a P% job so he is following in the same path. 

I’m thinking that he will be very motivated to win conferences, tourneys or in the dance. 

So Reno should stay in the top few positions while little Stevie does his thing.

I guess that would explain the ten year deal. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

If he does awesome, there’s no doubt he’d be getting new contracts with raises. The $2 mil that was offered to Muss will probably be there for him if the donors are happy with the success. At that point IIRC we’d be right there with a big group of PAC-12 schools regarding salary. And we’d be higher than Few at Gonzaga.

Gonzaga could be in deep trouble when Few retires. They only pay Few $1.9 mil, and that’s not going to get themselves a Few quality coach. With no FB, I don’t know why they can’t pay a coach $3 mil like Wichita. I know they have rich donors, but Gonzaga should be able to get a ton of smaller but still good donations. 

So the money thing might not be a big deal unless he’s in the running for the Arizona and UCLA kind of schools.

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Sounds good to me. 

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I guess that would explain the ten year deal. 

Steve eats and spits out 10 year deals. The last 10 year deal he signed didn’t last 10 days if I remember correctly. Ask a Lobo.

1 minute ago, quickdraw said:

Steve eats and spits out 10 year deals. The last 10 year deal he signed didn’t last 10 days if I remember correctly. Ask a Lobo.

It was never signed.  Ask a Lobo. 

Barack Obama

Just now, quickdraw said:

Who really cares who the coach is anyway. Chalk up wins and play exciting ball and all is good. 

I still wouldn’t want Steve though.

Honestly, he was never a guy I wanted or thought we'd even go after.  But after reading about him, I don't think we could have done any better.  And it does send a message that we are serious about building and maintaining a program here. 

If Alford gets a win in the Dance we will have won in the NCAA under 4 coaches in the past 16 years or so.  Not many mid majors can make that claim.   

Barack Obama

Alford is a solid coach and he’ll do very well back in the MWC. While the conference seems up in the air as usuall for this time of year everything will settle in within the month of November  as usual. UNR will still be at the top’ish. The top will stay there, SJSU will own the bottom with one or two others and the middle will turn like a roulette wheel.

2 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Alford is a solid coach and he’ll do very well back in the MWC. While the conference seems up in the air as usuall for this time of year everything will settle in within the month of November  as usual. UNR will still be at the top’ish. The top will stay there, SJSU will own the bottom with one or two others and the middle will turn like a roulette wheel.

If we don't get some guys in we'll be battling UNLV for 7th place. 

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If he does awesome, there’s no doubt he’d be getting new contracts with raises. The $2 mil that was offered to Muss will probably be there for him if the donors are happy with the success. At that point IIRC we’d be right there with a big group of PAC-12 schools regarding salary. And we’d be higher than Few at Gonzaga.

Gonzaga could be in deep trouble when Few retires. They only pay Few $1.9 mil, and that’s not going to get themselves a Few quality coach. With no FB, I don’t know why they can’t pay a coach $3 mil like Wichita. I know they have rich donors, but Gonzaga should be able to get a ton of smaller but still good donations. 

So the money thing might not be a big deal unless he’s in the running for the Arizona and UCLA kind of schools.

Few is what, 55? They won't have to worry about that for a decade...

mem skyline sig.jpeg