Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

Did you guys notice the article where Muss was asked about the Alford hire, and he said (paraphrasing) “Yes, I know Steve and he was a great choice and fit. Wolf Pack Nation can rest easy knowing that Steve is at the helm and the new driver of the Muss Bus.” No, I just added the Muss Bus part for kicks. 🙂

But honestly, even if it were anyone else’s, he wouldn’t have said anything negative. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

But I want to know NOW!!

I won't worry for another week.  But I did think we would have heard whether or not Noodles is coming.  

pretty sure you'll see Noodles there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan Miller there. which I would NOT like, lol.

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

So we don’t know yet if Knuth will give it to him? 

I wonder if Knuth would give it to him if he agrees not to go to AR? 

:shrug: Don't know if you can place restrictions of a release. Don't know if it would be a good idea either way.

7 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

No chance Nevada can afford Noodles and Miller

Maybe. But Noodles will be cheap at this point, Ryan you would pay for. I've just been seeing him posting a lot about Alford/UNR. Kind of got the radar going, lol.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

:shrug: Don't know if you can place restrictions of a release. Don't know if it would be a good idea either way.

A couple of years ago Phil Martelli put a ton of restrictions on a kid transferring out of St Joes. And he got a lot of flack for it.

13 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

No chance Nevada can afford Noodles and Miller

Noodles doesn’t seem to be worth much these days and he’s been out of coaching since early 2017.

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I know in FB, lots of coaches let people go with the stipulation that they can’t go to any conf teams. I would think Basketball is the same. Maybe not. I’d be OK with him in the MWC because the conference needs to get better.

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Noodles doesn’t seem to be worth much these days and he’s been out of coaching since early 2017.

I know in FB, lots of coaches let people go with the stipulation that they can’t go to any conf teams. I would think Basketball is the same. Maybe not. I’d be OK with him in the MWC because the conference needs to get better.

That is what i was going to bring up. Its actually pretty common i think in football if you let someone transfer they will say Ok as long as you don't transfer to another school in the conference, in the state that sort of thing

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Does anyone know approximately how long they can stay in the portal before the new coach says that he’s going to have to assume the kid is gone and bring in a new recruit? 

It is a new year and the coach/AD can decide whoever they want to offer their 13 scholarships too. Transfer portal doesn't have anything to do with it. The coach is responsible every year to decide their best options for a team.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

It is a new year and the coach/AD can decide whoever they want to offer their 13 scholarships too. Transfer portal doesn't have anything to do with it. The coach is responsible every year to decide their best options for a team.

Some of these guys could be grad transfers, so they wouldn’t need a release.

Let’s say player A is in the portal as a grad transfer. Alford offers him a scholly. So my question is at what point is the typical time frame when a coach can’t wait any longer for player A to decide if he wants to return to Nevada and Alford pulls his scholly because there’s a grad transfer that wants to play for Nevada? 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Some of these guys could be grad transfers, so they wouldn’t need a release.

Let’s say player A is in the portal as a grad transfer. Alford offers him a scholly. So my question is at what point is the typical time frame when a coach can’t wait any longer for player A to decide if he wants to return to Nevada and Alford pulls his scholly because there’s a grad transfer that wants to play for Nevada? 

Since scholarships are 1 year deals, a coach wouldn't have to "pull" a scholarship. I suppose a coach would just move on with his business of trying to sign the very best players he could. If that meant he used up all of his available spots before the the athlete made up his mind, so be it. Although, I'd be very surprised if it ever came to that.