Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

8 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

That is literally the opposite of what Alford is. Defensive efficiency ranking was 192 in 2018. 144 in 2017. 227 in 2016. 130 in 2015.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency?date=2015-04-06

His adjusted defensive ratings we're slightly better but not near anything you would call decent.

https://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2016&s=RankAdjDE

just because you preach something doesn't mean you're always successful at it...see Tubby Smith as an example.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 4/1/2019 at 4:08 PM, mugtang said:

Unfortunately not an April fools joke.  According to their 247 insider forum (which I have access to as a former publisher), Muss is their choice and it’ll be announced tomorrow.  We’ve had a nice run.  

I hovered over the new title in this thread, and this ^ ^ ^

seemed appropriate, :D

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I hovered over the new title in this thread, and this ^ ^ ^

seemed appropriate, :D

Hahahaha

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Apparently we got Alford on the cheap for the first two years of the contract (thanks UCLA!)

By the end of his contract he will be at $1.5 million. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Here’s how it breaks down in total:

Now - June 2021: 500k

July 2021 - June 2022: $1.150 million

July 2022 - June 2023: $1.2 million 

2023-2024: $1.25 million

2024-2025: $1.3 million 

and increasing 50k a year to 1.5 million the final year of the contract. 

5 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Yeah. 3 or 4 years is plenty of time for Alford to antagonize the media and fans.

The media will kiss his ass no matter what so you don't have to worry about that. And he can't be any worse that Pat Foster toward the end of his years here.

1 minute ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Wow.

UCLA is still paying him through April of 2020 so really the only year he’s taking a big hit is June 2020-July 2021. 

UCLA settled the buy out so any money Alford is giving up is on his own accord, probably to make himself look more attractive. Sounds like he will be the coach for 5 or 6 more years at the least. Maybe Archie Miller sucks enough, Indiana comes calling

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

UCLA is still paying him through April of 2020 so really the only year he’s taking a big hit is June 2020-July 2021. 

If remember correctly if Alford got another job, the money at that job they would subtract from what they owe him. However i still think he will just fine on his salary lol

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I think Russell Turner was called, but not sure he was interested. His team is coming back and he has visions of P6 paydays dancing in his head.

From what I have heard, he did interview for the job but I don't know how high he was on the list.

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Kudos to the win-win for both sides. If he does exceedingly well, I would expect him to bounce back to a P5 school in Y4-Y5 with that buyout structure though.

My question to you is, conversely, if he shits the bed and hits a Dave Ricesque ceiling in three years while simultaneously pissing off the local media and pushing away recruits, how does Pack nation feel about a hypothetical where you would have to pay the dick $2 million (+ whatever remaining guaranteed salary there may be remaining on his contract) just to go away? Or - in the absence of a buyout - do you consider yourself stuck with him for a full decade come hell or high water?

Because there is a non-zero probability his Bobby Knight School of Surly Dick days of coaching will only become increasingly less relatable to the younger and forthcoming generation(s) of recruits. And if he does in fact under perform, the odds of someone paying that buyout will decrease commensurately.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

Kudos to the win-win for both sides. If he does exceedingly well, I would expect him to bounce back to a P5 school in Y4-Y5 with that buyout structure though.

My question to you is, conversely, if he shits the bed and hits a Dave Ricesque ceiling in three years while simultaneously pissing off the local media and pushing away recruits, how does Pack nation feel about a hypothetical where you would have to pay the dick $2 million (+ whatever remaining guaranteed salary there may be remaining on his contract) just to go away? Or - in the absence of a buyout - do you consider yourself stuck with him for a full decade come hell or high water?

Because there is a non-zero probability his Bobby Knight School of Surly Dick days of coaching will only become increasingly less relatable to the younger and forthcoming generation(s) of recruits. And if he does in fact under perform, the odds of someone paying that buyout will decrease commensurately.

I don’t know what the University’s buyout is.  The buyout we see there is only the employee side.  I’m going to assume it’s the remaining base salary over the term of the contract though.