Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

33 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Since this is almost all out anyway here’s what I’ve been told:

Salary: $1.1 - $1.3 million a year

10 year deal

$8 million buyout to start and drops from there

Told this is where he wants his last job to be (take that part with a grain of salt though). 

Regarding him wanting this to be his last job, Looking at the length of the contract and the buyout, that’s probably true. And that’s really good news for you guys. Either you have a good coach for a long time, or he wins so much with you guys that a power conference makes him an offer he can’t refuse. Win/win.

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

He coaches better than he recruits. He will have to rely on assistants for recruiting and he will need some good salesmen. Have to watch those hires to really grade how he will do on recruiting.

Like I said before, I'd give it a solid B+. He will have you guys in the mix each year. I would dispute mug's belief that this wouldn't be a stepping stone for him. His goal has and will always be Indiana. Not sure if he will ever be good enough to get there though.

I think we need a welfare check on UNM fans...

I wish that he had never left.

But...if true, I will welcome him back into the MW.

The conference will be better for it.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Well the message board rumor is wrong obviously.  So now they question becomes, do you want to get paid 2.6 million a year to do nothing and pay CA taxes on all of it or get paid 2.6 million for through April 2020 and not pay CA tax on all over it. Plus you get to coach.  From a tax perspective taking the Nevada job would save him probably 200k in CA taxes alone. 

Certified Public Asskicker

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Since this is almost all out anyway here’s what I’ve been told:

Salary: $1.1 - $1.3 million a year

10 year deal

$8 million buyout to start and drops from there

Told this is where he wants his last job to be (take that part with a grain of salt though). 

Bahaha....I distinctly remember the last time he signed a 10 year deal in this very conference. He promptly left 13 days after signing it.

I do agree that this hire ensures that UNR will have yet another asshole roaming the sidelines....very good for the rest of the conference wanting to maintain a measure of Pack hatred. It would have sucked if they hired a decent human being for a coach.

25 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Forgot about the tourney thing. Holy crap that guy whined relentlessly.

Musselman never whined! :whistle:

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

58 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I like the hire now that I've read a few things and see how fans from other schools feel about it.  

But to be honest, Alford was not even on my mental list of guys I hoped for.  But Knuth knows what he's doing and I trust his judgement.

I hope Alford goes after transfers but is also more aggressive in going after HS guys too.  The one thing he has that Muss doesn't is HS & AAU connections.

Alford always filled in well with transfers. Drew Gordon and JR Giddens come to mind.

5 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Bahaha....I distinctly remember the last time he signed a 10 year deal in this very conference. He promptly left 13 days after signing it.

I do agree that this hire ensures that UNR will have yet another asshole roaming the sidelines....very good for the rest of the conference wanting to maintain a measure of Pack hatred. It would have sucked if they hired a decent human being for a coach.

You are consistent with your unending bile towards anybody outside of Logan..

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

,Well Alford has shown he can win in the MWC and he still has recruiting connections in SoCal. Probably as good a hire as any out there. He should be able to keep the transfer guys around. I’m not sure where he got the asshole label. Whenever I’ve watched his team on TV he seems to relate to his players well. It could be he just didn’t get along with UCLA boosters who are true assholes. 

Anyway, if he is the guy, welcome coach Alford in your return to the MWC. Good to see the MWC schools bringing in some good coaches. 

He EARNED that label, because he IS an asshole. But he can coach, if it isn't in the NCAA tournament.

51 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Congrats on the hire. This makes me wonder why UNLV didn't give him a look, but it's spilt milk now...

He knows he is hated here, because see above, lol.

33 minutes ago, bigd said:

If we can get Grace as an assistant I will be ecstatic. He even would've been a good choice as HC. 

Ha, he fired Grace. Not happening.

It occurred to me that a couple of teams, including UNR, Fresno, and maybe Boise? weren't in the conference long enough to know how he was when he was at UNM. To put it in reference, I'll tell you what cofield said today.. Musselman wasn't liked here because he was annoying, but nobody really hated him. But Alford? That's an entirely new level of A-hole-ness, lol. Nobody liked him (except lobo fans). You think Cronin whines? he's an ameteur compared to Alford when things don't go his way, but when they do, they can only compare his arrogance to...well, Alford.