Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

I could be wrong, but this seems like another Matta situation.

Ding ding ding!!!  Would anyone on this board forfeit $3.6M for a job in which they could get the same amount of money for doing nothing? The only way I see this working is if Nevada agrees to a contract with him and agrees to make him whole on the buyout.

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

I could be wrong, but this seems like another Matta situation.

But at least everyone would have been happy with TM.  

Alford, not so much.  But if he really is the guy, we could have done a lot worse. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

46 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Shouldn't you be busy playing with peoples rearend's and then over charging for your service?  

I’m retired from kiester fondling to fruit tree fondling. There is far less liability. I could change my handle to something like pear-shaped or apple-butt (keeping with the rear-end theme here just for you) but then it’d take me another umpty years to build up to the massive 736 posts I’m about to achieve on this forum. 

Just now, PojoPops said:

Ding ding ding!!!  Would anyone on this board forfeit $3.6M for a job in which they could get the same amount of money for doing nothing? The only way I see this working is if Nevada agrees to a contract with him and agrees to make him whole on the buyout.

Are you sure he forfeits anything?  I heard he got a lump sum and no strings attached. They wanted him gone, like yesterday.  But I never bothered to confirm if that's true or not.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

Per his contract Amendment 3 section 5.3 signed September 2017:

"University terminates without cause prior to April 30, 2019, the amount of $3,600,000,
paid in substantially equal monthly installments through April 30, 2021." 

And Alford would be subject to refund any money if he gets another job until April 30, 2021:

" 5.3.1.   Income from another Source. For sections 5.3.1. through 5.3.111: It is expressly understood by the parties hereto that any payments made to Coach as base salary under the provisions of Section 5.3 shall be reduced by any gross amounts to which Coach shall become entitled from all other sources of income, including University, as and for compensation for the rendition of services by Coach during the period of time in which Coach, pursuant to this Agreement, would have been employed by University if University had not so terminated this Agreement."

So the $3,600,000 is basically free money for doing nothing until April 30, 2021. 

nm

kat.jpg

5 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

5.3.1 is pretty clear to me.  He loses some or all of the buyout if he coaches before April 30th, 2021.

This is the most common scenario for these situations. If he was due $1.8 million/year from UCLA and Nevada pays him $1 million/year, UCLA would still be on the hook for $800k/year.

32 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

This year was probably a solid awakening on how tough those runs are...and how magical those seasons really are.

Alford should keep Reno in contention for MWC championships and at-large berths pending on other schools becoming better. (group effort sadly)

This hire is great.

Great for Reno.

Great for the conference.

Really great for the rivalry. UNLV already hates Alford.

I think this offseason so far is playing out nicely for both programs.

I wonder if Alford still has the same recruiting connections he had at UNM, he really burned down alot of bridges after taking the UCLA job. His reputation is really poor after the incident with Will Brown/Emmanuel Negedu (where he basically kicked Brown off the team to make room for Negedu) and then the aforementioned issue with Tony Snell's mom. All that aside, he's still a really good coach. It will be great for UNLV/UNR rivalry since he is one of those prick coaches you love to hate. Robert Smith hates his guts because he revoked his son's scholarship as well to make room for a more touted recruit. (See a pattern here?)

I hope Alford raises the profile of the MWC more than the last time he was here....because when he was the coach for UNM he really hurt the MWC's image with the Selection Committee...especially in regards to seeding. 

In 2010, UNM under Alford went to the Dance as a #3 seed, and went down to #11 seed Washington....Again in 2013, Alford got UNM a #3 seed to get embarrassed by #14 seed Harvard

I don't think the MWC has ever gotten such a favorable seeding in the Dance ever since. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

This is the most common scenario for these situations. If he was due $1.8 million/year from UCLA and Nevada pays him $1 million/year, UCLA would still be on the hook for $800k/year.

image.gif.4d19a383e1d17a4018322ef357f7fc90.gifimage.gif.211aed933d34d1afeba1daa9d10c92da.gifimage.gif.8e11c4616acbb17fe8f7fa2fa9369e61.gifYou are correct, but why would he do this?  Would you do that?

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Are you sure he forfeits anything?  I heard he got a lump sum and no strings attached. They wanted him gone, like yesterday.  But I never bothered to confirm if that's true or not.   

I posted the buyout language above.  Yes, I'm sure. 

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Maybe they agreed to have Alford not draw a salary like Carter did at St. Mary's but for two years. Then we'd pay him 1.8 mil in year 3 & 4. 

kat.jpg

According to the UCLA board they already settled so it won’t effect anything for him. But that’s just message board rumors. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

21 minutes ago, mugtang said:

According to the UCLA board they already settled so it won’t effect anything for him. But that’s just message board rumors. 

This article posts Alford's entire contract.  5.3.1 is in there talking about the terms should he become employed after the buyout: 

https://www.bruinsnation.com/fire-alford/2018/12/30/18161908/ucla-bruins-basketball-the-truth-about-the-steve-alford-buyout