Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

18 hours ago, westfan said:

If the ASU HC position actually opened, it would be comical if Mussleman pulled a Beard and left Arkansas.

I remember Todd Graham doing the same thing to get to ASU, just in FB. He went from Tulsa to Pitt for about a week, and then jumped ship to ASU. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Poster17 said:

So UNR fans...what are the names being tossed around for the job?  Haven't heard a lot, but I'd imagine they probably have a list as they knew Muss was going to be poached.

A couple of names I’ve heard are Russell Turner at UCI and Steve Alford.  But that’s it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, Poster17 said:

So UNR fans...what are the names being tossed around for the job?  Haven't heard a lot, but I'd imagine they probably have a list as they knew Muss was going to be poached.

Pitino, Matta, Theus...

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Murray doesn’t think Drew will transfer.  My guess is Brown stays (depending on who we hire) as he would have to sit out a year and that means he’s not in the NBA for two years.  No clue on Jazz 

Lindsey and Brown would be a good foundation. I love Jazz, hope he sticks around.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

32 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I remember Todd Graham doing the same thing to get to ASU, just in FB. He went from Tulsa to Pitt for about a week, and then jumped ship to ASU. 

It's not a huge difference but Graham actually coached an entire season at Pitt and nobody can be blamed for wanting to get out of Tulsa ASAP.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Y’all are going to continue to be our bitches for awhile. That’s all I know :cheer:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, bigd said:

Anonymous rumor on the Nevada board that it will be Alford. I'd be pretty happy if thats the case.

Alford after Muss would be a fantastic hire. If you hire Alford, UNR will have shown itself to be a program that is making the investments to be a tournament eligible team year in and year out. The big three will be forced to add a 4th member to the club. The ceremony will be held at the SLC airport next to the Cinnabon in terminal 2.

Just now, toonkee said:

Alford after Muss would be a fantastic hire. If you hire Alford, UNR will have shown itself to be a program that is making the investments to be a tournament eligible team year in and year out. The big three will be forced to add a 4th member to the club. The ceremony will be held at the SLC airport next to the Cinnabon in terminal 2.

Agreed.  Now if the MW didn't botch the Gonzaga move to the conference we would all be feeling pretty good about the future of this league.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

What happened to the Denver airport? Have we fallen so far?

7 minutes ago, bigd said:

Anonymous rumor on the Nevada board that it will be Alford. I'd be pretty happy if thats the case.

I'd rather go in another direction, but the guy can recruit.  He's not a good x & o coach, IMO.  Not horrible, but he gets beat too often by teams with far less talent.  Plus he'd bolt at the first opportunity. 

Even though it would be a "safe" hire, I hope it's just a rumor.  I think we can do better and save some money in the process.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

I have somewhat mixed feeling about Alford. He did great in conference, but had trouble in the Dance at UNM. Talent carried him at UCLA. I like that he runs a balanced system with really good defense, and by all accounts he's a good X's and O's guy, but will be interested to see what kind of assistants he could get at UNR. All else being equal, recruiting is the key. He was able to land some good ones at UNM so one would hope he could do the same at UNR. Maybe he could get Noodles back?

I would give an Alford hire a solid B+. Renoites will like that he's a complete asshole as well, so you will get a sense of continuity there. Hopefully the press is nice to him or he will blackball them lol.

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'd rather go in another direction, but the guy can recruit.  He's not a good x & o coach, IMO.  Not horrible, but he gets beat too often by teams with far less talent.  Plus he'd bolt at the first opportunity. 

Even though it would be a "safe" hire, I hope it's just a rumor.  I think we can do better and save some money in the process.  

I view him opposite. I think he's good X's and O's and has managed to surround himself with some really good recruiters as assistants.

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I view him opposite. I think he's good X's and O's and has managed to surround himself with some really good recruiters as assistants.

Did you see the Liberty game and some of the others he lost?  The guy got fired mid season for a reason.  But he also got them to some swt 16's, you could be right about him.

IMO, the eyeball test didn't look good for him.  His players seemed to have quit on him. 

To be fair, he may not be cut out for the external pressures that are so prevalent at UCLA.  Those clowns think a sweet 16 is under achieving. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama