Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You're sniffing paint.

We hold 11 conference basketball titles. You hold four.

We - along with Boise, Fresno, and CSU - all hold three FB conference titles. You hold none.

tl;dr: You couldn't hold our dick. GTFO.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

You do realize we’ve had similar success over the last 20 years as you have. 

Nevada: 9 outright or shared conference regular season titles, 7 tournament appearances, advanced to the 2nd round 4 times and the sweet 16 twice. 

SDSU:  6 outright or shared conference regular season titles, 9 tournament appearance, advanced to the 2nd round 4 times and the sweet 16 twice.  

So quit acting like you’re head and shoulders better than us and have that much more history than us.  Cause you don’t. 

See above 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You're sniffing paint.

We hold 11 conference basketball titles. You hold four.

We - along with Boise, Fresno, and CSU - all hold three FB conference titles. You hold none.

tl;dr: You couldn't hold our dick. GTFO.

i think he's going to say that he was referring to basketball success with a couple of different coaches.. which I would say, ' @renoskier, pick your poison', lol. Either he is referring to THEIR affiliation in the MW, (which they entered when Dave Carter was their coach), or pre MW... which will apply to everyone, and will not go well for him. :D

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I think he was saying you guys did it all with Fischer.  Nevada has had success and NCAA appearances with multiple coaches. 

Dutcher won the MGCT championship last year.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

13 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That doesn't have much to do with sales.

I've questioned him too. I question every coach. But results speak for themselves. The guy wins.

yeah, and the greater team of 2019, what does that speak? He lost that team. That is coaching. He won with 3 amazing players with chips on their shoulders, and then lost it in a crappy MW. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, all I'm saying is there are variables. I'm glad he is gone though. I think of him as a more charismatic Alford, yet Alford has been humbled, hopefully. Doubt it through. I feel muss knew his stock had fallen this year and he was going to find any p5 family that would buy his bs. IMHO

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

See above 

See below:

42 minutes ago, renoskier said:

We already knew winning was possible. 

Nevada has had more success than any team in the conference with multiple coaches. 

Than any team in the conference? The Mountain West conference? Yeah, no. :waiting:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

18 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

See below:

Than any team in the conference? The Mountain West conference? Yeah, no. :waiting:

Ok that’s a fair statement overall as we’ve been here 7 years with 2 coaches and one sucked. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Splashy hire on the relative cheap. Somebody is going to do it. Why not Nevada?

She's not interested in the college game.  Totally focused on the NBA.

34 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

yeah, and the greater team of 2019, what does that speak? He lost that team. That is coaching. He won with 3 amazing players with chips on their shoulders, and then lost it in a crappy MW. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, all I'm saying is there are variables. I'm glad he is gone though. I think of him as a more charismatic Alford, yet Alford has been humbled, hopefully. Doubt it through. I feel muss knew his stock had fallen this year and he was going to find any p5 family that would buy his bs. IMHO

You know… I can agree with this. During the Mountain West tournament and during the NCAA tournament he just looked tired. Like he was bored with Nevada. The energy and emotion that he usually showed was just not there and he would sit on the bench with his hand to his chin. I just had a feeling that he was ready to MoveOn.

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

That could be, but I know she had at least discussed the job with CSU. And she’s never said anything publicly that she’s not interested in college hoops. It would be worth reaching out to her, at the very least.

She did discuss the CSU job.  She expressed that her focus is on the NBA.

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Never believe a coach that says they love where they are at and have no intention of leaving. 

Never believe anything a coach says. That would be the simple thing. That is just overall most coaches, unless they are older and settled in, are always looking for that next job.  That is just the situation they are in.

2 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

I have heard from an odd—though reliable—source that neither Muss nor Gus Argenal seemed to have been planning to stick around after this season.  Now Muss is gone, and Argenal apparently interviewed with Idaho St.(?)

Yes he has interviewed for a couple of jobs. The favorite at Idaho St though is Division II coach from College of Southern Idaho.

3 hours ago, cardrater said:

You know… I can agree with this. During the Mountain West tournament and during the NCAA tournament he just looked tired. Like he was bored with Nevada. The energy and emotion that he usually showed was just not there and he would sit on the bench with his hand to his chin. I just had a feeling that he was ready to MoveOn.

Here’s the thing, it’s in his DNA to burn out on frustrations that don’t go away. An example would be sitting in an airport waiting for a commercial airline because it’s late, and he’d be thinking about how they could already be at their destination if they’d just taken a chartered flight. Or another example might be the way the AD does something that’s so fvcking annoying.

Every job has BS. But sometimes you’re willing to go somewhere else to escape the old BS, and trade it for some new BS. I think he’s that kind of guy, and has a job hopping resume to prove it. Any time you take a new job there’s real risk that it turns out to be different than how it was sold. 

I think he’ll at least be somewhat successful at AR,lin 3-5 years. Maybe it turns out to be a so-so fit and he’d be happy to come back to NV,  ya never know. He says the last 3.5 years have been the most fun he’s had in his entire coaching career. So you never know.

kat.jpg

It was a good run Reno 

Cherish the greatest moment your program will ever achieve and move on back to mediocrity 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Where are the day 2,3,4,5,6 threads?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.