Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I like it. Interesting pick that would generate a ton of pub for the MWC. 

Splashy hire on the relative cheap. Somebody is going to do it. Why not Nevada?

2 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Generate more buzz than even Muss did. 

Take away gender, and hiring a former star player and a Pop protege within our budget would be a no-brainer.

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m surprised CSU didn’t hire her. 

Me too. Whoever hires her, it will be a ballsy pick. Nobody knows how it will work. But Pau Gasol once said: 

“I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.”

That would be an intriguing hire.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Take away gender, and hiring a former star player and a Pop protege within our budget would be a no-brainer.

The CSU folks in the know around these parts have indicated she has no desire in coaching collegiately. 

I wonder how many pro assistants are in that boat. There’s gotta be a good chunk that would probably make terrific college coaches but don’t want the hassle of recruiting and glad-handing. They just want to coach basketball while making college head coach money to do just that and not deal with the extracurricular crap.

40 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

We should start a poll to guess who will be the next Pack coach. Only one guess per poster. Let’s see who can get it right. I’ll start. Chris Jans 

Get the thread rolling.

My guess? Russell Turner

Just now, 307dude said:

The CSU folks in the know around these parts have indicated she has no desire in coaching collegiately. 

I wonder how many pro assistants are in that boat. There’s gotta be a good chunk that would probably make terrific college coaches but don’t want the hassle of recruiting and glad-handing. They just want to coach basketball while making college head coach money to do just that and not deal with the extracurricular crap.

That could be, but I know she had at least discussed the job with CSU. And she’s never said anything publicly that she’s not interested in college hoops. It would be worth reaching out to her, at the very least.

2 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

I think the conference trolls are trying to get this past UNLV's 213 page thread. And they are stuck at 213! Losers. :P This has a chance. 

Aint getting to 213 pages. We don't have enough sci-fi novelist/basketball insiders or 7th degree friends of boosters who are in the know to turn a large enough rumor mill.

12 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That could be, but I know she had at least discussed the job with CSU. And she’s never said anything publicly that she’s not interested in college hoops. It would be worth reaching out to her, at the very least.

Agreed. I think it would be a fantastic hire. 

6 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Aint getting to 213 pages. We don't have enough sci-fi novelist/basketball insiders or 7th degree friends of boosters who are in the know to turn a large enough rumor mill.

well they just hit 214 anyway.