Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Hires Steve Alford!

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

We don't have a coach in waiting, and we don't have a program chasing ghosts or at the mercy of boosters. So if Muss leaves, we'll have an open search that will hopefully unearth a good one. Knuth has been good in this regard. And at the very least Trent is available!

It's been explained to me Knuth has someone in mind should Muss depart. Although only a second hand rumor my source indicated that announcement for a potential Muss replacement would occur within a weeks time. That's a fast timeline.  We shall see. But I'm with you, Nevada is a job where you can win and make the dance and have modest success. It will never be a destination job but there are fewer than 30 of those jobs in the country.  Most Unis are stepping stones of varying scales.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

It's been explained to me Knuth has someone in mind should Muss depart. Although only a second hand rumor my source indicated that announcement for a potential Muss replacement would occur within a weeks time. That's a fast timeline.  We shall see. But I'm with you, Nevada is a job where you can win and make the dance and have modest success. It will never be a designation job but then again there are fewer than 30 of those jobs in the country.

I haven't heard that, though it wouldn't surprise me. I have heard that Knuth has long viewed Muss as the guy who would revitalize the program but ultimately not be the guy who would be a long-term caretaker of the program. 

Just now, NVGiant said:

I haven't heard that, though it wouldn't surprise me. I have heard that Knuth has long viewed Muss as the guy who would revitalize the program but ultimately not be the guy who would be a long-term caretaker of the program. 

Which is good because given Muss' resume he's not a buy-and-hold kind of dude. He's moved around his whole career. Keeping him in Reno for 4 years is about the longest jobs he's had.  Knuth understands the game and that's about the best we can ask.  It's just unfortunate our school doesn't have any really rich benefactors like the Koch's at Wichita St or T Boone at Okie State.  

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

Which is good because given Muss' resume he's not a buy-and-hold kind of dude. He's moved around his whole career. Keeping him in Reno for 4 years is about the longest jobs he's had.  Knuth understands the game and that's about the best we can ask.  It's just unfortunate our school doesn't have any really rich benefactors like the Koch's at Wichita St or T Boone at Okie State.  

I still have faith that @mugtang is going to hit it big with this message board thing and be our Sugar Daddy.

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

I posted this in the other thread but there is some scuttlebutt that St. John's and Chris Mullin are in talks for Mullin to resign as head coach at St. John's to be replaced maybe by Hurley from Arizona St.

Someone already attached Muss's name to the ASU job.

However this guy on twitter Coach Scott whittle says that Arkansas and Muss are close to a deal.

St Johns must have some cash to do that. Hurley makes more than Mullins at ASU at 2.1 plus bonus. He really hasn't done much at ASU unless getting to the play-in game from a weak P5 conference counts. They must really like celebrity coaches.

7 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

It's been explained to me Knuth has someone in mind should Muss depart. Although only a second hand rumor my source indicated that announcement for a potential Muss replacement would occur within a weeks time. That's a fast timeline.  We shall see. But I'm with you, Nevada is a job where you can win and make the dance and have modest success. It will never be a destination job but there are fewer than 30 of those jobs in the country.  Most Unis are stepping stones of varying scales.

Actually that is pretty common. A few AD's at mid-majors have lists ready in case their coach heads off for another higher job. So I would imagine Knuth probably has a list as well, maybe updating at things going on so he can be prepared for when the time comes if Muss leaves. 

Beard is a Texas guy.  The thought down here is the only reason he would leave Tech is for UT...his alma mater.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, NMpackalum said:

St Johns must have some cash to do that. Hurley makes more than Mullins at ASU at 2.1 plus bonus. He really hasn't done much at ASU unless getting to the play-in game from a weak P5 conference counts. They must really like celebrity coaches.

From what I have heard, he has some connections in the New York area for recruiting, better connections than Mullins has in the area. However to me, the news about St. John's came out of Leftfield for me even though this was the first real year Mullins has had success there.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I still have faith that @mugtang is going to hit it big with this message board thing and be our Sugar Daddy.

I wish 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

From what I have heard, he has some connections in the New York area for recruiting, better connections than Mullins has in the area. However to me, the news about St. John's came out of Leftfield for me even though this was the first real year Mullins has had success there.

His Dad was a local NJ high school coaching legend. I'm not sure how well it translates to the modern recruiting world with the travel teams and all.

22 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

His Dad was a local NJ high school coaching legend. I'm not sure how well it translates to the modern recruiting world with the travel teams and all.

To me still out of left field especially just two weeks ago Mullin was talking about how he was looking forward to next year and such. I am wondering if something happened behind the scenes that kind of pushed this, you know if this is true.

7 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

So to recap: Musselman is not anyone's first choice among the schools that have an opening but Muss is flashing signs to all that will listen that he is definitely open to leaving Reno?

And you know this how?  Do you think if given the opportunity to triple his salary and leave Logan Utah you fine young coach would say no?  This is how these guys make their living..

13 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

So to recap: Musselman is not anyone's first choice among the schools that have an opening but Muss is flashing signs to all that will listen that he is definitely open to leaving Reno?

Muss keeps moving. This is actually the longest he has stayed at one place for coaching. He's not going to be #1 on the list for schools like UCLA, Kentucky or such. He will be on the list for some other schools however. If someone knocked on your door with a job offer for $2 or $3 million a year you would probably listen.