Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Mountain West exclusive negotiations with CBS

Preferred primary partner for Mountain West media rights  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which media partner do you prefer the Mountain West agree to a new media rights contract with ?

2. 2. How should the MW address 'tier 3' rights?

7 hours ago, Balzac said:

What makes Boise State worth such an inflated share?

- It’s Market?

- It’s Coach?

- On field performance?

- Novelty? (The blue field, etc)

- Relevance?

I don’t see how any of the above justifies taking more money from everyone’s pocket.

Since the last deal was negotiated, Boise lost their once-in-a-lifetime coach. Harsin is there now and he sucks. UCF has made them old news.

My point is, does everyone else in the conference need to paint their fields their team colors to get their money back??

I assume those original concessions were made in anticipation of Boise adding to the conference coffers with NY6 appearances, like Gonzaga has in NCAA credits for the WCC.

That hasn’t happened, my friends...

That hasn’t happened...

Balzac Out 

What's your deal ball sac?  You jump in on nearly every thread to disparage Boise.  If Boise sucks so bad and is now irrelevant why are you spending so much time posting about them?  Can't figure out why a Memphis fan gives a shit about Boise or the MWC...

2 hours ago, Broncos4Ever said:

What's your deal ball sac?  You jump in on nearly every thread to disparage Boise.  If Boise sucks so bad and is now irrelevant why are you spending so much time posting about them?  Can't figure out why a Memphis fan gives a shit about Boise or the MWC...

Well if you actually read the thread, I didn’t disparage Boise at all until I got the typical Boise fan reaction of “we are great and the rest of you should bow down to us”.

I have hated the term sheet from Day 1.  Not because I hated Boise but because I thought it was destructive.  Boise had valid points that they always ended up on CBS.  They had valid points that funding that should have gone to Pete and retaining his staff was being wasted on poor coaches elsewhere.   

The term sheet has multiple problems in my mind:

1) it misaligns the interests of Boise and the conference.  I have designed multiple incentive programs.   A cardinal rule is you don’t misalign incentives from the larger organization.

2) it supposedly would provide incentives for performance but was clear it never would.  

3) it reduces the total return by creating competitive packages to the MWC package and allowed ESPN to low ball the MWC.   

What I have said is streaming provides a potential alternative that may provide the 10 members with greater return than cable.   As I said originally, the incentives for Boise and the other 10 are mis-aligned.  Boise may have to make a decision.   We shall see.  

What I hopes happens is we find a solution that addresses Boise’s original concerns in a way that solves them for all teams.  We need a revenue plan that really rewards performance and allows top teams to reward coaches in Football and Basketball.  Fresno has lost a coordinator each season.  We have the same problems.   Utah State has lost top coaches.  Nevada is at risk of losing Muss.   To compete with the AAC, we need to reward top coaches and maximize revenue across the conference.   

I liked the Facebook games.

I hope we get to a point where all MWC games are streamed so I can cut the cord

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Well if you actually read the thread, I didn’t disparage Boise at all until I got the typical Boise fan reaction of “we are great and the rest of you should bow down to us”.

I have hated the term sheet from Day 1.  Not because I hated Boise but because I thought it was destructive.  Boise had valid points that they always ended up on CBS.  They had valid points that funding that should have gone to Pete and retaining his staff was being wasted on poor coaches elsewhere.   

The term sheet has multiple problems in my mind:

1) it misaligns the interests of Boise and the conference.  I have designed multiple incentive programs.   A cardinal rule is you don’t misalign incentives from the larger organization.

2) it supposedly would provide incentives for performance but was clear it never would.  

3) it reduces the total return by creating competitive packages to the MWC package and allowed ESPN to low ball the MWC.   

What I have said is streaming provides a potential alternative that may provide the 10 members with greater return than cable.   As I said originally, the incentives for Boise and the other 10 are mis-aligned.  Boise may have to make a decision.   We shall see.  

What I hopes happens is we find a solution that addresses Boise’s original concerns in a way that solves them for all teams.  We need a revenue plan that really rewards performance and allows top teams to reward coaches in Football and Basketball.  Fresno has lost a coordinator each season.  We have the same problems.   Utah State has lost top coaches.  Nevada is at risk of losing Muss.   To compete with the AAC, we need to reward top coaches and maximize revenue across the conference.   

I don’t think he was talking about you.   Anyway would be interesting to have the schools sell their rights individually.   Contribute the same to the conference at the same levels as today and keep any extra.   Each school could truly then get their worth and choose the best package for their situation and fans.  Suds could get on fox again.  Fresno could stream as many games on Facebook as they want if they feel that’s best.  Win/win 

Posted Image

12 hours ago, No_dogs_down said:

You probably haven’t heard, but there is a new sheriff in the conference and we’re not giving up our badge anytime soon.  🥇

Very much enjoying having Fresno State back at top form. The more strong teams the better. Hoping Rocky's new Offense gets them back up to challenging for Conference Titles as well. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

5 hours ago, edluvar said:

I don’t think he was talking about you.   Anyway would be interesting to have the schools sell their rights individually.   Contribute the same to the conference at the same levels as today and keep any extra.   Each school could truly then get their worth and choose the best package for their situation and fans.  Suds could get on fox again.  Fresno could stream as many games on Facebook as they want if they feel that’s best.  Win/win 

He said specifically what is your issue Sac... so I responded.   Your idea is interesting.  I do think teams should have their tier 3 rights but that must be paired with a maximum number of home games broadcast so you don’t have tier 1 broadcasting 6 Boise home games and Wyoming having 6 games in tier 3.   

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

He said specifically what is your issue Sac... so I responded.   Your idea is interesting.  I do think teams should have their tier 3 rights but that must be paired with a maximum number of home games broadcast so you don’t have tier 1 broadcasting 6 Boise home games and Wyoming having 6 games in tier 3.   

Bal sac.   Memphis fan.  

Posted Image

14 minutes ago, edluvar said:

Bal sac.   Memphis fan.  

Yeah, he has a hard on for Boise State and the term sheet, that no one can figure out.  Unless, he's butt hurt that his team will never get the honor to play on the historical & beautiful football field, know as The Blue!!!

down in a hole.jpg

Semi-related (or not)....Big 12 and Big East just announced next year's schedule for their previously announced Challenge.

D3UYDU0W0AAUx_c.jpg

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Data from Sports Media Watch telecast under MWC contract and BYU contract.  Ratings are generally not available for CBSSN, ESPNU, and ESPNews telecasts.

MOUTAIN WEST CONFERENCE:

8/25, Saturday:  Wyoming @NM, 464K, ESPN2

9/8, Saturday:  UConn @Boise State, 233K, ESPNU, ESPN2

9/22, Saturday:  AFA @Utah State, 277K, ESPN2

10/6, Saturday:  SDSU @Boise State, 269K, ESPNU

10/13, Saturday:  Wyoming @Fresno State, 128K, ESPNU

10/19, Friday: Colorado State @Boise State, 420K, ESPN2

10/27, Saturday:  Hawaii @Fresno State, 197K, ESPN2

11/3, Saturday:  BYU @Boise State, 470K, ESPN2

11/10, Saturday:  UNLV @SDSU, 415K, ESPN2

11/19, Friday, Fresno State @Boise State, 819K, ESPN2

Championship Game, 12/1, Saturday:  Fresno State @Boise State, 1.036M, ESPN

BRIGHAM YOUNG:

9/8, Saturday:  California @BYU, 586K, ESPN2

10/5, Friday:  Utah State @BYU, 617K, ESPN2

10/13, Saturday:  Hawaii @BYU, 646K, ESPN2

11/17, Saturday  NM State @BYU, 295K, ESPN2

AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE:  One can readily see why AAC Commissioner Aresco is so high on those Thursday and Friday ESPN games.

8/30, Thursday: UCF @UConn, 444K, ESPNU

9/7, Friday:  TCU @SMU, 1.076M, ESPN2

9/20, Thursday:  Tulsa @Temple, 728K, ESPN

9/28, Friday:  Memphis @Tulane, 738K, ESPN2

10/4, Thursday:  Tulsa @Houston, 562K, ESPN

10/12, Friday:  USF @Tulsa, 1.17M, ESPN

10/20, Saturday:  UCF @ECU, 486K, ESPN2

11/1, Thursday:  Temple @UCF, 1.191M, ESPN

11/10, Saturday:  Navy @UCF, 385K, ESPN2

11/15, Thursday:  Tulane @Houston, 378K, ESPN

11/16, Friday:  Memphis @SMU, 623K ESPN2

11/23, Friday:  UCF @USF, 1.741M, ESPN

Championship Game, 12/1, Saturday:  Memphis @UCF, 3.321M, ABC

As a Tulsa fan, i would like to point out that Tulsa was involved, in the 3rd, 6th, and 8th highest viewership, excluding the conference championship game.  Tulsa's viewership in the three games it was involved with averaged 820K.  The average viewership for the other 9 AAC conference games excluding the championship game was 785K.  Tulsa came within 22,000 of having the second highest viewership for a conference game. Not bad for a pizz ant sized school.  My guess is lots of OU Sooner fans and Oklahoma State Cowboys fans also watch Tulsa on those Thursday and Friiday night games. 

Guest #1Stunner
15 hours ago, Broncos4Ever said:

3 hours ago, Broncomare said:

Yeah, he has a hard on for Boise State and the term sheet, that no one can figure out.  Unless, he's butt hurt that his team will never get the honor to play on the historical & beautiful football field, know as The Blue!!!

Per Mug

@Balzac is an AAC fan that has been banned on here many times already.

He is also known as @FormerFrog and @Gabe H. Cuod and @ProprietyofLeyluken

He probably feels threatened by Boise State being the best G5 school in football over the past 15 years.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Per Mug ME

@Balzac is a n AAC fan TOTAL LOSER that has been banned on here many times already.

He is also known as @FormerFrog and @Gabe H. Cuod and @ProprietyofLeyluken

He probably feels threatened by Boise State being the best G5 school in football over the past 15 years. STILL LIVES IN  HIS PARENTS' BASEMENT.

Boom goes the dynamite.

52 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Data from Sports Media Watch telecast under MWC contract and BYU contract.  Ratings are generally not available for CBSSN, ESPNU, and ESPNews telecasts.

MOUTAIN WEST CONFERENCE:

8/25, Saturday:  Wyoming @NM, 464K, ESPN2

9/8, Saturday:  UConn @Boise State, 233K, ESPNU, ESPN2

9/22, Saturday:  AFA @Utah State, 277K, ESPN2

10/6, Saturday:  SDSU @Boise State, 269K, ESPNU

10/13, Saturday:  Wyoming @Fresno State, 128K, ESPNU

10/19, Friday: Colorado State @Boise State, 420K, ESPN2

10/27, Saturday:  Hawaii @Fresno State, 197K, ESPN2

11/3, Saturday:  BYU @Boise State, 470K, ESPN2

11/19, Friday, Fresno State @Boise State, 819K, ESPN2

Championship Game, 12/1, Saturday:  Fresno State @Boise State, 1.036M, ESPN

BRIGHAM YOUNG:

9/8, Saturday:  California @BYU, 586K, ESPN2

10/5, Friday:  Utah State @BYU, 617K, ESPN2

10/13, Saturday:  Hawaii @BYU, 646K, ESPN2

11/17, Saturday  NM State @BYU, 295K, ESPN2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent info Tulsa.  Lots of banter about such TV audience #'s for BYU vs. MWC.   It is irksome that 2 of BYU's best viewership draws are vs. MWC schools that have strong BYU rivalries (USU & UHa). 

Serious Q -- how did BYU @ BSU draw only 470k viewers *when USU & UHa each drew 620k+) ???  Some glitch in the #'s there, or is that real???

BTW, I'm an OKC lad myself.

52 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

18 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Serious Q -- how did BYU @ BSU draw only 470k viewers *when USU & UHa each drew 620k+) ???  Some glitch in the #'s there, or is that real???

Start times and competition (or lack thereof) I would guess. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 4/2/2019 at 4:24 PM, Bruininthebay said:

The one Big 12 expansion scenario that could include the Aztecs is if Arizona State decides to become the #11 member of the Big 12 when BYU has already agreed to join the Big 12.  Along with @SleepingGiantsFan's point about CSU being added if BYU is already going,  San Diego > Tucson if you are already in Phoenix.  The Big 12 West would be ASU, BYU, CSU, SDSU, Texas Tech and TCU in that scenario.  Big 12 East would be Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Iowa State.

The Pac 12 is a total shit show right now.  I don't even no where to begin with what is so wrong about the idea of selling equity, the conference network, the conference administration or the current USC administration.  ASU might be the one school with a real alternative to the Pac 12 because both Texas and Oklahoma have lots of fans in the greater Phoenix metro area and the Sun Devils won't want to be stuck in the quagmire if it continues like this until 2025.

The Pac 12 would likely become the Pac 10 2.0.  I think that OSU won't be included in a  2.0 version of the Pac 10 conference so the Beavers would likely join the MW. Personally I'd like to see Hawaii' be the 10th Pac-10 2.0 rather than Washington State simply so that the conference name would be more apropos.  Wazzou in the MW would be great because Boise would likely have a very intense rivalry with them.

Alright BiBay... you are following a line of logic over yer last 3 posts, that is tooooooooo good to ever occur.  Just saying that type of clear logic rarely gets executed... yet still, if it did your moves would be the type of stuff that Jim Delaney (Satan himself) would do for the long-term benefit of the B10.  Too bad he's leaving... no I'm glad he's retiring as B10 Commish.

The ASU to B12 idea -- very logical... and a very compelling Division w/ tons of interesting rivals!   But what genius would ever jump in a Conference w/ UTx & their LHN??  So maybe after UTx goes Indy?  Will only happen if LHN eventually turns a profit (probably at a lower annual fee from ESPN of $6M/yr?).  

1 aside in your scenario... in what Universe would it ever make sense for Clemson to ever consider moving to the B12 & partnering w/ WVU?  Or to the SEC taking a Mizzou's place.  I'd suggest none.  Were I Clemson I'd not rock any boats.... and that would take alotta anger toward the ACC & cash to make me do something as drastic & potentially foolish as that!  The SEC would get their bidding in and they would surely win that war.  However, I think Clemson is smarter than they are starved for Cash.

Keep posting..... it's very good & well informed stuff.