Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Donny just threatened to close the US/Mexico border via Twitter

42 minutes ago, pokebball said:

You're free to send 'em a check.

I contributed just last week to the Catholic Relief Services, specifically for central america.

I'm sure you did and for that you deserve a :Clapping:

Yanking half a billion dollars out from under Neilsen just after she set in motion the mechanism to provide that money to the three countries is another example of the president's possible mental instability.

As to what to do about the "crisis" at the border - which people 1,000 miles away seem a lot more concerned about than those of us who are just 100 or so miles from it - in the short term, the tent city thing would work. In the long term, as I said once before, we need to help improve the economies and political structures of those countries. On the latter issue, tell their governments there is significant money to be had but only on the condition that new elections are held at the federal level which will be overseen by the United Nations for fairness. Regarding the economy, that the US will help there too provided that a certain percentage of any new businesses must be with US-based companies and that wage and hour, workers compensation and similar laws must be implemented.

How might that impact California agribusinesses? Well, Devin Nunes' supporters would go ballistic but phuck them. For one thing, California no longer has the requisite water to support agriculture to the degree it has the last century. Indeed, Central Valley farmers have pumped so much water out of local aquifers that area is going to become similar to various locations in Oklahoma where shale oil production has become an earthquake creator. And unlike Oklahoma, California has huge faults that could be triggered by such minor land movements.

Boom goes the dynamite.

32 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

As a I indicated above, the laws as written have created this mess. Asylum should be sought at the US embassy in their country not at our border. Anyone crossing our border illegally should be immediately apprehended and deported. People that come here illegally to have babies so they can be immediate citizens should not be allowed. All of these laws need to be changed by Congress.

I agree with you about the anchor babies. If it takes a constitutional amendment to change that, so be it but that would definitely help.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'm sure you did and for that you deserve a :Clapping:

Yanking half a billion dollars out from under Neilsen just after she set in motion the mechanism to provide that money to the three countries is another example of the president's possible mental instability.

As to what to do about the "crisis" at the border - which people 1,000 miles away seem a lot more concerned about than those of us who are just 100 or so miles from it - in the short term, the tent city thing would work. In the long term, as I said once before, we need to help improve the economies and political structures of those countries. On the latter issue, tell their governments there is significant money to be had but only on the condition that new elections are held at the federal level which will be overseen by the United Nations for fairness. Regarding the economy, that the US will help there too provided that a certain percentage of any new business will be with US-based companies and that wage and hour, workers compensation and similar laws are implemented.

How might that impact California agribusinesses? Well, Devin Nunes' supporters would go ballistic but phuck them. For one thing, California no longer has the requisite water to support agriculture to the degree it has the last century. Indeed, Central Valley farmers have pumped so much water out of local aquifers that area is going to become similar to various locations in Oklahoma where shale oil production has become an earthquake danger. And unlike Oklahoma, California has huge faults that could be triggered by such minor land movements.

There's a boatload of issues in your post, many of which have existed for years.  Some of the solutions you offer have been tried before.  The level of corruption in central america isn't going to be solved and/overcome for decades, even with the most focused help the UN, US or any other govt could provide.

The new caravans to the border have to be organized and financed by someone, right?  I have a hard time believing it's organic.  I'm not implying anything or anyone because I have little idea to whom the value might vest. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

9 hours ago, retrofade said:

I obviously paraphrased, but "perfect Border Security" seems to imply that he means "exactly what he wants" for the border.

We also have these...

There are a lot more like that, but I think you get the picture. That's not even getting into all of the video clips of him saying very similar things. 

Any comment here @pokebball? Or are you going to pull your normal intellectual cowardice act?

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I agree, you obviously paraphrased, and poorly paraphrased at that.

So words don't mean anything, right? He said that he'll only sign bills that he agrees with, and he's set forward what he would agree with --- which was the Grassley bill in the last Congress, which was also a carbon copy of his own immigration proposals. Try again, son. I wouldn't want you as my CPA with the way that you casually determine what words mean.

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

So words don't mean anything, right? He said that he'll only sign bills that he agrees with, and he's set forward what he would agree with --- which was the Grassley bill in the last Congress, which was also a carbon copy of his own immigration proposals. Try again, son. I wouldn't want you as my CPA with the way that you casually determine what words mean.

You think your lies mean more than Trumps?  Really?

I'm not taking on any more clients so a win-win

The World Needs More Cowboys!

13 hours ago, pokebball said:

You think your lies mean more than Trumps?  Really?

I'm not taking on any more clients so a win-win

Please tell me what I lied about in this discussion... I'd love to hear it. If you'd like, I can go and pull direct quotes on video for you to review, you intellectually dishonest Trump supporter in denial. 

Mexico gets a one year warning now.

President Trump on Thursday backed down from his threat to close the southern border immediately, telling reporters at the White House that he is giving Mexico a “one-year warning” before taking action.

Trump had said he would close the border, or at least large sections of it, this week if Mexico does not halt illegal immigration into the United States.

But in Thursday’s exchange with reporters, Trump shifted gears, saying that if Mexico does not make progress on stemming the flow of drugs and migrants into the United States within the next year, he will impose tariffs on cars and close the border.

“We’re going to give them a one-year warning, and if the drugs don’t stop or largely stop, we’re going to put tariffs on Mexico and products, particularly cars . . . And if that doesn’t stop the drugs, we close the border,” Trump said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-backs-off-threat-to-close-southern-border-immediately-says-hell-give-mexico-one-year-warning-on-drugs-migrants/2019/04/04/5fd35dfa-56f6-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html

54 minutes ago, retrofade said:

LOL.  What a homer.  Yes, Mexico, who has the battled the most powerful cartels in the world, is going to stop the drugs.  

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Maybe we should clear San Diego of Americans and let it be called little Honduras. 

One of the best cities in America, the largest military presence, and for the state of CA, a moderate city.  And you want to suggest abandoning it?  What in the progressive-+++++ is this statement?  :rotflmfao:

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

So what do we do with them and not provide incentive for a lot more of their countrymen to make the journey north? 

One thing we shouldn't do is stop spending aid on them. Especially when it seems to be working like in El Salvador's case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-officials-said-aid-to-el-salvador-helped-slow-migration-now-trump-is-canceling-it/2019/04/01/5a8ca570-540a-11e9-aa83-504f086bf5d6_story.html?utm_term=.13f04b8bac83

13 minutes ago, RamSack said:

It's such a crisis that now he's going to wait a year?  LOL.

Here's the really funny thing... I think this decision might technically invalidate his national emergency declaration.