Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Among the 276 D-I players who attempted at least 200 jump shots last year, David Jenkins ranked first in the nation by making 47.7 percent. He ranked third in efficiency, averaging 1.298 points per possession on those plays. He's got a strong case for best shooter in the country.

From Mike Grimala

Also it's one thing if most of these others don't pan out. Gonzaga, Oregon and others weren't recruiting Jonah Antonio, Moses Wood and Elijah whatever...

They were recruiting Jenkins. Dude went from zero to baller at SDST. I'm not worried about him in MWC territory.

The guys 3pt shooting percentages and uncontested shot numbers are the stuff of lore. 

But their schedule was beyond cupcake. The two decent teams they played he was severely limited 6-16/3-10 from 3 and 2-9/1-4 from 3 against reno and texas. Stats also seem to suggest ball security issues with lots of 4 and 5 turnover games vs bad teams. Kris Clyburn was much more secure with the ball while UNLV played a much tougher schedule. And its not even remotely close.

As a savior and best player I dont see it working. If hes a part of a strong team he could be lethal as a shooter and a major piece.

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Among the 276 D-I players who attempted at least 200 jump shots last year, David Jenkins ranked first in the nation by making 47.7 percent. He ranked third in efficiency, averaging 1.298 points per possession on those plays. He's got a strong case for best shooter in the country.

From Mike Grimala

Also it's one thing if most of these others don't pan out. Gonzaga, Oregon and others weren't recruiting Jonah Antonio, Moses Wood and Elijah whatever...

They were recruiting Jenkins. Dude went from zero to baller at SDST. I'm not worried about him in MWC territory.

Not sure why you quoted me and not the guy who was skeptical about Jenkins,  are you agreeing with me? Jenkins is a phenomenal shooter and dropped 35 on Memphis.

17 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Not sure why you quoted me and not the guy who was skeptical about Jenkins,  are you agreeing with me? Jenkins is a phenomenal shooter and dropped 35 on Memphis.

Hes clearly an above average shooter, but saying memphis was defensively challenged is being kind.

Basically a .500 team all year. 

Still true Jenkins lit them up. He also put 32 on colo st, but they were terrible.

But 35 points on 17 shots is impressive at every level of basketball and he did it a few times.

2 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I was backing your point. Many "scrubs" do very well at small schools and continue to get better as they get older and more experience.

Brandon Clarke did 2 years at SJSU....After sitting out a year, last season he was the 5th best player rated on Kenpom in the entire country. Carried Gonzaga in quite a few games.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

The guys 3pt shooting percentages and uncontested shot numbers are the stuff of lore. 

But their schedule was beyond cupcake. The two decent teams they played he was severely limited 6-16/3-10 from 3 and 2-9/1-4 from 3 against reno and texas. Stats also seem to suggest ball security issues with lots of 4 and 5 turnover games vs bad teams. Kris Clyburn was much more secure with the ball while UNLV played a much tougher schedule. And its not even remotely close.

As a savior and best player I dont see it working. If hes a part of a strong team he could be lethal as a shooter and a major piece.

Point is that he made those shots. He did it well and is a true scorer in all forms. He did it all under the Coach he is playing for again too.

19 points is severely limited? 50% on 2's and 4-4 at the FT line.

He did have a down game against Reno, but he also dominated Memphis. (I know you said they're challenged defensively; They rank 54th and also 59th on 3pt%, but yes terrible?)(Also apparently 21-13 is basically .500 all year?)

Stats don't say any of that...
Clyburn had 16% Turnover rate. Jenkins was 17%.  "Much more secure" 

Deshon Taylor and Vance Jackson who had similar possession numbers were sitting at 18% and 19% while dropping 15-30+ points on a usual basis.

Hardy will have 3 years of starting and time alongside Jenkins. Diong will be a senior. Few others like Hamilton will be upperclassmen with experience. Other newcomers will have a year under their belt. Quite a few set pieces will be in place alongside anyone who steps up this next season.

Nobody is asking Jenkins to come in and shoot the ball 35 times while everyone else hugs the lines...

Again. Gonzaga and Oregon were recruiting him for a reason. As was the countless other big name schools he cut out before taking visits. It's fine to be skeptical, but Jenkins is the least of UNLV fans worries on who is gonna step up. We have about 3-4 other commits that 6 years ago we'd assume they'd get walk on minutes until they graduate.

3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Point is that he made those shots. He did it well and is a true scorer in all forms. He did it all under the Coach he is playing for again too.

19 points is severely limited? 50% on 2's and 4-4 at the FT line.

He did have a down game against Reno, but he also dominated Memphis. (I know you said they're challenged defensively; They rank 54th and also 59th on 3pt%, but yes terrible?)(Also apparently 21-13 is basically .500 all year?)

Stats don't say any of that...
Clyburn had 16% Turnover rate. Jenkins was 17%.  "Much more secure" 

Deshon Taylor and Vance Jackson who had similar possession numbers were sitting at 18% and 19% while dropping 15-30+ points on a usual basis.

Hardy will have 3 years of starting and time alongside Jenkins. Diong will be a senior. Few others like Hamilton will be upperclassmen with experience. Other newcomers will have a year under their belt. Quite a few set pieces will be in place alongside anyone who steps up this next season.

Nobody is asking Jenkins to come in and shoot the ball 35 times while everyone else hugs the lines...

Again. Gonzaga and Oregon were recruiting him for a reason. As was the countless other big name schools he cut out before taking visits. It's fine to be skeptical, but Jenkins is the least of UNLV fans worries on who is gonna step up. We have about 3-4 other commits that 6 years ago we'd assume they'd get walk on minutes until they graduate.

Gonzaga thought he was good, but its been reported that the zags pulled their offer, so maybe between unlv and oregon. Its said he wasnt deemed as a must get. Zags felt they could do better. Thats exactly how it played out.

Also, the point is not that he made the shots, thats just what your overwhelming pollyanna positivity is allowing you to see.

The point is that the shots took place versus the 268th strongest schedule and defenses in the 27th or worse conference. Claiming the numbers are apples to apples comparable is as inaccurate as inaccurate could be, but nice stats nonetheless.

If you look at individual game logs and overall assist to turnover ratio, its pretty easy to see all of the 5, 6 and 8 turnover games versus very few games with more than 1 or 2 assists. 

His highest percentages were against bad teams. Versus the few good teams they played his shots taken and percentage made drops dramatically. Its obvious why, good teams allow fewer open shots, youre open for a shorter time and the length is usually more in your face. 

The stats say shaky ball security and piling up stats vs cellar dwellars. Im fine with it. MWC has a few of those, and hes a nice piece for sure. But im hoping hes a piece, not the centerpiece. He was 2nd fiddle to Daum and it wasnt enough at sdsu. So more will definitely be needed here.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Yeah, love how zags fans said they pulled his offer AFTER he committed to UNLV.

Now watch Nix come to Vegas, lol. 

No. Really? A poster came here a week ago and posted it.

Nix would be great.

Even though im being critical, obviously this is a big signing. But I hope Totz lands another impact guy with that last ride. It will change the conversation.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Also, the point is not that he made the shots, thats just what your overwhelming pollyanna positivity is allowing you to see.

Typical, every time someone disagrees they get insulted. I don’t know why they even engage you when you always turn it into a pissing contest. 

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Yeah, love how zags fans said they pulled his offer AFTER he committed to UNLV.

Now watch Nix come to Vegas, lol. 

Gonzaga ain’t “passing” on a proven 20 ppg  scorer that made over a hundred 3’s at a 45% clip, for an unproven”high profile” recruit. Haha, what’d they just figure on that strategy when he was in his official there? C’mon. Anyone that believes that, well....

8 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

I was backing your point. Many "scrubs" do very well at small schools and continue to get better as they get older and more experience.

Brandon Clarke did 2 years at SJSU....After sitting out a year, last season he was the 5th best player rated on Kenpom in the entire country. Carried Gonzaga in quite a few games.

Ah, gotcha. Wasn't sure. My bad. 

1 hour ago, Boobie James said:

Gonzaga ain’t “passing” on a proven 20 ppg  scorer that made over a hundred 3’s at a 45% clip, for an unproven”high profile” recruit. Haha, what’d they just figure on that strategy when he was in his official there? C’mon. Anyone that believes that, well....

He visited the same time that Admon Gilder did, at the time we thought that he would get a waiver for 2019, both supposedly committed but when we found out that he won't be available until 2020, we backed off. I couldn't care less if you don't believe me, but I heard it straight from a very high ranking Zags insider. 

He visited the same time that Admon Gilder did, at the time we thought that he would get a waiver for 2019, both supposedly committed but when we found out that he won't be available until 2020, we backed off. I couldn't care less if you don't believe me, but I heard it straight from a very high ranking Zags insider. 

“High ranking insiders” are wrong, misinformed,  and biased all the time. This is a situation where the basic facts are all you need to know. I will leave a 5% probability that Gonzaga coaches simply lost their ever lovin’ minds and turned Jenkins down for the (chance?) at some high profile recruit. A temporary case of 5 star fever?

Not. Very. Likely.

Definitely not the Zags MO, as well as it would be a huge gamble that’s a long shot to pay off. Kinda like playing Blackjack and you hit on your 20 cause you have a ‘really good feeling’ the next card is an Ace.

I think something probably went down on Gonzaga’s end.  It honestly doesn’t really matter bc he’s w UNLV now.  He can play at any level of college basketball.  I think he will compliment Amauri Hardy very well.

30 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I think something probably went down on Gonzaga’s end.  It honestly doesn’t really matter bc he’s w UNLV now.  He can play at any level of college basketball.  I think he will compliment Amauri Hardy very well.

I don’t know that anything went down at Gonzaga, I think he simply wanted to play for his former coach who happens to be at a place where there are great facilities, in the basketball hub..

Why would anyone think he would be available in 2019?  He opted for a transfer.  There were no special circumstances which would allow him to play in 2019.  No one in Las Vegas ever spoke of him getting a waiver.  Everyone in Rebel Land knew that he would be a 2020 guy.  Why would the Zags think otherwise?  

7 hours ago, qwelish said:

Gonzaga thought he was good, but its been reported that the zags pulled their offer, so maybe between unlv and oregon. Its said he wasnt deemed as a must get. Zags felt they could do better. Thats exactly how it played out.

The point is that the shots took place versus the 268th strongest schedule and defenses in the 27th or worse conference. Claiming the numbers are apples to apples comparable is as inaccurate as inaccurate could be, but nice stats nonetheless.

If you look at individual game logs and overall assist to turnover ratio, its pretty easy to see all of the 5, 6 and 8 turnover games versus very few games with more than 1 or 2 assists. 

His highest percentages were against bad teams. Versus the few good teams they played his shots taken and percentage made drops dramatically. Its obvious why, good teams allow fewer open shots, youre open for a shorter time and the length is usually more in your face. 

The stats say shaky ball security and piling up stats vs cellar dwellars. Im fine with it. MWC has a few of those, and hes a nice piece for sure. But im hoping hes a piece, not the centerpiece. He was 2nd fiddle to Daum and it wasnt enough at sdsu. So more will definitely be needed here.

Zags are a perennial Final 4 contender lately. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Really pointless discussion.

The point is the ball went in the basket. He's not moving to the ACC. He's moving to the MWC. Dude can score. Scorers score.

Once again the stats don't show shaky ball security. You look at sheer TO numbers which don't tell a complete story. He was a primary ball handler for SDST. His TO rate was better than Hardy and Robotham. Better than any starting guard on SDSU. Better than more guards than not in the MWC, while possessing the ball much more. I wouldn't claim he has great ball security, but to claim he has issues with ball security doesn't make sense either.

It's okay to be excited for a recruit. Nobody is claiming Final 4 runs. Nobody is saying he's gonna lead UNLV back to top of MWC. He's a great proven player on the D1 level. He's played for this coach and for UNLV to land him after how highly sought he was on the transfer market, it's a great pickup.

6 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I think he simply wanted to play for his former coach who happens to be at a place where there are great facilities, in the basketball hub..

Exactly this.  When he spoke of Totz driving 16 hours three weekends in a row to watch him play for one hour I knew then we had him.  You don't say stuff like that and not be speaking from the heart.

9 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Why would anyone think he would be available in 2019?  He opted for a transfer.  There were no special circumstances which would allow him to play in 2019.  No one in Las Vegas ever spoke of him getting a waiver.  Everyone in Rebel Land knew that he would be a 2020 guy.  Why would the Zags think otherwise?  

Because his coach left; see Tate Martell as exhibit A. The NCAA is giving out waiver exemptions like ecstasy at a rave.