Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

17 hours ago, qwelish said:

I agree with everything except the argument that conference being down is relevant. Specifically because MM improved the mw record each year. From MM 1st year to his second the mwc improved, so the decline theory is literally false. UNLV still doubled its win total and improved its win total again the year after.

The quality of competition matters. That is why a top 5-6 finish in the Big 12 or Big 10 gets you an at large in the NCAA and the top 5-6 finish in the MWC starts your off season. As far as the improvement from season 1 to season 2, it was absolutely there. IMO, the improvement came from the fact that we we so awful in that first season. The talent level as way down and we did not have the depth to compete. Menzies won 8 games that second season, which you could argue was just Menzies getting back the level of Rice, who won 8 games his last two seasons.

17 hours ago, qwelish said:

So the argument that MM did not improve in conference is always numerically inaccurate.  People saying yeah but are making hypothetical arguments that MM only beat those teams because they were bad. Although they may be correct, the fact remains the games were won, not lost. I give credit, others dont want to. Agree to disagree.

I’m not sure what you mean by “numerically inaccurate,” but if the argument is that Menzies actually won more games then you are 100% correct. 8 is more than 4 and 11 is more than 8. You are also right that this is all speculative. Trying to pin point the reason or cause behind why Menzies improved is all guess work. IMO, even if you discount Menzies’ wins for decrease in the level of competition, he still deserves at least some of the credit.

Another "RUNNING".... Somebodies gotta talk to Otzelberger about that, seriously.

But he is making me look prophetic signing a point guard. Him being a grad transfer is just another step toward going all in on 2020.

UNLV has not had the best record with grad transfer players. I can only think of one who ended up being any good at all, Kevin Kruger. 

13 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Another "RUNNING".... Somebodies gotta talk to Otzelberger about that, seriously.

But he is making me look prophetic signing a point guard. Him being a grad transfer is just another step toward going all in on 2020.

UNLV has not had the best record with grad transfer players. I can only think of one who ended up being any good at all, Kevin Kruger. 

Hard to call him a point guard.  He’s more of a two.

25 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Hard to call him a point guard.  He’s more of a two.

Id call him a combo. He played point for st marys and backed up Ramey at Texas. 

I think Totz is hoping to get st marys EML and not UT 5 ppg EML.

25 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Woodbury has put himself in the transfer portal.. maybe he sees the writing in the wall?

Or maybe he goes to grand Canyon 

He was never going to play big minutes at UNLV.  I honestly didn’t see the physical talent.

Beck and Woodbury were both pushed into the portal. 

There was no writing on the wall. Sign four players, none local, get credit for recruiting locally. Makes sense. 

What im hoping this means is that 2020 class will be stacked and impactful. Four players will be out next year leaving only players Otz hand picked or rerecruited. 

Hopefully Totz is building a mwc championship, ncaa tournament roster. Hard to tell right now, but not overly impressive at the moment.

That is the difference between somebody that wants to play vs somebody that has resigned themselves to being a deep bench player. Those 3 guys you mentioned all have a possibility of playing more if for no other reason than they certainly couldn’t play any less.