Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

The thing is there are a lot of players in the portal and new ones entering daily. 

Should be able to snag a good JC or grad transfer if not too focused on 2020 / 21.. Totz can get away with a honeymoon this year. Even though thats not what was promised.

Hopefully he wants no part of that and moves aggressively to kill it right away. 

2 hours ago, Cheek Patch said:

We need some size for next year. I think all those still in the transfer portal are gonners 

I agree, if they were going to stay they'd have said so already.

3 hours ago, Cheek Patch said:

We need some size for next year. I think all those still in the transfer portal are gonners 

44 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I agree, if they were going to stay they'd have said so already.

Agree - think the longer they stay in the portal the better the odds they are gone, unless they get offers from smaller schools - Don't see why guys that got playing time at UNLV would want to transfer to a smaller program unless they were 100% in on Menzies -

Generally these transfers are smaller school players moving up (see UNR model) which basically gives under-recruited players a 2nd chance to get to bigger programs.........or they are guys at bigger programs who can't get enough playing time and look to move down where they can crack the rotation 

JTT going from the MWC to the B12 is a step up in conference, but he got playing time at UNLV, so I suppose he figures to get time at Baylor - Bet he gets a similar role at Baylor as he had at UNLV, a rebounder who gets 2nd chance points but isn't the focus of much - Though I did like JTT's potential to be a banger on the boards and interior defender.

TJO needs to get some size in here this year or it's going to be Menzies year one version 2.0 - that won't draw much in the way of attendance which I assume was one of the main reasons Menzies was shown the door - Guess TJO could go with small ball and bomb away from the arc and hope they hit a decent % to keep UNLV in games 

6 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

JTT and his 5 fouls per game average needed to go. 

It's hard to watch a 6'8 guy with a 38" vertical, a 7'3" wingspan, and a big motor walk out the door when we are left with the likes of Coupet, Djordjije, and Dembele staying.

JTT was just a freshman and doesn't have a lot of experience in 5-on-5 organized basketball.  He has potential.  If he reaches his potential he could remind some of.... Warren Rosegreen.

28 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

It's hard to watch a 6'8 guy with a 38" vertical, a 7'3" wingspan, and a big motor walk out the door when we are left with the likes of Coupet, Djordjije, and Dembele staying.

JTT was just a freshman and doesn't have a lot of experience in 5-on-5 organized basketball.  He has potential.  If he reaches his potential he could remind some of.... Warren Rosegreen.

Agree - Would rather have JTT over Dembele, Djordjie - He's got some potential

As for Rosegreen.......Warren is 6-3 6-4 in thick soled shoes..........if JTT is actually 6-8 he's got the bigger wingspan - but Rosegreen probably had the better vertical and a nose for getting rebounds 

16 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

JTT and his 5 fouls per game average needed to go. 

He was so strong under the basket, I think we will miss his strength, especially with who we have left. I also think he probably would have learned to stay out of foul trouble, but he really just might have felt he wouldn't fit into what TJ has in mind. We'll see, I guess.

10 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

That’s the problem, he’s got a few years of basketball experience. Doesn’t understand certain concepts or see how a play develops in front of him. As a result he’s overcompensating with his aggressiveness and fouls. He’s a liability, especially when it came to picking up a screen. That’s just basic basketball 101. 

Menzies was forced to play JTT and I think he did his best in terms of effort and was a rah rah guy on the sideline. He’s a 4 year project and transferring was probably best for him, he wasn’t a fit at UNLV. TJO’s offense may be too complicated for him to learn. 

He needs more time to develop. Sitting out a year and learning the nuances of the game should help. IMO he’s just going to be a bench, energy guy at Baylor. 

TJO is going after guys that have lived and breathed basketball since they were tykes. 

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

That’s the problem, he’s got a few years of basketball experience. Doesn’t understand certain concepts or see how a play develops in front of him. As a result he’s overcompensating with his aggressiveness and fouls. He’s a liability, especially when it came to picking up a screen. That’s just basic basketball 101. 

Menzies was forced to play JTT and I think he did his best in terms of effort and was a rah rah guy on the sideline. He’s a 4 year project and transferring was probably best for him, he wasn’t a fit at UNLV. TJO’s offense may be too complicated for him to learn. 

He needs more time to develop. Sitting out a year and learning the nuances of the game should help. IMO he’s just going to be a bench, energy guy at Baylor. 

TJO is going after guys that have lived and breathed basketball since they were tykes. 

As coaches they are teachers. Jtt improved probably the most of anyone throughout the year. Menzies had a track record of taking raw players just like Jtt and taking them to the ncaa's and nba.

So not sure why some here are so eager to lose good players. 

No one is going to admit that this is a mass exodus, was not what was promised and actually sucks?

:hmmm::captain::sorry:

8 minutes ago, qwelish said:

As coaches they are teachers. Jtt improved probably the most of anyone throughout the year. Menzies had a track record of taking raw players just like Jtt and taking them to the ncaa's and nba.

So not sure why some here are so eager to lose good players. 

No one is going to admit that this is a mass exodus, was not what was promised and actually sucks?

:hmmm::captain::sorry:

DRF & anyone with any small amount of sense had to know that cutting Menzies loose could lead to a lot of transfers out of UNLV - Now that it's done, we are pretty much left with the back half of Menzies roster and really nothing great incoming that is going to drive ticket sales in the coming season 

TJO has said all the right things & UNLV's hyped him way more than they ever did for Menzies..........but if this doesn't turn the corner in a couple of years, TJO's honeymoon could be short and become ugly pretty fast.

There's still time to try and land some players, but so far the recruiting has been average at best (if that) - Part of the future will be to see how TJO does with local recruits, but from this date (May 7 2109) this coming season is looking like bottom half to bottom 3rd MWC finish & not sure that step back in MWC play will excite recruits - Also, we still haven't seen TJO's "game" and how that sits with UNLV's fan base.

Just lots of questions and that's to be expected after a coaching change and when a relative unknown, untested new coach takes over. 

DRF is on the clock as much as TJO because she said a lot of things in her presser and thus far it's been pretty much ho-hum from what I've seen - Time will tell as always :shrug: