Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

It is becoming increasingly interesting what the changes in style is yielding for UNLV. He seems to be looking hard at the local talent 1st. He also seems to also embracing Las Vegas and our tradition as he promised at his presser. Kruger coming in looks to be a interesting move on several fronts. As a player Kevin was a very good floor general that lead our last Sweet 16 team. He could be a very enthusiastic coach with good ability. 

It also looks like Otz will retain most of the existing players at this time. Most have or are expected to remove their names from the portal. Ntambwe and Juiston are both probably gone. Otz seems to be filling in the gaps early on though so this HC transition doesn't seem to be headed for a total collapse like the last time. I'm already ready to get back to watching Runnin' Rebel basketball, especially since I feel like last year wasn't worth watching or getting excited about. 

22 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

It is becoming increasingly interesting what the changes in style is yielding for UNLV. He seems to be looking hard at the local talent 1st. He also seems to also embracing Las Vegas and our tradition as he promised at his presser. Kruger coming in looks to be a interesting move on several fronts. As a player Kevin was a very good floor general that lead our last Sweet 16 team. He could be a very enthusiastic coach with good ability.

It's all easy to see though.

He hit all the right spots for UNLV fans. We love to blow our loads on trigger words.

"National Championship" "UNR" "Kruger" "Local Talent" "Reaching out to alumni" "Flagship" "Shooting 3's" "Winning Culture"

We eat this shit up in the offseason.

It's all exciting and stuff, but I know damn well how fast this fan base turns by NFR time. Otz will be no different.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

26 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

It also looks like Otz will retain most of the existing players at this time. Most have or are expected to remove their names from the portal. Ntambwe and Juiston are both probably gone. Otz seems to be filling in the gaps early on though so this HC transition doesn't seem to be headed for a total collapse like the last time. I'm already ready to get back to watching Runnin' Rebel basketball, especially since I feel like last year wasn't worth watching or getting excited about. 

Like the focus on the local talent - If TJO can keep most of the locala talent home, that would be huge - There's enough talent coming out of the LV area anymore to keep the Rebels near the top of the MWC if there's other key additions 

With the 2 local prep schools in the area we see a plethora of top talent and they see UNLV. The only problem in the recent past is that there really wasn't much to see in the T&M. We have lost near as much as we've won and the results have been somewhat predictable except for when we have lost to lesser schools or got blowout by our normal competition. Someday someone will get the T&M rockin' again and when that day comes the local highly ranked kids will have something to pay attention to again. 

17 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

It's all easy to see though.

He hit all the right spots for UNLV fans. We love to blow our loads on trigger words.

"National Championship" "UNR" "Kruger" "Local Talent" "Reaching out to alumni" "Flagship" "Shooting 3's" "Winning Culture"

We eat this shit up in the offseason.

It's all exciting and stuff, but I know damn well how fast this fan base turns by NFR time. Otz will be no different.

The honeymoon is short for sure in Vegas. But adding Kruger and targeting locals will buy him a little longer than if he didn't do that.

I think it’s rather smart for a new coach to come into a community that has been disillusioned by their sports program and then tried to generate support and excitement by pushing those hot buttons. 

I remember the days when the T&M was an unfair home court advantage because of the crowd packing every seat. Setting a priority to  reestablish that environment is very smart.  

Serious question here @ph90702   

I haven’t been on my phone lately.  What happened with the whole pay to play at Unlv / Nike 

Has there been any local talk about self reporting and losing scholarships?   

Did Menzies cheat his way to .500?  Imagine if he was clean.   He might of won .300 percent of his games.  Not good.  Not good. 

39 minutes ago, slappy said:

Serious question here @ph90702   

I haven’t been on my phone lately.  What happened with the whole pay to play at Unlv / Nike 

Has there been any local talk about self reporting and losing scholarships?   

Did Menzies cheat his way to .500?  Imagine if he was clean.   He might of won .300 percent of his games.  Not good.  Not good. 

I think that will be more of a Nike issue.

14 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

I read he really liked Kansas State.  It's closer to home that is for sure.  It's not a slam dunk for UNLV.

“My main position is probably the two guard, but if you need me to, I can play the one guard,” Grill said. “I can shoot it pretty well. I can get to the rim. I’m just a winner and I’m tough. I compete for everything.”

A major need for guards has been one of the biggest selling points from UNLV’s T.J. Otzelberger, who was formerly the head coach at South Dakota State, as well while trying to sway Grill into joining him in Las Vegas.

Rated as the No. 403 player nationally in the class, Grill was a major recruiting victory for Otzelberger in Brookings as he chose the Jacks over a handful of other offers, including Power 5 schools Nebraska, Texas Tech and Washington State.

“He’s just been telling me they really need guards,” Grill said. “He’s told me they don’t have a lot of guards, but they have a lot of four men and five men, a bunch of big guys out there. They need guards badly right now is what he’s told me.”

Kansas State certainly has one leg up on the other three schools on Grill’s list just in terms of geography. But, Grill said while it would be nice to play close to home, it will not be the deciding factor in the school he ends up choosing to play for at the next level.

“Playing close to home is something special, but it’s not going to be the reason why I choose a school over another,” Grill said. “(The deciding factors will be) just how I fit in with the team, how much I’m going to get to play pretty soon and just the relationships with the coaches. That’s probably the top three.”

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Seems strange nothing is coming out yet.  Was Menzies dirty like that?  Or is this just overblown?

The money was paid directly to the guardian by Nike.  They haven’t shown that the money was to get him to go to UNLV.  I don’t see how it’s a violation that his guardian got paid by Nike.  The other scandals involve schools using the shoe companies to pay the players.