Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

Tillman would be a great addition.  The 2020 team would be an NCAA contender.  Also, 2021 will start to give a true assessment as to Otzelberger’s recruiting abilities as a head coach.  He did get good players as an assistant.

Yesterday it was reported on verbalrecruites.com that the five new new guys have now been added to the roster:

• 7/20/2019 - JUCO SG Jonah Antonio (6-5, 175, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2018 SF Moses Wood (6-8, 190, 3★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2015 PG Elijah Mitrou-Long (6-0, 175, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2016 PF Vitaliy Shibel (6-9, 210, 3★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2017 PG David Jenkins, Jr. (6-2, 190, 3★) | Position Rank: 51 has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.

Jenkins and Wood will have to sit out the '19-'20 season.  The other three should be playing.

Jenkins played for UNLV coach Otz at "the other SDSU".

Wood is a transfer from Tulane, where he played with former RunninRebel Jordan Cornish (who encouraged him to come to UNLV).

Antonio (originally from Australia) is a JUCO transfer and Mitrou-Long is a grad transfer from Texas, but both started out at Mount St Mary's in Maryland, part of the Northeast Conference.  They were teammates in '16-'17, but Antonio was a red-shirt freshman that year.  Mitrou-Long led MSM in scoring in '16-'17 and Antonio was MSM's second leading scorer in '17-'18.

Shibel comes as a grad transfer from ASU.  Never got many minutes there.

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Yesterday it was reported on verbalrecruites.com that the five new new guys have now been added to the roster:

• 7/20/2019 - JUCO SG Jonah Antonio (6-5, 175, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2018 SF Moses Wood (6-8, 190, 3★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2015 PG Elijah Mitrou-Long (6-0, 175, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2016 PF Vitaliy Shibel (6-9, 210, 3★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
  • 7/20/2019 - 2017 PG David Jenkins, Jr. (6-2, 190, 3★) | Position Rank: 51 has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.

Jenkins and Wood will have to sit out the '19-'20 season.  The other three should be playing.

Jenkins played for UNLV coach Otz at "the other SDSU".

Wood is a transfer from Tulane, where he played with former RunninRebel Jordan Cornish (who encouraged him to come to UNLV).

Antonio (originally from Australia) is a JUCO transfer and Mitrou-Long is a grad transfer from Texas, but both started out at Mount St Mary's in Maryland, part of the Northeast Conference.  They were teammates in '16-'17, but Antonio was a red-shirt freshman that year.  Mitrou-Long led MSM in scoring in '16-'17 and Antonio was MSM's second leading scorer in '17-'18.

Shibel comes as a grad transfer from ASU.  Never got many minutes there.

This gives me pause on Shibel - Not that he can't be better than expected, but then this coming season a lot of guys will need to be better than ever if UNLV is to even be decent 

38 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Now that the transfer portal has about stopped spinning here is how it shook out.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26530279/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

Article seems to imply that Juiston got a medical redshirt? So he could be eligible for two years. 

46. Elijah Mitrou-Long, 6-1, 185 pounds, PG, Jr., Texas
Committed to UNLV
Averaged 15.0 points at Mount St. Mary's in 2016-17, but couldn't bring that success to the Big 12. Last season, he averaged 5.6 PPG, 1.6 APG

Will be interesting to see if EM-L will be factor for UNLV.........he & the ASU transfer aren't bringing much in the way of numbers form their P5 programs - I'm in the need to see it column on these two players :hmmm:

More talent left UNLV than will be coming in this coming year 

4 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Article seems to imply that Juiston got a medical redshirt? So he could be eligible for two years. 

That's not how I understand it.  Without the medical redshirt waiver for last winter, Juiston would be done with college basketball already.

Last year was his senior season.  I believe he played in 8 games before the injury, which is a usually solid case for medical waiver and to restart his senior season this fall.  But oddly in January Menzies stated that they believed he didn't need to apply for a medical waiver since he had not used a redshirt season previously.  But I don't think that was correct (since he played in the 8 games the medical waiver may be a formality, but you still have to go through the process) and I suspect that was a big part of the holdup of Juiston transferring... the lingering questioning of if/when he would get the medical waiver since it wasn't requested until later.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:07 PM, UNLV2001 said:

This gives me pause on Shibel - Not that he can't be better than expected, but then this coming season a lot of guys will need to be better than ever if UNLV is to even be decent 

It will be interesting to see how Shibel fits in.

I saw more clearly how he might fit into Otz' perimeter motion offense after reading this:

https://www.houseofsparky.com/2018/1/24/16926012/asu-basketball-vitaliy-shibels-contributions-go-far-beyond-just-points

An clip from that article by Jordan Kaye:

Some say stats are overrated, though, and in Shibel’s case, truer words could not be spoken.  For some on offense, their job is to score. Others have rebounding duties. The 6-9 redshirt freshman’s responsibilities are much more complex, most revolving around helping his teammates.

He heads to the top of key to set picks, making room for a ball-handler to either drive into the lane or find space for a three. On other possessions, he runs to the corner and waits for an open look — spreading the floor in the process.

The Kiev, Ukraine native gave his thought process: “I see a situation and I’m trying to figure out what I have to do next,” Shibel said. “Sometimes when I see no one is in the corner, I will try and get there so I can spread the floor. If you have like four guards, I’m playing the five-spot.

“I have to roll because I don’t want to be the fifth person at the 3-point line.”

Shibel doesn’t get the credit for his game because, frankly, screens set is not an official stat. But one stat does seem to show that the Devils are a better team with him on the court.

Would be nice for Tillman to land here and get a waiver. Perfect spot for that stretch 4 position alongside Blair. He shot 42% from 3 in Pac 12 play and is nearly 80% from FT. With 2 years left there is a lot to still show.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Would be nice for Tillman to land here and get a waiver. Perfect spot for that stretch 4 position alongside Blair. He shot 42% from 3 in Pac 12 play and is nearly 80% from FT. With 2 years left there is a lot to still show.

sounds like there's a pretty good chance he lands here. good possibility for that waiver, as well.

If Tillman gets the waiver, this team will be deep for 2020 and even deeper for 2021. 

Have to be impressed with how TJO put a team together and it’ll be a fresh start for the fans. New players, new coaches, better energy etc. 

7 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

If Tillman gets the waiver, this team will be deep for 2020 and even deeper for 2021. 

Have to be impressed with how TJO put a team together and it’ll be a fresh start for the fans. New players, new coaches, better energy etc. 

Impact transfer.  UNLV is definitely heading in the right direction under Otzelberger.

26 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

That’s something we’ve been lacking for a decade. Starts with the head coach and on down. 

Everything that I've seen and heard over the past few months says that TJO is well respected and liked. He has earned the loyalty of his past players. He has obviously shown energy and effort towards  the job at hand. Many people are expecting another season similar to Marv's 1st season. That might very well be true with another coach like Marv. This staff is young and hungry. Effort and energy won't be their downfall. Putting together a whole new system and in a new conference is the big and as of yet unanswered challenge. 

That said I'm optimistic. The biggest questions won't be answered for months to come. A man fell off of the roof of a 10 story building. As he was falling people on every floor could hear him say "so far so good".