Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

It would suck looking back saying, "what if?", again as a UNLV fan, knowing there was interest from some proven guys.

Oh well. Full speed ahead Otzelberger era! 

I am a bit concerned about some of these players talent levels. Not saying theyre bad. Jenkins scored 19 in the summit. But the summit is terrible. So does that 19 equate to 12 in the mw?

Is this Totz top level recruit? But if he can win with its a huge plus for UNLV.

28 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Will reiterate, the Otzelberger hire is going to be very interesting for her career.  If he doesn’t make it there is going to be a lot of heat on her for not even entertaining the idea of going after a more veteran coach like an Alford or Anderson like some wanted.  Especially with Alford in the conference and if he does well.

That hire will be big, and what has been interesting to me (as a UNLV football season ticket holder) is the timing of hiring/firing in both sports, and the narratives that some people push about veteran coaches wanting to come here.  DRF chose to keep Sanchez for what is a lame duck season with "win or pound sand" expectations, and made that public.

At least that made the timing better for replacing Menzies.  The AD simply isn't financially solvent enough to be paying two buyouts the same year and replacing two discount coaches with "upgrades".

In football the chatter has been that Jim Mora wanted the UNLV job and that the booster money was there. but DRF turned it down.  Not sure I buy that either.  What happened in secret is speculation, but what is fact is that both Mora and Matta are still on the market, and Mike Miller (who several of these social media "celebrities" claimed should be UNLV's prime target, even though he didn't meet the degree requirement) didn't appear to be seriously considered for any other HC jobs.  If Matta takes the Michigan job then we'll know he was thinking about coming back, but starting salary there will probably be at least $5M.

20 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

That hire will be big, and what has been interesting to me (as a UNLV football season ticket holder) is the timing of hiring/firing in both sports, and the narratives that some people push about veteran coaches wanting to come here.  DRF chose to keep Sanchez for what is a lame duck season with "win or pound sand" expectations, and made that public.

At least that made the timing better for replacing Menzies.  The AD simply isn't financially solvent enough to be paying two buyouts the same year and replacing two discount coaches with "upgrades".

In football the chatter has been that Jim Mora wanted the UNLV job and that the booster money was there. but DRF turned it down.  Not sure I buy that either.  What happened in secret is speculation, but what is fact is that both Mora and Matta are still on the market, and Mike Miller (who several of these social media "celebrities" claimed should be UNLV's prime target, even though he didn't meet the degree requirement) didn't appear to be seriously considered for any other HC jobs.  If Matta takes the Michigan job then we'll know he was thinking about coming back, but starting salary there will probably be at least $5M.

What I was told about Mora is that he was hired and Sanchez was fired. Once word got out these things were in motion boosters and some others put pressure on DRF and the ath dept to keep him. 

Thats when I think she turned her attention to basketball. Makes sense not wanting both in one year. It also goes along with her not wanting boosters involved with the basketball hire.

13 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

As far as Mora is concerned, I heard that basically if she fired Sanchez this year that the Ferttitas would pull the plug on finding the football complex. We’ll see if Mora materializes next season. But it is starting to sound like DRF hates having her hands tied by boosters, maybe that’s why she went with someone that didn’t need booster support for basketball. 

Just speculation. 

On another note, when Grand Canyon fans asked Juiston when he was going to commit, he had said he was going to announce after graduation. I guess we will know soon enough. 

And when is the deadline those declaring for the NBA can return to school? 

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

But it is starting to sound like DRF hates having her hands tied by boosters, maybe that’s why she went with someone that didn’t need booster support for basketball. 

Its not an easy job, but she hasn’t ingratiated herself that well with the boosters thus far.  My hunch is she wants to be seen as a more autonomous AD so she can take credit for the hires if they are successful which will increase her P5 aspirations.  Thats tough though as she is hamstringing herself with money going that route.

May 29th is the date players in the draft need to make their decision whether or not to stay in or return.

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

As far as Mora is concerned, I heard that basically if she fired Sanchez this year that the Ferttitas would pull the plug on finding the football complex. We’ll see if Mora materializes next season. But it is starting to sound like DRF hates having her hands tied by boosters, maybe that’s why she went with someone that didn’t need booster support for basketball. 

Just speculation. 

On another note, when Grand Canyon fans asked Juiston when he was going to commit, he had said he was going to announce after graduation. I guess we will know soon enough. 

MGM and Konami went to Marta Meana as well and said they’d stop giving the university money if Sanchez left.  DRF literally fired Sanchez in a meeting with Meana and Meana said “no.” 

9 minutes ago, TheJackel said:

MGM and Konami went to Marta Meana as well and said they’d stop giving the university money if Sanchez left.  DRF literally fired Sanchez in a meeting with Meana and Meana said “no.” 

Yeah I heard it was something like that, but wasn’t sure about Marta.  Thanks. 

And yeah, the MGM wouldn’t want any competition from a decent UNLV team. :P  (Yes, for those that can’t tell, I’m being sarcastic here, lol)

1 hour ago, mundyc3 said:

Coupet is a grad transfer.

If he is, why isn't he showing up on the grad list from the athletics site?

"UNLV SPRING/SUMMER 2019 GRADUATES

MEN'S BASKETBALL (3)                             
Kris Clyburn, B.S. - Urban Studies
Shakur Juiston, B.A. - Sociology
Noah Robotham, B.A. - Economics"

https://unlvrebels.com/news/2019/5/17/general-more-than-70-rebels-set-for-saturdays-commencement.aspx

14 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

MEN'S BASKETBALL (3)                             

https://unlvrebels.com/news/2019/5/17/general-more-than-70-rebels-set-for-saturdays-commencement.aspx

He will finish up over the summer. 

23 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

MEN'S BASKETBALL (3)                             

He announced that on his Twitter. Probably finishing in summer

27 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

And Juis is out, in case there was any question. 

I was never really in love with Juiston.

He seemed to have a very high ceiling and a mediocre ceiling at the same time.

Marvs transfers have not had a ton of success.

2 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

DRF chose to keep Sanchez for what is a lame duck season with "win or pound sand" expectations, and made that public.

The Sanchez deal is completely separate circumstance and the program has extremely low expectations. Any other program, he’d be toast but Sanchez raised money for a 25 million or so football facility. Similar to the fundraising for the medical program/facility, the donors gave their money with the caveat that Sanchez will coach. They made it clear they want Sanchez given another opportunity. 

The Menzies deal, nobody wanted him and frankly his contract terms showed that UNLV really didn’t believe he’d last more than a couple seasons. His buyout terms were extremely strict, literally could not volunteer in any sports capacity otherwise the buyout would be voided. Doesn’t have to be basketball related. That was an unusual contract. 

Whats also unusual was that DRF decided to not have any donor money or donor input on the basketball search. Decided to fully fund TJO’s contract and do it her way. I agree with everyone that’s saying her career will be tied in with TJO’s success. 

23 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I was never really in love with Juiston.

He seemed to have a very high ceiling and a mediocre ceiling at the same time.

Marvs transfers have not had a ton of success.

Agree. He seemed to do well if there’s a primary scoring option and he can just focus on cleaning the glass. He’s not a dynamic guy but he’s a tough guy to box out and get rebounds against. He’s only played essentially  a season with UNLV and really didn’t match the hype he came with. 

Guess now we will see what Ntwambe decides to do. He would be smart to return to UNLV for one more season instead of taking the long and hard pro route or sitting out a season at UCONN/Nebraska etc. 

The best option by far for Ntambwe is to come back to UNLV if he doesnt like his status.

But Joel may be happy to earn a Gleague roster salary or play over seas.

It would still be a good sales job if Totz got him to stay, but doubtful.

So you develop more when you have school and other obligations, as opposed to when youre paid as a professional and basketball is your only job? Nah.

Plus, its easy for you to say as a fan who is not playing for free.