Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

This was in response to someone throwing Matta on Waddilove’s face. Take this for what it’s worth. 

Replying to

@Masked_Rebel

Not that it matters in the slightest anymore, but according to my people (Who i have zero reason to doubt), Matta met with the UNLV brass on 3/18. Was told that the 2 sides were locked in negotiations and prominent boosters would be footing the bill. Was told DRF didn't want it

On 5/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

You constantly bringing up the flat and skewed stat of the 11 MW wins (ALL against cupcakes) is puzzling because during the season you criticized others who used stats and portrayed yourself as someone who looks beyond simple stats and into the minute nuances of the game. 

Marv's conference "improvement" has been beaten into the dirt, no need rehashing it. 

I do agree that TJ was far from the big splash move that was essentially promised by DRF.  However, Marv was so painfully underwhelming, our historically bad attendance and apathy is proof of that. He had to go and i'm just thankful for a fresh start more than anything. 

I will give TJ his chance and we'll see what he can do here. At least hope is in the air again, that alone is encouraging.

Yet you rehash it.

I dont agree that the program was moving in the wrong direction, but whatever. 

You complain about MM beating all the cupcakes, but now we have to wait and see if Totz beat can even beat those cupcakes in the conference. 

You just trashed Rice for losing to those cupcakes. Youre just arguing all over the place to be disagreeable. Thats why you made up that bs story about nuances and stats.

Funniest of all you say im against stats directly after complaining about me constantly bringing up the 11 win stat. :facepalm:

24 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Apparently she didn’t want to depend on boosters right now.

24 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

This was in response to someone throwing Matta on Waddilove’s face. Take this for what it’s worth. 

Replying to

@Masked_Rebel

Not that it matters in the slightest anymore, but according to my people (Who i have zero reason to doubt), Matta met with the UNLV brass on 3/18. Was told that the 2 sides were locked in negotiations and prominent boosters would be footing the bill. Was told DRF didn't want it

The 1st part I had assumed.

The 2nd part I had not heard, but confirms my thoughts of amatuer hour with DRF. Not sure why so many are sold on her. That would be a disasterous move on her part.

All we can do is hope that Totz kills it and DRF comes out looking like a genius.

28 minutes ago, qwelish said:

No he didnt do quite well. He had 3 decent wins over his last two seasons.

Pretty much my point all along that winning in conference is a much bigger deal. 

Rice had the most success ever post-Tark vs. Ranked and power conference teams, and it wasnt partucularly close. He beat the #3 team in the country (Arizona) his second to last year, and also beat ranked Indiana and Oregon during a hot 7-1 start to his last year.  A liiiiiittle reach calling that "3 decent wins" as that alone is far more big wins than Marv has had his entire career.

Doing well in conference is a big deal, i'm in complete agreement with you on that. A lot of the Rebel Net Rice cultists totally excused Rice's poor MW performance every year with arrogant crap like "the MW is beneath us, we have our sights on bigger things", which I always thought was dumbfounding. 

All that still doesnt make Marv's 11 cupcake conference wins remotely impressuve to me nor does it indicate big improvement just cuz the numbers went up.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

17 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Yet you rehash it.

I dont agree that the program was moving in the wrong direction, but whatever. 

You complain about MM beating all the cupcakes, but now we have to wait and see if Totz beat can even beat those cupcakes in the conference. 

You just trashed Rice for losing to those cupcakes. Youre just arguing all over the place to be disagreeable. Thats why you made up that bs story about nuances and stats.

Funniest of all you say im against stats directly after complaining about me constantly bringing up the 11 win stat. :facepalm:

Where did I "trash" Rice in this post? Good lord you are overdramatic!

I expected a better argument from you, champ! 🤣

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 minute ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Rice had the most success ever post-Tark vs. Ranked and power conference teams, and it wasnt partucularly close. He beat the #3 team in the country (Arizona) his second to last year, and also beat ranked Indiana and Oregon during a hot 7-1 start to his last year.  A liiiiiittle reach calling that "3 decent wins" as that alone is far more big wins than Marv has had his entire career.

Doing well in conference is a big deal, i'm in complete agreement with you on that. A lot of the Rebel Net Rice cultists totally excused Rice's poor MW performance every year with arrogant crap like "the MW is beneath us, we have our sights on bigger things", which I always thought was dumbfounding. 

All that still doesnt make Marv's 11 cupcake conference wins remotely impressuve to me nor does it indicate big improvement just cuz the numbers went up.

Okay, so?

So if Rice lost to cupcakes, but MM beat them, how is that not improvement?

I never said it was impressive. It was slow and uninspiring. No argument there.

I dont want to keep going in circles with you. I get it.

Everyone is now fine with lowered expectations. I just remember not long ago that was a favorite tag line around here.

6 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Where did I "trash" Rice in this post? Good lord you are overdramatic!

I expected a better argument from you, champ! 🤣

Of course. Youve never trashed Rice. How silly of me. :rotflmfao:

Dammit... I keep hearing all these chimes that there are new posts in this thread and I take the screen lock off to see what the latest is on Juiston (off to Europe maybe?) and David Jenkins (commits at 5pm today, I think Central Daylight time - so 3pm Pacific?)....

...but no news... just Dave Rice and Marvin Menzies discussion.

Just now, BleedRebelRed said:

Dammit... I keep hearing all these chimes that there are new posts in this thread and I take the screen lock off to see what the latest is on Juiston (off to Europe maybe?) and David Jenkins (commits at 5pm today, I think Central Daylight time - so 3pm Pacific?)....

Just filling up the time with some banter til the commit.

1 minute ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Check back in 3-4 years, it will be the Dive Rice, Marvin Menzies, and TJ Burger discussion.

4 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I've trashed him a lot, but certainly not in that post like you implied!

Traditionally saying someone, "crapped the bed" isnt considered glowing praise.

But in fairness thats pretty light for you when discussing Rice.

9 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Man lol UNLV set themselves back. We gotta see how it plays out but I’m not buying the Rebels being Jack Rabbits in a race 

So far im looking at this roster and I just dont know. 

This coming team seems about as good last years team. Hes got a few scholarships to hand out so the roster could improve still.

The style could work, but are these players good enough to win 11 or more mwc games this year? Or will Totz lose to a bunch of cupcakes?

On 5/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, BleedRed702 said:

And if Mediocre Marv didn't get blown out by cupcakes, if he actually connected with the fan base, if he beat better teams, if he didn't recruit project players, and if he was actually a good coach............he might still be here. 

What a fun game the if scenario is. 

Not sure why Christian Brown continues to be mentioned.  He was finished with UNLV back in the fall long before Menzies future was finalized.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:38 PM, Balzac said:

How do UNLV fans imagine it looking like when it takes the court?

By the personnel, I don't envision it looking much like the Tark years.

Tarkanian seemed to focus a lot on the inner city kids.

Wood seems like a good kid. I'm looking forward to seeing this team fill the Thomas & Mack.

giphy2.gif

Jerry liked inner city kids for two primary reasons; he loved tough guys and given the environment they grew up in, conditions they lived in, they came in mentally tough and in a good number of them physically tough before they even entered a D-1 weight room.

The other reason, on average, great athletes come from those parts of the country.  Jerry, the coaching staff, looked for players with quick hands/quick feet in the recruiting process because there was such an emphasis on defense.

They felt they could teach them proper defensive techniques/fundaments, but obviously not much you can do about increasing hand and foot speed.  You either have that or you don’t.  Without those attributes you were limited in their defensive goals.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Replying to

@Masked_Rebel

Take it with the thinest grain of salt possible.  

Never really made it that far.  Boosters did have some conversation with Matta but he turned down their overtures.  Only he knows deep down, but more than likely was playing them for his OSU payment clause.

He is probably using her lack of interest in hiring a veteran coach, this was obvious from the candidates they met with, to concoct this to help himself (did he ever come up with anything about his grand proclamation about Warkentien becoming the AD?)

Will reiterate, the Otzelberger hire is going to be very interesting for her career.  If he doesn’t make it there is going to be a lot of heat on her for not even entertaining the idea of going after a more veteran coach like an Alford or Anderson like some wanted.  Especially with Alford in the conference and if he does well.