Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

15 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Pretty sure Mbacke Diong had the most starts of any of the returning players.

UNLV site had it wrong them - Had Diong with one or two starts - and also has no stats for players past last season 

UNLV needs to get their website updated 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good player. I know the CSU staff was interested in him until it became obvious he was headed to UNLV.  Word is that Minnesota was in on him late but he stuck with UNLV.

1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Good player. I know the CSU staff was interested in him until it became obvious he was headed to UNLV.  Word is that Minnesota was in on him late but he stuck with UNLV.

CSU, SDSU & UNR were other MWC programs offering 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

:Clapping:

I agree.

I wasn't expecting he would announce this soon.  Hat off to the coaching staff for solid recruiting of this young man.

247Sport said this..

"Three-star shooting guard Donavan Yap is paving the way for his high school through a slate of exhibition contests this summer, and as a result, he is boosting his recruiting status tremendously. Yap notched 25-point, 26-point and 40-point outings when Arbor View High School traveled to Phoenix for an offseason tournament last weekend. The Las Vegas native has received more than seven offers since his notable contributions, including Nevada and Fresno State."

On 6/27/2019 at 5:48 PM, Rosegreen said:

Yap is a must get for TJO, more so than Martinez. Should be the #1 target for 2020. 

On 6/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, Rosegreen said:

Yes, Yap is a gym rat. He can distribute the ball very well, create his own shots, has range. His improvement from last year to this year has skyrocketed. He’s going to be a stud. He’s a must get, I don’t know how he isn’t after watching his tape. He’s right there with Nix, imo. 

Didn’t expect to land him so soon but this is a terrific get for TJO. We’re pretty loaded at the guard spot in 2020, now he needs to start landing some bigs. 

7 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Didn’t expect to land him so soon but this is a terrific get for TJO. We’re pretty loaded at the guard spot in 2020, now he needs to start landing some bigs. 

Agreed.  Who is your money on as far as bigs?

1 hour ago, RebelTexan said:

Agreed.  Who is your money on as far as bigs?

Jarrett Hensley was recently offered. Seems to fit the prototypical player that TJO is looking for. A forward that can shoot and pass. Like Yap, I think Hensley is vastly underrated. 

Jaylon Martinez is probably going to commit to UNLV, and he’s bit of a project though. Not sure he’s a great fit in TJOs system. 

Mwani Wilkinson seems like an interesting prospect especially if he grows another inch. Could be a good forward prospect, sure he’s not going to fill up the stat sheet as that’s not his game. Some people may be alarmed when they see tweets of 5,6, or 8 points (all of which will probably be dunks) in a game from Mwani and think he’s not good. If you watch the tape, he’s an animal on defense and can lock down opponents best players. He’s a very athletic glue guy. 

Keep an eye on Jason Harris, was offered recently but I think he’s heading to Texas Tech or UA. Like Mwani, Athletic but with more offensive upside. 

This recruiting period for TJO was just trying to put together a team with who was available late. We’ve seen UNLV coaches over the past 8 years sign highly sought after players. It will be interesting to see if Vegas gets the same interest as in the recent past. How this programs performs and the type of ball it plays coming out of the gate is very important.

Utah transfer Donnie Tillman tells me he will visit UNLV on July 25th and is also now considering St. John's. Already visited both Rutgers and Illinois. #SJUBB

A trio of Amauri Hardy, David Jenkins Jr., and Donnie Tillman would put UNLV in the Mountain West title conversation in ‘20-21. Otzelberger has been really active on the transfer and recruiting market since coming to Vegas.

3 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:
Utah transfer Donnie Tillman tells me he will visit UNLV on July 25th and is also now considering St. John's. Already visited both Rutgers and Illinois. #SJUBB

A trio of Amauri Hardy, David Jenkins Jr., and Donnie Tillman would put UNLV in the Mountain West title conversation in ‘20-21. Otzelberger has been really active on the transfer and recruiting market since coming to Vegas.

2020/21 will be much more telling than this coming season for the entire program - This season is TJO's band-aid season like Menzies 1st season 

Thinking Hardy & Jenkins could be a top MWC backcourt in 20/21 - Biggest question will be the post players 

Results need to be seen in season 2 & beyond 

7 hours ago, quickdraw said:

This recruiting period for TJO was just trying to put together a team with who was available late. We’ve seen UNLV coaches over the past 8 years sign highly sought after players. It will be interesting to see if Vegas gets the same interest as in the recent past. How this programs performs and the type of ball it plays coming out of the gate is very important.

This coming season is a repeat of Menzies first season - a UNLV self-inflicted cobbling together enough bodies to field a team 

Season two & beyond is where the TJO hire will be proven - TJO has landed some decent guards & transfers, but I wouldn't call any of them as blue chip recruits - Menzies did land a few blue chippers, but Menzies also didn't have a "system" like TJO appears to have and is recruiting to ...........so maybe in TJO's system, UNLV doesn't need the 4 & 5 star recruits to get the program on the right track.

I'm giving this first season a pass like Menzies first season.........but come 2020/21 & beyond, there should be a marked improvement in MWC results & eventually post season possibilities........if TJO can get there with 2 & 3 stars & maybe the occasional 4 star recruit, I'm fine with it.........it might not be sexy for message board banter, but on the court results is what really matter.

We've been thru Lon Kruger who was accused of not recruiting at a high enough level, but he got lucky his kid came in & salvaged a sweet 16 run..........then came Dave Rice & he landed 4 & 5 star NBA caliber studs but couldn't coach them to the top 6 of the MWC, much less an NCAA win..........then Menzies was given a hand of crap, landed some decent talent but who knows what would have been the long term result as he had the plug pulled............now we've got TJO who's definitely seeming to be doing better on the local front, but has yet to land a noted national recruit or even coach a game, so here we go again with another coach 

5 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I know he went to Findlay Prep, but does his mom live here in Vegas? this should give him a waiver to play immediately.

After asking for a one year leave of absence from Utah so that he can be available to his ill mother and then turning around and throwing his name in the transfer portal and interviewing all over the country I can't see how the NCAA will have much sympathy for him.  I don't see him getting a waiver if he comes to UNLV.