Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

Yes, Yap is a gym rat. He can distribute the ball very well, create his own shots, has range. His improvement from last year to this year has skyrocketed. He’s going to be a stud. He’s a must get, I don’t know how he isn’t after watching his tape. He’s right there with Nix, imo. 

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

Yap is a must get for TJO, more so than Martinez. Should be the #1 target for 2020. 

How are they going to make room for him?  Not fill the last 2019 spot?

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

He better start landing some front court players.  MWC may not be great but this isn't the Summit League.  

Jhaylon Martinez is a priority target for Otzelberger.  Diong will be much improved as well.

15 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

He better start landing some front court players.  MWC may not be great but this isn't the Summit League.  

Lack of much of a front court will be this coming seasons weakness..........and so far there's not been much to bank on for the 2nd season & beyond - Early still but I'd like to see some interior talent, or is TJO just going to rehash the 1990's LMU style of play ?!?! 

56 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Recruiting at a higher level is the thing that will be a game changer if we have the right coaching staff in place. 

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jul/16/unlv-recruiting-targets-shine-at-prestigious-event/

I still think this coming season will be a dud..........but at least TJO seems to be trying much harder than Menzies to recruit locally which is a positive...........but nationally he's got a lot of room to improve & see who he can bring in.

It could be a dud in terms of W/L but I have expectations of seeing the direction of the program change. Young staff is building for the future of the program as well as their own futures.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

It could be a dud in terms of W/L but I have expectations of seeing the direction of the program change. Young staff is building for the future of the program as well as their own futures.

The change in style of play and offensive focus will be the most glaring thing this coming season - This isn't any surprise in that we all know TJO will go with a perimeter based offense and he's got to get his type of players in the program to make it work..........going to be an entire retooling of the roster...........this happened in UNLV FB between the passing offense of Mike Sanford & then Bobby Hauck's more traditional run/pass offense........only in FB it takes longer to repopulate the roster than in BB.

So if TJO & UNLV have a rough season, thing should start to turn in season two & beyond.

It's just that TJO has an extremely thin & limited roster this coming season (at least as of this moment) .......and it looks to me like a 6th place finish is about as good as it will get.

There are currently 12 guys on the roster & at least 2 will be sitting out leaving 10 players at best - for UNLV to make any run at a top half of the MWC finish, Elijah Mitrou-Long (Texas transfer) ; Vitaliy Shibel (ASU transfer) & Jonah Antonio (JC transfer) will have to put up way bigger number than they ever have 

The returning UNLV guys have a combined 22 starts from last season and Hardy had 19 of those.

Basically UNLV will have to avoid injuries over the entire roster........ hope to heck the new transfers play a sh1t load better than they have every played.........and hope the guys who barely played last year can make some serious contributions ..........and lastly, the shots from the arc need to fall at a damned good % 

The 2020/21 season already looks better just based on Hardy being a seasoned senior & transfer David Jenkins becoming eligible and his knowledge of TJO's system...........that could be the top starting backcourt in the MWC in 20/21 

10 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Pretty sure Mbacke Diong had the most starts of any of the returning players.

You are correct. Pomeroy shows 22 starts for Diong and 19 for Hardy.