Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

I was reading whatever I could find on Coleman yesterday and going back while he was in high school he knocked himself on long jump shots.  It didn't sound like shooting the three was his thing.  He sounds like a good character individual from what others here have posted but, I'm going to hold judgement on him based on what he said of himself.  He may end up being a solid point guard attacking the basket or distributing the ball and that may be his strengths.

Can't wait for the season to start to see how all this is going to shape up.  

8 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I don’t know Woodbury, he may have let that 4* rating go to his head, happens to a lot of players. 

I’m sure he’s a good dude, just wasn’t on the same page with TJO recruiting so many guards and shooters. 

I can tell you that as of 3 or 4 days before entering the portal that he was really excited about the program and the direction Otz was going. 

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I can tell you that as of 3 or 4 days before entering the portal that he was really excited about the program and the direction Otz was going. 

Yeah.  Seems he was gently pushed to enter his name in the portal.  

17 hours ago, RebelTexan said:

Woodbury was terrible at the one thing he was supposed to be good at, brick city.  He couldn't defend a lick either, so unathletic.  Coleman at least was serviceable and deserves the schollie.  Good for him.

16 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Just maybe Woodbury made his Own decision for his own reasons. There certainly has been a bunch of shooters recruited this past month but that was essential to run the type of offense that we expect to see. Otz will probably need 3-5 solid shooting guards to handle the floor and bench. I wish Trey the best. 

Marvin Coleman hardly saw the floor last year. That was a decision made by the former coach and doesn’t necessarily mean that he is incapable of being a solid contributor. I’m excited to see what this staff can do to develop players, especially the returners.

15 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I don’t know Woodbury, he may have let that 4* rating go to his head, happens to a lot of players. 

I’m sure he’s a good dude, just wasn’t on the same page with TJO recruiting so many guards and shooters. 

I admit Woodbury didn't show anything close to what I was expecting.....maybe he was over rated, maybe he just got set back due to losing his HS senior season and then the knee injury............honestly, from what I saw, Woodbury or Coleman is about a push 

Thinking that between Woodbury being gone and Coleman staying, there won't be a noticeable difference in the coming season and perhaps Coleman brings more to the defensive side of the ball than Woodbury - Wasn't it coleman who played some decent minutes in the win at New mexico and he played some solid defense in the key stretch of that game ?!?!

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I admit Woodbury didn't show anything close to what I was expecting.....maybe he was over rated, maybe he just got set back due to losing his HS senior season and then the knee injury............honestly, from what I saw, Woodbury or Coleman is about a push 

Thinking that between Woodbury being gone and Coleman staying, there won't be a noticeable difference in the coming season and perhaps Coleman brings more to the defensive side of the ball than Woodbury - Wasn't it coleman who played some decent minutes in the win at New mexico and he played some solid defense in the key stretch of that game ?!?!

Yep!

Roster seems pretty versatile. Its definitely more balanced than what Marv fielded last year, but not sure if its better than what was coming. 

Im hoping Totzball is the difference and these guys he brought in are legit. 

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

From what you've seen so far, do you vegas guys think TJ is a better recruiter than Marv?

From my end, it looks like he is, but I really couldn't tell you why.  

We don’t know yet. But he is definitely hitting the local high schools much harder than MM did, trying to strike up relationships with the high school coaches. Seems to be pretty engaged with the community overall. Some of the former players are still waiting to hear from him after reaching out, but obviously he’s been a little busy lately. 

I think the knock on Woodbury was that he was labeled as a shooter and that his game was more well rounded. 

He needs time on the floor, but not sure about his ceiling.

Didn't Trey have a few multiple steal games in very limited minutes? Some guys get better with time. Trey seemed like a hooper. He got some of his steals with anticipation. Thats usually a good sign.

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

I think the knock on Woodbury was that he was labeled as a shooter and that his game was more well rounded. 

He needs time on the floor, but not sure about his ceiling.

Didn't Trey have a few multiple steal games in very limited minutes? Some guys get better with time. Trey seemed like a hooper. He got some of his steals with anticipation. Thats usually a good sign.

I don’t think Trey had enough time on the court to develop, in any aspect. He did have some great steals from anticipation, and could read the court well. I think he is a better shooter than what he showed this last year,  never got into a rhythm and his lack of confidence got into his head. I was looking forward to seeing how he would do with Otz, but I guess he’ll have to prove himself somewhere else. 

Even with this small sample size I don’t see anything lost with Woodbury’s transfer. Coleman’s numbers were small but solid so using a scholarship for him was a good choice IMHO. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397437/marvin-coleman

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2439

On 5/23/2019 at 12:52 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

From what you've seen so far, do you vegas guys think TJ is a better recruiter than Marv?

Ntambwe is looking to go to the NBA or p5 school(plus UConn) 

TT african guy got picked up at Baylor!?!?!

Hardy is a beast!!!

Juiston has options many options

———-

he had a 5 star recruit second year 

———

pascal siakam is shooting for a max!!!!!

.... we have to wait on TJO but not enough data to go his way right now

On 5/23/2019 at 12:52 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

To me they seem almost identical. They both recruit to pretty specific systems. They both seem to miss a lot and cast a wide and international net.

I think the support Totz gets from the community will be the difference. That is if Totz can actually coach at this level. 

One of the recruits Totz landed was just excited to be offered by UNLV.

55 minutes ago, qwelish said:

To me they seem almost identical. They both recruit to pretty specific systems. They both seem to miss a lot and cast a wide and international net.

I think the support Totz gets from the community will be the difference. That is if Totz can actually coach at this level. 

One of the recruits Totz landed was just excited to be offered by UNLV.

For the limited time TJO has had and the late start he got in recruiting...........outside of Jenkins following TJO from SDS, I can't say I'm hyped by the recruits that have signed on 

From looking at this roster below (From LV SUN article) pretty much any strength is in the back court - front court looks below average for most MWC programs except AF & SJS - With the improved schedule, I'm thinking if UNLV plays .500 next season it will be about as good as it gets. and finishing 9th to 6th in the MWC - If TJO gets this roster into a 4th place or better MWC finish he's a magician :cheer:

Being guard centric, TJO's team will need to be tight on defense, create turnovers from the guards and hope to heck the guys shoot lights out from beyond the arc - Cause if opponents get the ball down low Diong, Dembele & Blair will pile up fouls and then UNLV is basically a 6-4 and under team of 3 point bombers 

Here’s how the UNLV roster breaks down as of now:

Guards

Amauri Hardy, junior - Solid player and should be the team leader next season

Bryce Hamilton, sophomore - Has great potential, it's time for Bryce & TJO to make it come out ASAP 

Jonah Antonio, junior - Shooter that UNLV needs

Elijah Mitrou-Long, senior - Needs to shine as PG next season 

Jay Green, junior - Back up 

Marvin Coleman, sophomore - Back up

Forwards

Nick Blair, senior - Undersized and will need to carry a big load

Vitaliy Shibel, junior - Needs to be the guy AZ St recruited 

Centers

Mbacke Diong, junior - Probably starting center, raw, but a shot changer in the paint

Cheickna Dembele, senior - Back up, but thin front line probably means he plays quite a bit 

Djordjije Sljivancanin, senior - Three years of bench sitting, who knows what he brings 

Sit-out transfers

David Jenkins, junior - Best guy TJO has brought in thus far but he a year away and should have a better team around him next season (hopefully)

Moses Wood, sophomore - Could surprise, But I'm guessing a role player