Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster - Roster for 2019-2020 and Beyond.

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

DRF & anyone with any small amount of sense had to know that cutting Menzies loose could lead to a lot of transfers out of UNLV - Now that it's done, we are pretty much left with the back half of Menzies roster and really nothing great incoming that is going to drive ticket sales in the coming season 

TJO has said all the right things & UNLV's hyped him way more than they ever did for Menzies..........but if this doesn't turn the corner in a couple of years, TJO's honeymoon could be short and become ugly pretty fast.

There's still time to try and land some players, but so far the recruiting has been average at best (if that) - Part of the future will be to see how TJO does with local recruits, but from this date (May 7 2109) this coming season is looking like bottom half to bottom 3rd MWC finish & not sure that step back in MWC play will excite recruits - Also, we still haven't seen TJO's "game" and how that sits with UNLV's fan base.

Just lots of questions and that's to be expected after a coaching change and when a relative unknown, untested new coach takes over. 

DRF is on the clock as much as TJO because she said a lot of things in her presser and thus far it's been pretty much ho-hum from what I've seen - Time will tell as always :shrug:

Thats like my last ditch hope thatthe Rebs can still be good this year. Maybe he can get some of these guys and the team playing over its head this season and show that his system, etc are going to light up Vegas. But that seems like wishful thinking. 

Im just thinking back to her bold statements, and now looking at this season seems like a tremendous downer. 

Meanwhile, I look around and people are just as happy as can be. It doesnt add up.

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Thats like my last ditch hope thatthe Rebs can still be good this year. Maybe he can get some of these guys and the team playing over its head this season and show that his system, etc are going to light up Vegas. But that seems like wishful thinking. 

Im just thinking back to her bold statements, and now looking at this season seems like a tremendous downer. 

Meanwhile, I look around and people are just as happy as can be. It doesnt add up.

Chalk that up to Menzies fatigue I suppose.........Menzies at no fault of his own was not anyone's main option to take over UNLV..........he was handed the job late and with literally no booster/fan support.

I've said from day one that cutting Menzies loose might not be the best idea unless there's a real game changer HC waiting, and now it's obvious there was no game changer coach waiting or even close to taking the UNLV job...........so now the anti-Menzies crew has their wish and Menzies is gone, but there's a major roll of the dice here with DRF spouting off and then the new guy being an unknown in TJO 

Ok, here we are with a roster of Hardy, Hamilton, Dembele, Blair, Coleman, Coupet, Sljivancanin and down with 10 scholarships filled ...........no interior player on the roster that would make a decent city league team worry ...........So it might be down to TJO trying like hell to convince Ntambwe, Diong & Juiston to stick around - If two or all three come back, then UNLV has a glimmer of hope for a middle of the MWC season..........or there is some unknown transfers with size and range still out there ................if the three bigs opt to leave, and TJO can't get a decent workable big or two, then it's looking like a long shot UNLV can get to the middle of the MWC 

I admit. i'm sort of ambivalent on TJO losing out on Grill - Grill IMO seems to be a guy who could be easily replaced on the roster. - He's not a 4 or 5 star recruit that might have been a game changer for the program & recruiting going forward.

If anything losing Grill hurts more in the perception of TJO as a recruiter as there was a lot of things pointing to Grill & TJO being locked in 

Anyway, next season pretty much hinges on either and or getting some guys to stay around or hoping that TJO can pull in some transfer that can shore up the paint or it's just another Menzies year one :(

16 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I’m still waiting for the new Italian sports car that was promised to all of us 30 year season ticket holders. 

Sadly you're mistaken.  It's a 30-year old Italian sports car promised to new season ticket holders.

IMG_0358.JPG

1 hour ago, mundyc3 said:

I am so sad because I was going to spend some time reading angry ISU fan boards if Caleb was to commit here. 

Same here, lol. 

But I figured he’d go to Iowa state, it’s a good program close to home. I did NOT ever think he’d go to Kansas St. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

I might be in the minority, but I’m not all that bummed we missed on Grill. We are going to be guard heavy for the next few years and what we need are bigs.

Agree - losing out of Grill isn't that huge - TJO needs some size if he can't get some current guys to stick around or transfer in - Shooters aren't that hard to come by so Grill wasn't a must have IMO 

11 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Chalk that up to Menzies fatigue I suppose.........Menzies at no fault of his own was not anyone's main option to take over UNLV..........he was handed the job late and with literally no booster/fan support.

I've said from day one that cutting Menzies loose might not be the best idea unless there's a real game changer HC waiting, and now it's obvious there was no game changer coach waiting or even close to taking the UNLV job...........so now the anti-Menzies crew has their wish and Menzies is gone, but there's a major roll of the dice here with DRF spouting off and then the new guy being an unknown in TJO 

Ok, here we are with a roster of Hardy, Hamilton, Dembele, Blair, Coleman, Coupet, Sljivancanin and down with 10 scholarships filled ...........no interior player on the roster that would make a decent city league team worry ...........So it might be down to TJO trying like hell to convince Ntambwe, Diong & Juiston to stick around - If two or all three come back, then UNLV has a glimmer of hope for a middle of the MWC season..........or there is some unknown transfers with size and range still out there ................if the three bigs opt to leave, and TJO can't get a decent workable big or two, then it's looking like a long shot UNLV can get to the middle of the MWC 

I admit. i'm sort of ambivalent on TJO losing out on Grill - Grill IMO seems to be a guy who could be easily replaced on the roster. - He's not a 4 or 5 star recruit that might have been a game changer for the program & recruiting going forward.

If anything losing Grill hurts more in the perception of TJO as a recruiter as there was a lot of things pointing to Grill & TJO being locked in 

Anyway, next season pretty much hinges on either and or getting some guys to stay around or hoping that TJO can pull in some transfer that can shore up the paint or it's just another Menzies year one :(

My best guess is that he signs Murphy and either two grad transfers or one grad and transfer to rs. I wouldnt be shocked to see one scholarship open going into August. 

I see the Grill situation as it does not hurt Totz perception, but it does set a trend. If he misses on Murphy it will definitely call the staff into question, but more so the perception of UNLV. 

Going forward I think UNLV is going to sign about 70% of its players right out of Las Vegas. With Slocum, new dobo Deshawn Henry and Mike Uzan the Lv Elite and Prospects are going to be the feeder programs for UNLV as well as other under the radar types like Mwani and Uzans kid who is probably 90% coming to UNLV. No clue where Buckley and Totz will get their guys from. 

So im actually not too worried about recruiting. They are obviously building relationships for 20/21.

I also feel differently about the existing talent. Im still high on Woodbury and Bryce. I think they play a lot this year in Totz many FOUR guard lineups we see this year. Dembele is going to ride a lot of bench because Totz is going to play the five best ball players  coach them up(I hope) and instill confidence in them. Thats what both of them lacked and I think they both settle in play their best ball under Totz. 

Green might also be a sleeper.

Grill would have been a big signing because he has an elite skill set regardless of ranking. Not one guard on the roster can match his athleticism and defense.

The loss hurts, but only for 2019. I think the staff loads up on locals and impact players in 2020. If not, it will suck because Totz makes a lot of money and we were promised more.

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

My best guess is that he signs Murphy and either two grad transfers or one grad and transfer to rs. I wouldnt be shocked to see one scholarship open going into August. 

I see the Grill situation as it does not hurt Totz perception, but it does set a trend. If he misses on Murphy it will definitely call the staff into question, but more so the perception of UNLV. 

Going forward I think UNLV is going to sign about 70% of its players right out of Las Vegas. With Slocum, new dobo Deshawn Henry and Mike Uzan the Lv Elite and Prospects are going to be the feeder programs for UNLV as well as other under the radar types like Mwani and Uzans kid who is probably 90% coming to UNLV. No clue where Buckley and Totz will get their guys from

So im actually not too worried about recruiting. They are obviously building relationships for 20/21.

TJO got in too late to make any connections locally on guys coming out in the current class & even next class (Strawther) - Agree he's looking farther out on locals - But it will be interesting to see of he can land the local blue chip recruits, that's where the program needs to be - But don't ignore the 2nd tier local recruits either 

TJO needs to corral the big time locals if he can and then fill the roster as needed with other local recruits where he can 

I really think this team is only two players away from contending near the top of the MW in 2019. Bryce, Trey, Jonah and Hardy is a good backcourt rotation. But for two guard positions, not for a three guard rotation. Even if you add Coleman that leaves no depth to run three guards. 

TJO definitely needs another guard and Grill was a really good one. At s dak st Totz ran four guards a bunch. I dont know if he ever went less than three guards. That means the roster is thin at least one guard position, maybe two. Youre kidding yourself if you dont think Grill plays and helps this team.

Ntambwe wants to play defense on the perimeter, but he is a pf in Totz system. Joel hates playing the 4. Seriously doubt hes back.

34 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I really think this team is only two players away from contending near the top of the MW in 2019. Bryce, Trey, Jonah and Hardy is a good backcourt rotation. But for two guard positions, not for a three guard rotation. Even if you add Coleman that leaves no depth to run three guards. 

TJO definitely needs another guard and Grill was a really good one. At s dak st Totz ran four guards a bunch. I dont know if he ever went less than three guards. That means the roster is thin at least one guard position, maybe two. Youre kidding yourself if you dont think Grill plays and helps this team.

Ntambwe wants to play defense on the perimeter, but he is a pf in Totz system. Joel hates playing the 4. Seriously doubt hes back.

Only Hardy is a top level MWC guard at this point - Hamilton & Woodbury have a ways to go as I see it - Neither would start on most MWC rosters outside of maybe SJS & AF - Now both have good potential and maybe this season Woodbury emerges as the shooter we thought he was coming out of HS, then you have Green, Coupet and Coleman 

It's up front where UNLV has bigger questions - if the current bigs leave & and until or if some bigs come in, UNLV heads into next season with a Dembele / Sljivancanin and a small Blair - That's a front line that no MWC team would not like to play against 

Otz taking Ls left and right on 3-star recruits.

Miller Bros would've had a couple 5-stars committed by now, just sayin'----instead our biggest signing so far is the 9th best Juco prospect 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

38 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Otz taking Ls left and right on 3-star recruits.

Miller Bros would've had a couple 5-stars committed by now, just sayin'----instead our biggest signing so far is the 9th best Juco prospect 

Firing Menzies was only the right move if DRF stuck the landing and nailed the hire.

Right now we are moving away from the end zone at lightning speed. 

I wonder how attendance does this season. I will be there.