Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

AAF in Danger of Shutting Down

58 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It makes you wonder if the old AFL would have made it in today’s football climate? That was one helluva league that featured wide open offenses and very entertaining. 

I've read that most pundits attributed the AFL's success to great timing.

1. It began being organized just after the famous Colts-Giants NFL title game which went into OT. By 1958, television had evolved enough that the Neilsen's for that game went through the roof. As such, a bunch of very wealthy football fans like Lamar Hunt sought to get the NFL to expand but those owners were too greedy to split up the growing financial pie.

2. Similarly, fans were hungry for more football content and the NCAA controlled college football content and refused to allow more games on the tube than a couple each Saturday. NBC, which had a lot more foresight than the NCAA and NFL owners, wisely saw a niche and was receptive to Hunt and his peers.

3. As soupslam said, the AFL also benefited from visionaries like Al Davis and Hank Stram who were bored by the NFL's three yards and a cloud of dust offenses and saw a benefit in putting on the field wide-open offenses which passed the ball twice as much as the NFL was doing.

None of those factors exists today and speaking for myself, if the AAF survives, that's fine. If it doesn't, that's fine too because I find the play to be at about the MACtion level and I sure don't watch those games unless I'm desperate for a football fix.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, DrBulldog said:

I gave been enjoying the AAF.  The NFL should step in and help develop this.  I think the payoff is there and fills a need.

America can never get enough football, at least through TV. I've really liked having games on when there isn't any other football available. The NFL needs another viable minor league football league outside of the NCAA. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

ESPN has been writing hit pieces on the AAF since its inception.  I guess attack the competition. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

in 1960 when the AFL was formed it had legit ownership of franchises and the NFL wasn't yet the dominant professional league in all of pro sports..........only took 4 AFL NFL super bowl match-ups before they merged 

Plus the AFL went toe to toe on signing college players - This AAF is limited in everything it does 

I believe there is another group that is trying to form another football league as well.

But in reality the times are just different. AFL was signing players the NFL wanted and all that. You had real competition there but I don't know if that could be set up now with the monopoly the NFL has on things.

19 hours ago, madmartigan said:

America can never get enough football, at least through TV. I've really liked having games on when there isn't any other football available. The NFL needs another viable minor league football league outside of the NCAA. 

Clearly we are getting enough football on TV between the NFL, College Football and CFL.  Every other league that has tried to generate interest/revenue through TV has failed. The only way to be successful on your own is to first build a core fanbase who attends the games. It is not a coincidence that the only minor leagues that exist are regional, with almost no TV presence.

The AAF's model is to become a farm system for the NFL. TV ratings are nice, but not all that important (think the G league or minor league baseball).  The model only works if the NFL cooperates and eventually buys the league. My guess is that this announcement is calculated in order to try to pressure the NFL to go in that direction.  If they don't indicate their interest now, why keep playing? It will just be a huge money sink.

A farm league is defiantly a positive thing, whether it's the AAF - of the likely more preferable being unbowed by the NFL - XFL...

Sky Judge is an improvement, and anything that brings actual football back to its standard definition of hostility is holy..

New-Signature.jpg

I completely lost interest after the first week. 

Look, I love football, but after the super bowl, I’m ready to do something else with my weekends. 

I think that’s how most fans feel, which is why these spring/summer leagues never pan out. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, DrBulldog said:

I gave been enjoying the AAF.  The NFL should step in and help develop this.  I think the payoff is there and fills a need.

Why would they, they already have a completely free farm system (the NCAA)

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.