Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NVBlueNeck

Called and Uncalled PI Penalties now Reviewable in NFL

24 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Very quick spin through the article and didn't see this answered.  No additional challenge flags I hope?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

PI is a total judgement call. So now you will have a booth guy judging in slow mo if it was pi. I would challenge any contact ever made by a db. The game will be unwatchable. Bad move for the NFL. Can't wait till offensive holding on lineman is reviewable. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

17 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Very quick spin through the article and didn't see this answered.  No additional challenge flags I hope?

Not sure if this answers that question, but cbs seems to have a better handle on the story.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-makes-major-change-to-instant-replay-by-making-called-and-uncalled-pass-interference-penalties-reviewable/

"To be clear: A flag would not need to be thrown in order for the play to become reviewable. So, under the new rules, the mistake that happened in the NFC title game, which prevented the Saints from likely going on to win the game in regulation, would've been fixed by replay review."

Fantastic that PI can be reviewed!!

This is the first positive change in FOREVER!!

On another note, does anyone remember when Dez caught it, then they reviewed it, and he dropped it?  Then later, the NFL said he actually caught it, but remember, in actuality, he dropped it...

New-Signature.jpg

35 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Not sure if this answers that question, but cbs seems to have a better handle on the story.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-makes-major-change-to-instant-replay-by-making-called-and-uncalled-pass-interference-penalties-reviewable/

"To be clear: A flag would not need to be thrown in order for the play to become reviewable. So, under the new rules, the mistake that happened in the NFC title game, which prevented the Saints from likely going on to win the game in regulation, would've been fixed by replay review."

So it's not a challenge by the HC or team?  That really truly sucks in my opinion.  Basically then, every PI on the field will be reviewed along with every non-called PI.  That's gonna cost me another 2 beers at most games.

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

So it's not a challenge by the HC or team?  That really truly sucks in my opinion.  Basically then, every PI on the field will be reviewed along with every non-called PI.  That's gonna cost me another 2 beers at most games.

You’ll lose timeouts...  Coaches aren’t reviewing every call..

New-Signature.jpg

COaches are limited to two challenges per game, and can get a third if they are successful on the first two and in the final two minutes of the first and second half they can only come from New York to review. They can review offensive and defensive calls.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

PI is a total judgement call. So now you will have a booth guy judging in slow mo if it was pi. I would challenge any contact ever made by a db. The game will be unwatchable. Bad move for the NFL. Can't wait till offensive holding on lineman is reviewable. 

They start reviewing offensive holding calls and the game will never end.

13 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

COaches are limited to two challenges per game, and can get a third if they are successful on the first two and in the final two minutes of the first and second half they can only come from New York to review. They can review offensive and defensive calls.

I asked above whether this new rule falls into this method for challenges and then if coaches were going to get an additional challenge.  The response seemed to indicate the new rule wouldn't be from a team's coach but rather the booth.  I hope the current method remains, requiring the coach to challenge the call and that the number of challenges remain at two.  Do you know this to be the case with the new rule?

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

I asked above whether this new rule falls into this method for challenges and then if coaches were going to get an additional challenge.  The response seemed to indicate the new rule wouldn't be from a team's coach but rather the booth.  I hope the current method remains, requiring the coach to challenge the call and that the number of challenges remain at two.  Do you know this to be the case with the new rule?

The coaches will be able to challenge PI and Non PI calls except in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half where those will come down from New York. But just like the replay rules we have now, New York can also stop plays to review them as well. Now i haven't read the actual rule, but from what I have read, the challenges that a coach has for PI is going to be seperate from the other challenges but that could be how some of the articles are written.

However kind of interested to read the rule because this does bring up some questions. PI is a judgement call so unless its obvious, you are using another person's judgement call to review it. Then do the same rules apply as on a reviewed play where there has to be conclusive evidence, since most PI calls there isn't I mean there would be no sense in challenging them then