Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboSage

BYU Looking...

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Stew is a great coach, but unfortunately people get too old for the job.

Stew is 66 years old.

I personally always thought that Stew was a much better coach than Dave Rose (just my opinion).

Stew is a little long in the tooth. I'm not sure he is LDS either.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, ole blu dude said:

Yeah.... he's not even a candidate.

31 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Of course he wouldn't come out and say "I'm being forced to retire because a few big donors don't want me anymore." All those other things might be true regarding his health, but there is an awful lot of smoke for it to just be a routine retiring. @Mano isn't trying to bash the Y, I don't think. Rose is a fantastic coach and a better person. I wish him well and truly hope it was his decision to walk away. 

Just repeating what I have been hearing on radio and reading in papers. Radio personality said this morning he had knowledge of this weeks ago, and was saddened by it.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/03/26/monson-dave-rose-is-gone/

The BYU basketball coach, who’s been sent packing — after a series of recent meetings centering on a proper buyout — by administrators

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2019/03/26/is-byu-basketball-coach/

When asked whether he was looking forward to retirement, Rose told The Tribune at the WCC media event last October that he wasn’t and couldn’t see himself doing anything else.

“When you reach 60 like I have, I think we can all admit the fact that I’ve probably coached more games in my life than I am going to coach,” Rose said. “So I do think about it. But the honest truth is that I don’t want to think about it and I don’t really want to talk about it beyond that. … So I would be lying if “I said I don’t think about it, but when I start to think about it, I just hope it never happens. That’s the way I feel right now.”

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, Mano said:

Just repeating what I have been hearing on radio and reading in papers. Radio personality said this morning he had knowledge of this weeks ago, and was saddened by it.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/03/26/monson-dave-rose-is-gone/

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2019/03/26/is-byu-basketball-coach/

You heard it from a "Radio Personality" and "In the Papers".   Any reason you don't just say Gordon Monson said it?

Just come out and say you heard it from Gordon Monson.   

We all know his journalistic weight in Utah.   Which is zilch....

Better to accept what Dave Rose says about it, than what Gordon Monson makes up in order to manufacture a controversy. 

Also, quoting Dave Rose from before last season means nothing.

Reading the Cougarboard from time to time, I know there are a lot of Cougar fans that wanted him out. I’m guessing they will be pretty happy.

I think the guy belongs in the basketball hall of fame with that record and inability to recruit black kids from the inner cities, that lets face it dominate the sport.

41 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Hate to state the truth but the WCC is a tougher men’s basketball conference than the MWC. 

WCC has one exceptional team (Gonzaga) and two others that would be top 5 in the MW most every year (BYU, ST. Mary's). THe rest of it is not impressive. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

Stew is LDS, but not practicing.  At least that’s what he said when he was at CSU.  I agree that he’s long in the tooth, but maybe he wants back in after taking some time off, especially for the right opportunity.

37 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Stew is LDS, but not practicing.  At least that’s what he said when he was at CSU.  I agree that he’s long in the tooth, but maybe he wants back in after taking some time off, especially for the right opportunity.

Stew was baptized when he was a young child but has never been an active or practicing member.....ever. He is definitely not coming out of retirement for this or any other opportunity. He had plenty of offers, many much better than BYU, when he was still coaching and he didn't take them. Not only does he not qualify as an active member of the faith, he does not have the personality that would jive or go over well at BYU unless they want to issue earmuffs to everyone within earshot of the bench.

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Reading the Cougarboard from time to time, I know there are a lot of Cougar fans that wanted him out. I’m guessing they will be pretty happy.

I think the guy belongs in the basketball hall of fame with that record and inability to recruit black kids from the inner cities, that lets face it dominate the sport.

No kidding, BYU can only inbreed so many Collinsworths, Emerys, Ainges, and Haws to fill-out a roster. The BYU basketball gene pool is shrinking by the day.....each generation they get a little weirder and weirder looking. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Guest #1Stunner
8 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

No kidding, BYU can only inbreed so many Collinsworths, Emerys, Ainges, and Haws to fill-out a roster. The BYU basketball gene pool is shrinking by the day.....each generation they get a little weirder and weirder looking. 

EnormousScaredFieldspaniel-size_restrict

On 3/26/2019 at 3:38 PM, ole blu dude said:

Unless he asked to have his name removed, I believe Stew is technically LDS.  His family was from Piute county, Utah, and were LDS.  Stew started his playing career at Ricks College, then transferred to Gonzaga.

Edit:  I should have kept reading before posting.  I see @RamSack and @TrueAg beat me to it.  My dad was on the Piute county high school basketball team with Stew's dad.

33 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Could it mean that it is tougher to get good players for the WCC than what you can get for the MWC ?

Then one would expect the WCC to have a lower conference RPI than the MWC as both conferences play out of conference games to help establish how they stack up against other conferences.  (one would expect good players would perform better against out of conference competition than bad players)  So I would say that answer to your question on an objective basis would be no.

This year, the WCC has a much better conference RPI (#8 to #16) than the MWC. http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html  In the past few years the conferences have flip flopped but prior to that the MWC used to destroy the WCC in conference RPI.  Hard to argue against the proposition that either the MWC has got worse, the WCC has got better or a combination of both. 

Guest #1Stunner
45 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Then one would expect the WCC to have a lower conference RPI than the MWC as both conferences play out of conference games to help establish how they stack up against other conferences.  (one would expect good players would perform better against out of conference competition than bad players)  So I would say that answer to your question on an objective basis would be no.

This year, the WCC has a much better conference RPI (#8 to #16) than the MWC. http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html  In the past few years the conferences have flip flopped but prior to that the MWC used to destroy the WCC in conference RPI.  Hard to argue against the proposition that either the MWC has got worse, the WCC has got better or a combination of both. 

I doubt that any MWC school could have competed with Gonzaga over the past 7 years.  Gonzaga has been highly ranked the entire time, and loaded with elite players.

And over that same time span, Saint Mary's has been as good as the best MWC teams.

So, BYU has "fallen" to about what you expect in the WCC---a perennial 3rd place team.

The main thing....as it stands right now, the top of the WCC is much more difficult than the top of the MWC.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I doubt that any MWC school could have competed with Gonzaga over the past 7 years.  Gonzaga has been highly ranked the entire time, and loaded with elite players.

And over that same time span, Saint Mary's has been as good as the best MWC teams.

So, BYU has "fallen" to about what you expect in the WCC---a perennial 3rd place team.

The main thing....as it stands right now, the top of the WCC is much more difficult than the top of the MWC.

Nevada would've given them fits last year and this year.

33 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The main thing....as it stands right now, the top of the WCC one team is much more difficult than the top of the MWC.

FIFY.... St. Mary's is good, but not great. I think the WCC top 3 (exception Gonazaga) are on par with the MWC top 3. The middle of each conference favors the MWC, IMO. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.